Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this? Residue of a previous flea problem ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this? Residue of a previous flea problem ?

Hi all - I am a fairly new groomer... Today grooming a min poodle I found all these specks ( I mean hundreds ) in his fur (just on his back). I don't know if the picture will do it justice. I thought at first.. flea problems...but I found no fleas on him. The specks didn't appear on his skin but about 1/8th of an inch into the fur.. It took 3 baths/rinsings to get rid the majority of it... the hv took care of the rest... The specks just seemed bigger than what I've normally seen. The one thing I've found about this job is you always are learning something new...

Thanks to all of you for helping all us newbee's out... you are very MUCH appreciated...
    Attached Files

Does he have dark skin? I have several that do this and it's always dark skin and I think it's just flaky skin. I do have some Pom's that do this that have allopecia. I also have a Great Pyrenees with dark skin that does this also. Maybe you'll get some other ideas. I would say that if he didn't have any fleas that it's not likely flea dirt.
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

can't be SURE but...

...It looks like dead skin to me.
      Peg

Comment

Sorry, pix are too small to tell.

Comment

hard to tell without a good close up, but it looks kinda like lice! Did it move at all? I've never seen lice in person, only in pics.

It could just be dry skin flakes.

Sorry...I'm not much help!

Comment

idk...

from what im seeing in the pics it looks like awful big spects to be flea dander but im more interested in what others say so dont take my word on it. most cases when ive seen flea dander its been spots here and there especially around the back of the neck and towards the tail...could be something from a plant...my babies carry in all sorts of debris from the great outdoors (my backyard...lol)

Comment

could be...

I see dogs with allergies, or thyroid, or other skin issues, get flakes like that, coating the body, and flying out with the HV. If the skin looks good, then maybe the dog had an issue and it's now under control, and the skin flakes have just been caught in the hair. As it grows, it moves away from the skin.

Comment

If it's not flea dirt, prolly just dead/sloughed off skin cells.

Flea dirt would have reconstituted to bloody water stuff when you hit it w/ H2O.
                Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Pics don't enlarge enough

Can't really see your photos, but I figure you know that flea "dirt" will dissolve after contact with water and turn rusty red, since it is actually digested blood.

So if this stuff didn't do that, it's not flea dirt. So then, is it dirt/sand? Or is it dark skin flaking? or what? I don't know.

Comment

If it was old flea dirt I would think the water would have run red but maybe not. I really cant see with the pics. How was the dogs skin? If the owners gave some type of flea treatment you may not see fleas, but still have the flea dirt from when they were there and the dog had not had a bath yet?

Comment

Looks like skin issues to me - allergies or thyroid problems can cause terrible skin problems. I have quite a few Shih Tzus with skin that looks exactly like this. You may want to try this product: showdogstore.com/e-zgroom-medicatedoatmealshampoo.aspx

Used on a regular basis, it has worked wonders for their skin. The owners won't change the dogs diet or get them tested for thyroid conditions, so I do the best I can for them.

Comment

gross. looks like bad flaky skin, not flea dirt to me. maybe next time ask the owners what they are feeding

Comment

Looks like greasy chunks of sloughed off skin from some sort of skin condition. I usually see that in Cockers. They are like oversized chunks of yeasty dandruff. Usually takes me 3 baths and rinses with a good degreaser to get most of it out - followed by a vinegar rinse.

Comment

A good exfoliating shampoo will help get rid of that.de greasing shampoos can cause more dryness which can cause more flaking in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by SiberianLover View Post
                              hard to tell without a good close up, but it looks kinda like lice! Did it move at all? I've never seen lice in person, only in pics.

It could just be dry skin flakes.

Sorry...I'm not much help!
                              Lice was my first thought too. The one and only time I have seen dog lice it looked like large flea dirt to me too, until it wasn't disintegrating and turning red when the water was turned on it. Then I noticed the little buggers had legs, yuck!!!!
                              I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                              -Michelangelo

Comment

Working...
                              X