Sealyham Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealyham Help!!

Well, first it was my Bedlington,then the Bouv, now I get to do a Sealyham!!
    A lady came in today to book an appointment next week. She just drove from illinois to S.Carolina and bought him. He is 3 months { I think!}
    Like I always do when I have a dog that I have never groomed or even seen, I told her that I would research,read,research,look at pictures,so that I could get it how she wants it.
    Shes like," oh dont worry about,if you mess up,oh well,its hair it will grow back and besides,hes not gonna be a show dog"!!!!! Wow!
    I want it to look like a show dog though!!!
    SOOO,any tips,pics,ideas,Anything,would be greatly appriciated!!!
    As always,thanks sooo much!!

Great question, but only one and all knowing person can help you with this one! Hope she sees your thread!

Comment

Originally posted by caninecrazy View Post
      Great question, but only one and all knowing person can help you with this one! Hope she sees your thread!
      Good suggestion. I would sure like to see some close ups of Charmin,and the gang
      "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
      Quote:Cath

Comment

sealyham help

Sorry I could not find a whole lot when it comes to guidelines for you for this breed,but these photos should be of help.This particular breed like many terriers calls for hand stripping.However for a pet trim I recommend the use of a 5 or 4 on the back if you have skip toothed blades this would be your best option,no shorter than a 5 as this can soften the wiry coat #10 on the ears.I personally do not use a #10 on heads and necklines but many groomers do, I prefer to use #8 1/2 backwards for a smoother finish but if you feel more comfortable using the #10 then do so. if you look closely at this breed you will see variations in the style of different more commonly groomed breeds.I look at these less common cuts in this manner as it lessons the confusion and stress of trying to figure out what I am doing.When I see this cut I think of a cross between a westie and a Scottie for the body,head is similar to that of a Kerry Blue.. I hope this helps,good luck.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Sealyham%20terrier

Comment

I would use the dark purple wahl ss comb on his back, it gives them more of a natural handstripped look without the work.

Comment

I believe 'epilady' had a hand in the Sealy section of Notes From The Grooming Table,so that would be a good start.Also look up breed websites and breed club websites and find pictures.If you really want to go all out , the Sealy club of America has a very informative hand stripping and show prep DVD.
            I hope Epilady sees your post too.I cannot thank her enough for the help i received when preparing a Sealyham Terrier

Good Luck

Comment

Whatever you do, don't use the ones that were on a recent episode of The Dog Whisperer as an example. They looked awful! I'd use them as a what NOT to do example! Have fun with them, they are a fun breed to work with!

Comment

yep ask epilady or mr terrier (you could PM them). I have done that before and it helped greatly!

Comment

Try this link. Under Sealyham Terrier select "Pet Trim" Good Luck!

http://www.groomersreference.com/can...256F6800565332

Comment

The few times I had a sealy come in to be groomed, they were matted to the bone; on two I had to shave the beard as well as all the furnishings. Many have very soft coats that can mat terribly.
                    Tried to get them to come on a regular basis so I could keep the coat combed, but nope, all 3 came every 6 to 12 months.
                    Deidre

Comment

Ta-daaa!

Old fat lady in tights and a cape jumps out...Oh my, picture that....What they all said above^. If you use the Groomers reference it's ok except , the dog has more space(shorter) between the hind legs from the hock to the foot and I use a #7 against on the throat and head. If it has color on the ears or head you must handstrip to keep the color.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by epilady View Post
                        Old fat lady in tights and a cape jumps out...Oh my, picture that....What they all said above^. If you use the Groomers reference it's ok except , the dog has more space(shorter) between the hind legs from the hock to the foot and I use a #7 against on the throat and head. If it has color on the ears or head you must handstrip to keep the color.
                        The #7 reverse makes sense to me .I just hate that bald head look a 10 gives.I'm so thankful for the stone guide to grooming book I keep at my shop, you never know just when you may need it.

Comment

For a typical pet trim - Scottie body/Wheaten head w/fall.

Comment

I know this thread is kinda old but looking at that picture of "Charmin" just makes me want to run out and purchase a sealy! My what a beautiful dog. My DH thinks I'm crazy, I wish more people could appreciate the pure beauty in a well groomed, well bred dog. And what a great site this is that we pet groomers can get inspired to bigger things by our fellow professionals that excel so and show us the way. I really believe it makes me want to be a better groomer. Push it up a notch. Nuff said.

Comment

Caninecrazy

If you are refering to the dog in the photo I posted, that's Merci, Charmins brother. He is the one that won the group at Eukanuba last year and Best In Show at Great Western this year beating the Scottie (Best at Eukanuba this year).
                              Just to rattle your chain a bit , I still have a show boy that is by Merci for sale!

Comment

Working...
                              X