first practice groom for competing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first practice groom for competing.

hey yall i am gonna compete in july at petquest. I practiced today on a bichon. I am taking a golden doodle to petquest tho. I have always just been a "pet" groomer and now i am working on learning the diff styles. I did this guy named dominic today. I got out my notes book and pulled up a pic on the internet and went at it. took me two hours i could have spent a lil more time but there was other pups that needed to get done. i welcome alllllllll comments on him. I will say i was short a little hair on the backs of the from legs, over the eyes and i used no extra stiffening products. thanks!!!
    Attached Files

Waiting waiting for pictures???????

Comment

Very nice.
      "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Wow! I'm not a competion groomer, so no help, but that looks great in my book! Wow so impressed! Everyone take note of this groomer!

Comment

I think looks really good. I just want to pinch that little round hiney!!! I'm sure there is stuff you should do for a compention,, but I' am no help, I'm just a "pet groomer" also. Did you hand scissor the entire dog or use a snap on then scissor???

Comment

I'm not a Bichon expert, hopefully BBird or DGPaw chimes in. I think your scissor work is beautiful. To my eye though he looks a little front heavy and his underline a little too "curvy" (I have a headache and can't think of the right term). Bichons are supposed to have more of a straight underline I believe and I do think the chest should come up to the elbow. I think that Bichons have more "boots" on the back feet. His rear legs look more poodly to me. And I only say all this about the rear legs because it's what I tend to do! I have a hard time not grooming my Bichons in a poodl-y fashion, but I'm working on it. And as I said, no expert, just going with my gut on this one and I could be wrong. He's just a little unbalanced looking to me.
            I think you will do very well in the comp though. Your scissorwork is great and the minor details I mentioned here can easily be tweaked.
            What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

The feet should be more like stovepipes, no "foot" or ankle showing, if that makes sense. Nice job!

I agree with Mylady, a little front heavy.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

He looks beautiful! Very nice scissorwork. If it were me, I'd personally take a little more off the hocks so the bottom of his hind legs look a little more balanced to the top of them. Also, mylady is correct, he is a tad front heavy. To correct this, you can scissor into the neck and even a bit to the shoulder really tight. (sometimes I'll use a #4) Most of the height in the front comes from the head/neck piece and not the chest/shoulder. I would also give him more of a gentle slope in his undercarriage instead of exaggerating it so, that will help with the "bobble head" effect.

He looks GREAT for your first time! I can't wait to see where you'll go from here. You have a strong future in competition grooming it looks.
                There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Looks very nice. Good luck!

Comment

thank you guys!!!!!!! yes yall hit on everything i thought too. I am my worst critic. I got frustrated with the underline and ended up running an e comb over it. I did an a comb on the short parts of his back and skimmed it down the sides of the leg. then scissored everything else. I was also a bit confused on the back hock on how long to leave it so now i know i can take it in a bit. thanks! as for the bottom of his feet he was coming from a pet trim so they have to grow. I do him everyother week so i will post more pics as it get better! Also....what is everyones fav products to use on a bichon?? his hair is sooo soft and i am sure all the best shot mist doesnt help lol.

Comment

Mmmm...for dogs that have very soft coats I will usually skip the conditioner and use a texturizing shampoo. There are a lot of good ones out there, depends on the brands you like. (Isle of Dogs has Stand Up, #1 All Systems has Crisp Coat, Nature's Specialties has Almond Crisp, etc.) Isle of Dogs also has a texturizing, bodifying spray for use after the bath called Style. If the coat is really stubbornly dropping, I'll bathe in the shampoo, rinse twice in cool water, towel dry REALLY well and use Style. Dry with a pin brush so you don't break the hair, or use the straight side of a Les Poochs brush. If you absolutely need to use conditioner, use a lightweight one. Isle of Dogs #50, or Les Poochs Light Creme Rinse.
                      There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Show Seasons Results Rinse is great for soft coats. Heck it's great on just about every coat!
                        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

thanks i was looking at the all systems today but wasnt sure if it was used for bichons or just terrier type hair. i am gonna order some and also some of the chris christensens white on white products.

Comment

Some of my fav posts on here are from [B]Lindsey Berry, AKA WinterElixir[/B]. I have saved some of her critiques, these two were originally linked via photobucket but are no longer there. The OP was by Fullgroom requesting a critique.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X