Price to purchase a standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price to purchase a standard

I know there are several breeders on here. My aunt and uncle are thinking about adding two standard poodles to their lives- hopefully not at the same time, lol. They are thinking about a white and a chocolate. About how much would they be looking at to purchase decently bred poodles? They will not be showing them, but I want them to buy from healthy lines without allergies and addisons and what ever other health problems are inherent to standards. They are in Oregon, btw.

I did a lot of research on line, and contacted a few breeders through out the country... I was looking at anywhere between 1200 and 2500..

Comment

Poodle Rescue $200-300 for an adult.... $1000+ from a breeder for a puppy. Sometimes you can find well bred retired adults from breeders for way less.

Comment

Ditto for Lonestar's answer.
        Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

You're probably looking anywhere from $1000 -$2000 for a pet quality from a good breeder. Most breeders would love to find a nice pet home for their retired champions. If they don't want to spend too much money, they should look into getting a couple of retired champions.
          Last edited by windfall4; 01-07-10, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Poodle puppies are anywhere from $1000-2000 depending on color (they charge more for reds, chocolates and parti). In florida the poodle rescue is awesome be VERY selective about placement. I know they require a 6ft fence...etc. I do know an awesome breeder in Tampa where I got my poodle. I ended up not getting a baby from her, but an adult where the owners could not longer afford her and returned her. She was 4yr at the time, fully housetrained and over the puppy stage and around $500. You might want to contact some breeders in your area to see if they may have a similar situation.

Comment

It has already been mentioned above, rescues are good dogs (IMHO) we have 2 standards that are both rescues. I can also share this tid bit with you... when my brother & sister in law were ready to adopt a dog.. rather than go through the house breaking, chewing and 'puppy issues' they chose to take my advice and contact breeders instead. When they did was send what would be considered to some 'a form letter' of why they liked "X" breed, what their home was like, what their time was, kids, etc... Breeders often get 'returns' for one reason or another, often not much more than 6 mo. to a yr! they are not show quality, breeding quality but 'pet' quality dogs but from their blood lines so you know their history.

Bottom line for my brother... he found a breeder, had a finished bitch, was bred once but he did not want to breed her again (she had a difficult time delivering) she was neutered, gorgeous and best of all... because my brother had taken the initiative to sent him this letter, praising the breed, offering ALL the info any breeder or rescue would want to know (and then some) he called them the day he got the letter and they went to see her.. the guy felt so good about this 'match' he said "how about we call it $50 just so it is legal"! She lived happily ever after, in a great home with 2 kids until she passed away at 16 1/2!

Comment

just so you know

Even the best breeders have health issues pop up once in a while... So don't expect a perfect dog just because you pay big bucks for it. To reduce the chance of health issues, adopting an older dog from a reputable breeder, is probably the best... but sometimes they are in higher demand than the puppies.

I'm selling my standard pups for $1050, for a pet. I'm fairly new at this though... a long term, reputable breeder may be much more, and there could be a long wait list...

Comment

OT. I was on the recieving end of a big lecture from my Std Poo client several years back.
                  There is no such thing as a chocolate poodle. They are browns.

Now I go out of my way to refer to them as "livers, mochas, hersheys, whatevers..."
                  Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

The lady that resucued the chocolate Standard Poodle that I posted the before pictures of a couple weeks ago is still looking to place him in a good home. He is a wonderful dog and getting him to your friends would probably way cheaper then buying one. At least the chocolate one. lol I know dog show people up here are very generous when flying out and if possible, taking a dog along with them to be picked up at the airport they are flying too.
                    Just give it a thought! Let me know if they would be interested. Below is the info she posted about him.
                    "Harley is a neutered brown standard poodle. he is approx. 6 years old. He was listed on craig's list, and when i talked to his owner, i knew i had to get him and find him a new home. He went to the vet the next day and got a clean bill of health.
                    He is a sweet, playful dog. he LOVES playing with simon, my 9 month old
                    male. he gets along with bluebell, my 2.5 year old female, but she has ended
                    up being the "third wheel". she wants to play with the boys, but they
                    ignore her. we also have a cat, and he is fine with her."

Comment

In my opinion the price of the puppy is nothing compared to everyday expenses of upkeep of two standard poodles. Especially in the first year of their life.
                      I don't make any assumptions about you relatives, it is just a general statement,if anybody finds themselves put off by the price of a puppy from a reputable breeder they should not get a dog at all no matter the breed. Most people do not take into account how much exactly it is going to cost them to own a dog.

In my area you could get a standard puppy between $300-$900 for BYB dog.
                      Most breeders around the country who do testing and showing/performance ask between 1500 -1800 for pet/show puppies depending on circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
                        OT. I was on the recieving end of a big lecture from my Std Poo client several years back.
                        There is no such thing as a chocolate poodle. They are browns.

Now I go out of my way to refer to them as "livers, mochas, hersheys, whatevers..."
                        LOL You are SUCH a trouble maker Did they mention that the brain is frequently out to lunch on browns?

Comment

Originally posted by Poodleboy60 View Post
                          LOL You are SUCH a trouble maker Did they mention that the brain is frequently out to lunch on browns?
                          Now would that be a "brown" bag lunch!
                          I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                          -Michelangelo

Comment

They understand dogs and puppy hood. They survived two goldens and a boxer before they have had the two shih tzus for the last few years. When Gizmo goes and Buster will probably not live much past that either, they will add them to their lives. They just wanted to know what to expect to pay. They had a friend who paid $3,000 for theirs and that seemed very high to me considering they have no interest in showing. I know even good breeders have health issues pop up, I just want them to do their homework before they buy, and I know the people here will not steer me wrong when the time comes. Both of their current boys were free dumps- Gizmo has a herniated back or something like that- his back is pretty bad- and Buster was found tied up in the rain and he has a kidney disorder and the vet told them to not expect to have him past 3. Now, this is the people whose boxer was 13 and both goldens were 14, so he may surprise that vet yet- there is lot of healing in the peace of being loved.
                            Thank you all for your information.

Comment

I'm looking for a Standard too. Actually, I'm pretty sure I've found the right breeder and am just waiting for the pups to arrive. From what I've learned on this site as well as a great Poodle forum:

The prices given here are what I've heard elsewhere.

Show puppies don't always cost more, but are sold on show contract (which requires the puppy buyer to cover show costs) and the breeder remains co-owner.

I would never pay more for a parti. They are gorgeous dogs, but they can't be shown in AKC, so it's actually cheaper to breed them. Most decent Poodles seem to finish their UKC Ch in one weekend and the grooming is easier for the UKC ring.

Be very, very careful about reds. Red is the "it" color and many not so great breeders have jumped on the band wagon. For some reason a lot of them think breeding reds excuses them from standard breeding practices. Some well known red breeders, show very little, only do preliminarly health testing and breed very young dogs. Then they charge more for their puppies.

JMO, but the puppy price should be based on the breeder's costs. If they don't show or do health testing, then they shouldn't be asking over $1000.

Comment

Working...
                              X