Alabama Blizzard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama Blizzard

So the weatherman says its going to snow here in good ole Bama. We should get a "dusting" to 1 inch around here. All the schools are closed Friday, and they just announced they are closing schools early today (as in right now) because of the snow. There is not a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk at a grocery store in town, and roads are already closed. (it has not even stuck to the road yet)

I came in today because I had a few yorkies that would dry fast and fft on a couple tzus and one big dog bath. Dontcha know the only dog to show up today was the Newfie bath that will take forever to dry, and dad works at the hospital so, he cant leave work early to come get him.

I know it seems funny to those of you who live where it snows often, but this town shuts down when something like this happens. I live in the county, and they will close the road to my house soon. I am kicking myself in the arse for comming in this morning.

So im crossing my fingers that I dont get stranded in this Alabama Blizzard that is suposta dump a whole inch of snow on us.

Go ahead and laugh.

LOL Sorry I did have to laugh. I live in Ohio and we do get snow, and some times a lot of it, but today it's snowing, we should only get 2 to 4 inches. They are so over reacting here it's not funny. The news people have people freaked out. Now if they were saying 2 to 4 feet I'd freak...but this is just funny. They also closed schools here this morning before it even started to snow. Geezzz I'm sure snow in your area is crazy considering were your at but people just freak way to much.

I hope you don't get stuck out in your inch blizzard LOL
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

Originally posted by I Care View Post
      LOL Sorry I did have to laugh. I live in Ohio and we do get snow, and some times a lot of it, but today it's snowing, we should only get 2 to 4 inches. They are so over reacting here it's not funny. The news people have people freaked out. Now if they were saying 2 to 4 feet I'd freak...but this is just funny. They also closed schools here this morning before it even started to snow. Geezzz I'm sure snow in your area is crazy considering were your at but people just freak way to much.

I hope you don't get stuck out in your inch blizzard LOL

I know....they are alrready closing the schools and letting others out early. I'm in Michigan. This is NOTHING. Apparently everyone forgot the amount of snow we were buried under this time last year.

Comment

I guess it all relative huh?

Hope you get home from work. No better place to spend a "blizzard" then under your own roof, in your jammies.

My corgi wants YOUR blizzard. (Had to rob my "Guess the Breed" thread for this.)
        Attached Files
        Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I guess people panic when they're not used to it. People that have moved south after living in the great white north shake their heads in amazement when 1-2 inches shuts everything down in the area. However, with no adequate way of removing the snow, it does make for hazardous driving. Heck, the plows don't even come out here until we get at least 3 inches if not more. Winter is providing a wallop this year to the northern states. Guess we've gotten complacent in the last few years with milder winters and less snow. Today it is about 8 degrees, the inch of snow we were supposed to get has now become 4 inches and it's still snowing and the wind is picking up... -17 degrees windchill. Looks like hubby will have to get the snowblower going this afternoon. One of our vehicles is 4WD, just in case...

At least your snow will melt shortly!! We have to wait until April!!

Comment

I'm with you, Dogspaw...

Here in Northeast Alabama, it's snowing!!!! Okay, so by northern standards, it's just "dusting" but for here, OMG!!! Clients are canceling left and right, people are freaking out and grabbing stuff at the stores. I'll tell you what, it is funny. But please, for all of you northern people, remember that the last time we even saw snow was in 1993!! And we shut down!! I think we had 10 inches or so. But anyhoo, we are prepared and lovin' this break!!!!

Everyone be safe!!

Comment

I too had to laugh. I mean, how can you get stranded in an inch of snow??! Here in Indiana we are expecting 8-10 inches by tomorrow morning. As of right now we have about 3-4 and I am going out to the store and post office after lunch. You southerners are too funny!
              Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

We're not laughing (tee hee)

It's not a big deal up here when it snows because we have salt trucks and snow plows and some training on how to drive in the stuff. I've been in the south through a 'blizzard'. It was about an inch of snow and people were panicking, they closed the roads and were warning folks to stay indoors if they could. I admit it, we giggled all the way to the hotel through the terrible storm, but it can be intimidating for folks not used to driving on it. In the morning, we dug a spot out for the ex-pens with a pooper scooper.
                I hope you make it home safe and sound tonight. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get home before they close the roads on you. Slow and steady will get you home in one piece. (At least the newfie will welcome the snow. He'll probably plop right into it the moment dad gets him outside.) We'll be thinking of you as I dust the inch of snow off our cars tonight for the ride home.

Comment

Originally posted by borzoimom View Post
                  I too had to laugh. I mean, how can you get stranded in an inch of snow??! Here in Indiana we are expecting 8-10 inches by tomorrow morning. As of right now we have about 3-4 and I am going out to the store and post office after lunch. You southerners are too funny!
                  Nobody down here knows how to drive in the snow, plus we usually have a coating of ice with our snow. The roads can only have an inch and people are sliding everywhere & running into ditches. I'm more afraid of the other drivers, than the snow on the roads,,,lol

Comment

Well us southerners don't have the plows to clear roads, we should be in the 40's here, it is 10,and going to drop to -1, without windchill. So our 1 ti 4 inches is more dangerous than where 1 to 4 ft is Normal.so laugh all you want, we can't put on chains or studded tires until late nov. It's the law.
                    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Yes, LOL, I've been out working when there was 12 inches on the ground and more expected. My mobile unit is really good in the snow thankfully.
                      My husband lived in TN for a while while in college and delivered pizzas. Because he grew up driving in OH he was used to the snow. They got about an inch and everything shut down, but his boss knew he would still deliver so they stayed open and were very busy. He showed up to an apartment building that had a slight incline to get in and out. There was a 4 wheel drive truck with chains on the tires that could not make it up the hill. My hubby got out and asked the guy if he could move his truck so he could get by. The guy laughed in his face and told him there was no way his Chevy Celebrity was going to make it up the hill if his truck wouldn't, but he moved his trucj anyway. Hubby drove right up and out. He said the look on the guys face was priceless. Also said his boss at the pizza place was thrilled with all the extra money he always made during "blizzards" LOL. But if you don't know how to drive in snow it is more dangerous so I would rather people not used to it stay home where they are safe. In high school on snow days my best friend would drive the 20 minutes to my house in her 81 Toyota Corrolla Tercel and we'd laugh as we slid down the roads. Mostly we were just catching the ruts of the other cars and this one was so small and light it couldn't do anything but get caught in the "tracks" and my parents never thought anything of it, nor did hers. It's all relative.
                      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I heard someone say up on NY somewhere they had 6 feet of snow. Is that true? If so that would freak me out that's for sure!! Everyone be safe and take it slow ;-)
                        "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

I remember the blizzard of 1993 very well! My daughter was in high school, her orchestra was on a field trip across the southern states - and they got majorly stranded! Luckily a church in Georgia put them up for a couple nights! I still remember my daughter trying to figure out what the big deal was!! The state wouldn't allow their bus on the roads...so I do understand - sometimes it's just hard for us "northerners" to realize that there is no way the snow can be removed until it melts!! I can't imagine counties and cities in the south investing in snow removal equipment for once or twice a year!

Comment

Wow

I have to agree that it's all "relative" to where you live and what drivers and people are used to!! Here in Southern Alberta, Canada we have had lots of snow this year since mid November - up to 4 inches at a time... and accumulating.... its been so friggin cold!! It gets down to -35 C here... its unusually COLD this year - should be around -3 C this time of year!! Yikes

Comment

Originally posted by borzoimom View Post
                              I too had to laugh. I mean, how can you get stranded in an inch of snow??!
                              Because they CLOSE the roads! I-565 which is the main highway here in Huntsville is already closed. Most of the bridges and overpasses are closed because most of the snow melt then froze again. Our snow storm has turned into ice. I leared to drive in Salt Lake City, Utah when I was a teenager and drove in snow for many years, but most of the people around here have not got a clue how to drive in it, so they close roads. There are several schools that have children stuck because the bus cant get down the hills. Its crazy. And im stuck at the shop for one stinkin (ok not stinkin any more) dog!

Comment

Working...
                              X