Another Business Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Business Question

I would like to save a name for my potential new business. Probably won't start it until later this year, should I have a name I want saved through the state? Or just wait until I know when I'll be able to start it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

if this is going to be a home based business or mobile you can get a DBA and register your name ahead of time, however if you plan on renting a salon your DBA will be registered to that address so you may have to wait until you have acquired the property to register the name but I suggest you check with your county clerks office to be sure of their guidelines.

Comment

You can copywrite a name, but you would need an attorney, boy they would get rich if we all used them as much as we suggest,lol. I don't know if a poor mans copy write is still legal,you could google it, have fun with your new venture!
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
        You can copywrite a name, but you would need an attorney, boy they would get rich if we all used them as much as we suggest,lol. I don't know if a poor mans copy write is still legal,you could google it, have fun with your new venture!
        It's not a copyright, it's a trade mark or service mark. Our mobile grooming business name and logo is a registered service mark in the state of Florida. No one else can use that EXACT name, but they can use variations of the words. No one else can use the logo, period. My husband did the Florida paperwork himself. As for an address, we use our company mail drop. No physical location address required. They just want to know where to send your mail.

You can also register with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on your own. You don't need to use an attorney. But an attorney can help you through the maze of paperwork.

Did I mention that this takes money. In Florida, about $100. For federal registration, last time I looked it was $225. If someone else registered the same name before you, you do NOT get the registration fee back.

Which goes back to why an attorney is helpful.

Laura
        "With God's help, all things are possible!"
        Laura Lee Ray
        I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

As for applying to get federal registration, you must be able to prove you have actively used the name in the business (state registrations don't) BEFORE they'll allow you to register it as a trademark/service mark. And for Federal Registration, the costs are now around $700 (it depends on the number of classes you select that your business will be in).

And don't forget, someone else CAN use a business name, as long as they aren't in the same industry (there are exceptions to this, for example, if you name your business "Sears", you can be forced to remove your name because "Sears" is a recognizable and "household" name, however if you name your business Wash and Go and somewhere else in your state there's a laundromat with that same name, you can use that name since the name isn't a "known" name and you're in two different industry's).

But it's best to always do an active search for whatever business name you want, before hand, just to see how common it is. Use google and go to the US Patent and Trademark Office website to search for the business name you desire.

For sure if it shows up in the US Patent and Trademark Office database, I'd think about coming up with a different name.

Comment

Working...
          X