Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knot in stomach...head going to explode...need advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knot in stomach...head going to explode...need advice!

I'll try to make this short and to the point. I opened the paper this morning and was reading yet another letter to the editor regarding a recent incident where a pitbull was shot after attacking a police dog on training maneuvers in someone's backyard. The writer of this particular letter was making a good point about owner responsibility and leash laws when her letter suddenly veered off course into fiction...
    She began telling the readers about two incidents in which she and her friendly, helpless 150lb Rottweiler were attacked by dogs off lead. The first was a Dalmation and the dog's owner did nothing to stop the attack (her version). The second assault was by two GSDs owned by a local groomer/trainer who lives acroos from the park (see where I'm going with this?). These off lead dogs attacked her friendly, helpless dog and he did not defend himself and was injured and had to have a toe? amputated as a result (her version).
    (My version) Several years ago...somewhat strange woman w/out a dog in hand approaches me in the park while I'm training. Remarks that my dogs are off lead and that it makes her nervous because she was attacked by a Dalmation in the past. "So sorry to hear that", say I, "I live right here and will leash the dogs or go home when I see you." "Fine and thank you", she says. A few days later I'm walking through the park on my usual 3k trip. Dogs are on lead because I'm going on the street and through town. Strange lady approaches with big ol' Rottie who promptly rips his lead out of her hands and barrels into my male puppy. While I'm trying to break them up (she's just standing there) my female (Mama) wades in and proceeds to rip Mr.Rottie a new one. Finally I break it up by myself and run her dog off with my boots. I say, "leashes only work if you can hang onto them!" She leaves and is never seen or heard from again. Until today...
    Now for my question...Do I respond to this foolisness and possibly leave myself open to some baaad PR? Do I ignore it and just let it die, assuming that anyone who knows me or her will consider the source? Do I have her killed? j/k I don't want to offer my business up as a target for dog hating crazies but I'm so outraged by the blatent lying that I can actually feel my head expanding!! What would you do?
    "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

The only advice I can give you is: don't do anything while you're feeling like this. Wait two weeks and revisit your question. You might have a sane reply for yourself then.
    The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Maybe write a letter to editor (using only your name not company) explaining the dangers of owning guard dog breeds and not properly handling and training them. Reguardless if the rottie was on a leash this women did not HAVE CONTROL, danger danger alert. What would happen to a poor shih tzu who challenges her dog? Is she going to let the leash go? Her dogs toes would be fine and the other owner would have ended up with dead shih tzu. Small dogs challenge anything. Thank god you had large breed dogs or it could have ended up terribly different for this women. What I'm trying to say (not very articulate) is write, educate and show the other side of her irresponsible ownership of a large potentially dangerous dog without taking offense at her stupidity. She obviously does'nt get it but others who read the letters might.

Comment

Unless she's naming names or the average reader can point you out by reading her letter I'd let the whole thing go. Of course you could always write your own letter about the time your dogs were attacked by a large rott that got away from her owner, 'wink'.

I think if you try to ask for a correction in the paper you're just going to draw yourself into a battle that will have no winners. Most people probably won't take her seriously, or just read it and move on, I'm mean really, she wasn't walking a chihuahua, it was a rott who should be able to take care of itself.

Comment

I would seriously rant about killing her,, then after someone calmed me down ,I would try to let it die. If she wants to keep it up, you may need to have an attorney send a cease and desist prder, slander and liable are illeagle here, I hope they are there. Just remember no one who knows you will believe this trifling person. Good for mama,hope it didn't affect the pups socialazation(sp) .
          ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Let it go. It could only cause her to get crazier.

Comment

Don't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. And don't rent this broad any more space in your head than you already have.
              Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
              George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

I've been in 2 somewhat similar situations over the years, (the thing in print, not the off-lead dog) and here's what I did.

I wrote the letter. THE perfect letter. Vised and revised and quad-vised it.

Then I did exactly what Blue recommended. I put it away for a month with the promise that if I still felt inspired to drop it in the mail in 30 days...off it would go.

I never mailed either letter...and never regretted that decision.

How fricking annoying Five, but honestly, I consume Letters to the Editor like some people consume the National Enquirer...and I doubt I'm the only one!
                Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

incredibly annoying. But, as Odette said, no one who knows YOU will believe it.

And, you can't fix stupid.

Comment

Keeping it in perspective Fiveoclock

when I find myself getting wrapped up into the ennui of the dog/cat and grooming world I have to make a conscious effort to remember it is a VERY limited number of people who will possibly be my clients who pay ANY attention whatsoever to the false stories people attempt to float around about me.

I harken back to the days when I had nothing to do with this field and it comforts me to know that had I been the one reading the rumor, it would not have effected my judgement of or decision as to whether to use that groomer's/trainer's service in the least bit. Granted there have been a few isolated incidents where I have answered the accusation rumor head on when possible, but your situation is a vague reference and attempt by an apparent mal content whose opinions and stories are likely subject to anyone giving credence to. Think about it outside of our view. People just don't give a damn to put it bluntly. And neither should you. Hope I have not been too confusing. Martin
                    Last edited by BIG M; 01-07-10, 03:16 PM.

Comment

did she sign the letter?? this is defamtion period. are you known in the area as the dog trainer that "lives by the park with the GSD's?" if so get an attorney you may have a suit against her and the newspaper

Comment

Thanks everyone for all of the good advice. I'm going to take ALL of it... I'll take a step back and calm down, stop renting her space in my head, draft a letter and put it away, not do anything to stir the pot or make more "crazy", and if I see anything else in print, I'll contact my attorney for his advice. For now it's all about the deep breathing and small distractions. Right now I'm visualizing my head at it's normal size...
                        "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

That really sucks! I don't know what I would do. I love your comment about "leashes only working if you hang on to them." IMO, as a Rottie owner, you should be able to walk them on a shoe string. Very few people are physically capable of controlling and adult Rottie, or any 100+lb dog. It's all mental.

As for the comments about "small dogs will challange anything" and "it's not like she was walking a Chihuahua," they kind of bug me. Unfortunately, I've met many small dogs that will challenge anything and they are annoying as heck! I also think their owners are irresponsible and are just asking for their bratty dog to be injured. Small dogs should be just as well behaved as large dogs and if they aren't they shouldn't be in public. My Maltese has never challenged any dog, period. If he did, I would correct him. When it comes to these annoying little dogs that challenge anything, it would actually be nicer to have a small dog. Then I could pick it up and get it out of the ankle biter's reach. Unfortunately, I find myself trying to shoo away mini cujo, who is trying to bite my dog and doesn't seem to have a problem w/ getting me too, if I get in the way. All the while the owner, who thinks they are above training and the leash law b/c they have a "harmless small dog", gives me a dirty look. I guess I should know better than to walk my well behaved, leashed Rottweiler on a public street.

I think this can serve a valuable lesson to anyone. If an incident like Fiveoclock experienced happens to you, call AC. Make sure you're version is the one on official record. I always carry my cell when I walk Harley. If a dog runs out and tries to bite or the owner doesn't immediatley come get their dog, I call and report them. Even if AC doesn't do anything, I have my version on record.

Comment

I will also say, just as an aside (and not meant to add fuel): I'm a little surprised to hear that the paper added so many particulars- enough that readers could tell exactly who she was talking about, ie GSDs, park, groomer/trainer. My own local paper must take extra caution to not let the letters to the editor disclose the entity they have a beef about, to the point that it's damned frustrating to us who would like a little gossip with our morning coffee. I suppose that next time I am similarly frustrated I will remember hearing what it's like to be on the other side.
                            The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by Maltese_mama View Post
                              Unfortunately, I've met many small dogs that will challenge anything and they are annoying as heck! I also think their owners are irresponsible and are just asking for their bratty dog to be injured. Small dogs should be just as well behaved as large dogs and if they aren't they shouldn't be in public.
                              Agree 100%.

Comment

Working...
                              X