Shaggy Schnauzer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaggy Schnauzer?

I have a client tomorrow bringing in their Schnauzer. Over the phone she was very determined that I understand that they don't like the Schnauzer cut and like him to be shaggy. Now, I haven't seen the dog but has anyone ever done a shaggy schnauzer?

Generally shaggy and schnauzer equals knotty...lolol. It really depends on how much hair it has, if not way too much I would probably just bath, brush, thin with the coat king, trim the fringe and tidy up the outline slightly to leave it fairly natural. If it has a lot of coat and they wanted some length off I would most likely use the longest Wahl ss comb including the head, thin with the coat king and tidy the outline slightly to again leave fairly natural.

Comment

I use to do a black St.Schnauzer that was left completely natural with ONLY a sanitry trim under the pads .It was basically just a bath & brush,not even tidied around the feet or face/eyes ....nothing!
      It was a very easy groom,especially as the dog had a nice course coat.It really looked a lot like a black doodely dog!

Comment

I would do more like a westy head then (but maybe with fuller ears to keep a shaggy look) and keep the body longer but try to get more of an explanation from her to exactly what she wants with lengths and such.
        I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Comment

Yes, I have 4 Schnauzers that I do a 5 & 4 blades on the body, short legs,brows & beards.
          Of course it's great for the winter time in Indiana!!

Comment

We have many dogs of one breed that are trimmed to look like something else. Poodles and Bichons in particular. I can't remember the last time I put a Wheaten in an actual Wheaten trim. And Cockers decked out with "beards" and terrier-type legs on them.

If they want him shaggy, give 'em shaggy. It's their dog, a pet, and they can have it groomed any way they like.

Heck, I'll bet he'll be as cute as a button in a nice personality cut of some sort.

Comment

Yes, I have done shaggy schnauzers. I have one that I clip with a #5 on her back and a Yellow Wahl (5/8")Clip on Comb on legs and a #8.5 on head/ears. I keep a schnauzer pattern on her. I have a couple others that I clip all one length - even the face. It's not pretty, but the parents love the look.

You'll be fine.
              "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I do one that gets bathed and round feet, hair over the eyes rounded and basically brushed out. She is REALLY shaggy. Others I do with snapon combs to keep them longer and scruffier looking.....talk to them and figure out what they mean by shaggy.
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I've done shaggy schnauzers. I leave the body and legs longish (2 snap) and a westie head. Actually very cute.

Comment

Yes!

As long as the dog is well kept and has one of those coats that can actually "do" shaggy, it's fine. No clipping with any metal blade, usually. Someone here mentioned a 4 or 5, but most owners that want shaggy do not want that. (In fact, I pretty well consider a 5 to be a standard body blade for a Schnauzer, but I use a skip - I just hate that #10 body since I like the look of some "coat" on the breed.)

Anyway, just consider it a "Benji" and you will do fine. Think of it as a Shih Tzu that they want tidied, or whatever you have to think to keep you from making the dog too manicured for them, lol.

Comment

I have a regular client with a schnauzer that gets a regular sch trim in the warmer weather but a longer version in the winter I live in Northern Michigan and it gets very cold here.But to keep the dog in his breed appearance I use a 1 1/2 guard(snap on comb) on the back thinning shear the head ,skirt and legs to keep shape. It is very simple to modify any breed cut its all the same thing using guards and longer blades for a different length but same trim.

Comment

I've done the shaggy Schnauzer on occasion, too. Most are done with a 3 or 4 all over, head & face too. They turn out looking kinda like Schnauzer puppies.

Comment

shaggy

I too have a client that likes his schnauzer "shaggy". I use a #4 on head & am VERY careful about not knicking ears, etc. by hand scissoring those areas. Having said that, FIRST ask with dog in salon & on your table what is their INTERPRETATION of shaggy. I am often surprised when i get specific with my clients of their use of our technical terms of desired look. Show us a picture of the finished work !! Good Luck!

Comment

I have a couple of those. Use a #0 comb on the body and do the head differently depending on how the owner wants it. Some want more a rounded head, some have wanted a somewhat schnz head with eyebrows.
                            What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I have a couple who have come in saying they want their schnauzer shaggy. I did a peach or yellow laube on them depending on time of year. I still followed a schnauzer pattern but did the side of face and head with the peach laube (equal to a #2 snap on) cut the beard fairly short to blend.

Both families loved it and had me do it all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X