Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone seen this type of lesion before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone seen this type of lesion before?

A new client with a Lab/Shep mix has been to two Vets for two different opinions. First Vet (whom I know to be excellent) did a biopsy and blood and urine. Said no to cancer and also said it is a problem he sees in GSDs? I've been involved with GSDs for 30+ years and also worked at a clinic and a shelter clinic and have NEVER seen this before...? Client was given meds (idk) and they had no effect. Second Vet (whom I know to be excellent) says the lesions look like cancer and wants to do more lab work and another biopsy.
    This dog is riddled with these lesions. Dozens on his legs, toes, back and head. Some large and broken. Many small and covered. Some solid, some fluid filled...
    I wondered about an allergic reaction and suggested a diet change in addition to continuing with the Vet's suggestions.
    Sorry about the ****** picture. I'm the world's worst photographer.
    Attached Files
    "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Ouch

poor pup... that looks really sore. Hope the vets can find a cause and cure! Was he good for grooming?

Comment

This looks like what I used to see these on cockers a lot (in Minnesota-some icky foot cocker thing). They got a lot better with clean feet (40 or 30) between toes. May not be the same thing. On the cockers they always started up as clear fluid sacks then burst and looked like that.

Comment

Two excellent vets with two very different opinions. If it were my dog, I would let the second vet repeat all bloodwork and biopsy. A food change shouldn't do any harm, but if a dog is having a food allergy of that extent, he really needs a very restrictive diet with very few ingredients. Maybe the owner could ask one of the vet's for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist.
        Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Originally posted by lillysmom View Post
          poor pup... that looks really sore. Hope the vets can find a cause and cure! Was he good for grooming?
          He was VERY good ;-)
          "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

new to me

I would check with a homeopathic vet too maybe. Sometimes combing modern medicine with natural remedies works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by borzoimom View Post
              Two excellent vets with two very different opinions. If it were my dog, I would let the second vet repeat all bloodwork and biopsy. A food change shouldn't do any harm, but if a dog is having a food allergy of that extent, he really needs a very restrictive diet with very few ingredients. Maybe the owner could ask one of the vet's for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist.
              I will reccomend they ask for a refferal. I thought about diet restrictions too and since all of the foods they've tried switching to were poultry based w/grains, I reccomended the Acana Pacifica (all wild fish, botanicals, and potato, no grain). It solved a digestive issue I was having with my cats due to poultry.

Comment

that looks awful!

I wouldn't think it would be food related but very well could be coming from contact with a substance. Probably not a true allergy, but maybe a sensitivity to something in the environment. Just a thought.

I'd say a vet dermatologist is in order. Hope they figure it out soon for his sake.

Comment

I keep trying to remember what excactly, but it reminds me of a parasite lesion.The food sounds wonderful that you suggested. Some parasites break out and cause oozy weepy wounds. It's one that has to do with rotting fish,keep us posted.
                  ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

boy, that looks sore. Here is a link to all things bumpy on dogs. Interesting, if not somewhat gross, read.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+1593&aid=424

Comment

Originally posted by scullysmom View Post
                      This looks like what I used to see these on cockers a lot (in Minnesota-some icky foot cocker thing). They got a lot better with clean feet (40 or 30) between toes. May not be the same thing. On the cockers they always started up as clear fluid sacks then burst and looked like that.
                      Yup I though the same thing. My cocker used to get that until I started trimming her feet very close to keep them dry. It’s a yeast infection of some sort and you have to keep up on it or it will come back. I just let the coat on the legs grow out long to hide the close trim on the feet and make sure the feet are always dry.

Comment

Have they done a fine needle aspirate and sent the sample to a pathologist? How old is the dog?
                        That Tenacious Terrier!
                        www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                        https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

How old is this dog? It kinda looks like calcium gout. My Bull Terrier had one on her face. After the vet injected it, it cleared up quickly.

I'd suggest they get a referral to a veterinary dermatologist.

Comment

Originally posted by Canopener Sally View Post
                            Have they done a fine needle aspirate and sent the sample to a pathologist? How old is the dog?
                            The owner only told me about the biopsy, blood and urine. He wasn't able to tell me what the meds were either. They had been finished and discarded. Neither vet has resolved the issue. The dog is six years old and seems to be healthy otherwise. Shiny coat, good muscle tone, clear ears, nose and eyes. His legs are sore and I could tell he didn't want me to lift them to trim nails. He was very gentle and cooperative though.

Comment

Working...
                            X