• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SharPeiMom
    Standard Member & Club 1,000
    • Jun 2007

I Dog Sat for the first time!!

For a client that has an adorable little Maltipoo. He's about 8 months old and is just the sweetest thing BUT I was a nervous wreck. My client was going out of town for 3 days and didn't want to leave him in a kennel (she thinks he gets too stressed) so she asked me to keep him. I decided to do it, mainly because I have thought about taking up pet sitting and I wanted to see if it would work for me. I have to say NO it will not work for me simply because I'm worried the entire time that something might happen to him. I wouldn't even leave my house even though he could be crated and he was as good as could be. I was soooo relieved when she picked him up. I think she was very happy to see that he was content. I even tidied him up a bit for her. It was a good experience for me but I don't think pet sitting is in my future. Im just a chronic worrier I guess. Does anyone pet sit for your clients and are you fearful that something will happen? I know I am perfectly competent but couldn't stop being so anxious.
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
  • Plexi
    • Jan 2007

Oh, I know how you feel as I dog sit for a friend of mine and all I could think of is what if this dog gets out of the fence or door and is lost!! And my friend hates me for the rest of my life. Her Yorkie is better trained than my own dog is, when you call her to come she really does!! Felt such relief when she pick her up.

Comment

• Debbiedogs
      Grand Champion & Club 5,000
      • Sep 2007

I enjoy dog-sitting

I like dog-sitting for hand-picked dogs, that is, dogs that I have met and groomed and feel that they are relatively calm, sensible dogs. They could be 4 pounds or 40, but the personality is what I assess.

Yes, I am hyper about looking after them safely, but my place was always safe; at times that my fencing was not dog-proof, no dog went out without a leash on. I am probably somewhat over-protective, but I did not worry the way you describe, I just was careful and observant. Of course, weird things can happen anyway, but if you were not negligent, then it is just one of those things that could have happened in the dog's own home with the owners.

I had up to 5 different dogs at one time in my house, and all was peaceful and they got into a routine quickly. Some needed crating, others did not. It was fun and the dogs were MUCH better off than in a kennel, and owners were always thrilled to be able to have me look after their dogs when they went on a trip, saying they did NOT worry about their pet the way they did when they had to use a kennel. Also, the dogs were clean and tidy when they went home (and I insisted that if they were in need of a grooming upon arrival, they would have one and pay for it, since the dogs were on my furniture and my bed!).

Dog-sitting is not something I would do when I am ultra-busy grooming, but at the time that I did it my husband worked from home and I groomed from home, so it was fun and enjoyable. Also at the time, I had no personal dogs, so there were basically no territorial issues with the visiting dogs.

I hope I can do it again sometime.

Comment

• neanea
        Champion Member & Club 1,000
        • Jan 2007

I just wrapped up 3 pet-sitting jobs over the holidays (last visit was this am) and was able to make a decent chuck-o-change while I was closed.

Do I worry, yes, but not to the point of stressing myself out. I just use my common sense, have the clients notify their vet that they will be out of town and that I will be caring for the animals, and treat their pets how I'd want someone to treat mine. It's not something that I do a lot of (since I go to their homes 2x/day), but I do take a few jobs throughout the year.

Comment

• Ali Kat
          Toy Member
          • Aug 2007

I think you can resolve most of your stress by writing a clear and detailed contract with the owner explaining the risks and responsibilities. Write it yourself so that all of your concerns are covered but have an attorney look at it to be sure all is legal. Make sure the owner READS it and understands all of it before they sign.
          If you stick with regular groom clients for boarding, you already have an idea of the temperament of the dog AND of the owner.

Comment

• BeeJL
            • May 2007

I may have to agree with SharpeiMom after what happened New Year's Eve...
            Had the cuitest Min Schanuzer staying with me. At the end of the day I came in the back door with an armful of towels for the washer. The lab who is also staying jumps up on me, my little terrier bounces off my knees, I can see Rosie. I say "Where's little Trizie?" expecting to hear "here I am, here I am, over here being cute". I throw the towels in the washer and no sign of Trixie. I search the house thinking she is hurt or sick, search the dog yard thinking mabye she went out the dog door and can't figure out how to get back in, I scan the big back yard--maybe she followed me out the back door at lunch, I check the front door--maybe it wasn't closed tightly and she is out front...somewhere. I look to see if her food and bed are still here--it's a longshot but she is due to go home and perhaps they came and got her. It's dark now and the weather is cold with light freezing rain. Now I panic and get my neighbor involved. After talking with my neighbor, I decided to go in the front door just to be sure it is closed even though I checked from inside. There is a note stuck in the door from Trixie's owner. It said she would be back for Trixie's bed and to pay me. She came to get her and thought I wasn't home--yes she did see my car in the driveway and lights on in grooming shop. I wanted to give her a bill that would bring here heartr rate up to where mine was.

Comment

• TawnyKitty
              Toy Member
              • Oct 2007

I own a grooming shop and a few of my clients ask me about pet sitting. I looked into my shop insurance to see what i covered. So for $8 dollars more I added pet sitting to my coverage along with Bond Insurance for $170 for $25,000. I only get a few clients but I charge what I think is alot $50 in my home or $65 in your home then $5 for each additional pet. At first I was nervous, but I got over pretty quickly when the extra money was coming in.

Comment

• Smart-n-Pretty
                Grand Champion & Club 5,000
                • Sep 2007

Crazy Chloe the Basset Hound went home this AM. Her parents gave me a huge tip, home made bread and butter pickles, home made dill pickles, farm fresh eggs gathered this am and a hug.
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

• Plexi
                  • Jan 2007

Good Greif BeeJL, my heart is in my throat just reading your message!!!!
                  That is a night mare<<>>

Comment

• SharPeiMom
                    • Jun 2007

Insurance is another question I have. If I keep someone's pet in my home do I need to have something other than homeowner's in case something were to happen? Other than the constant worry I actually enjoyed having him. He was more like a guest. I always enjoy grooming him. I guess grooming him made me understand why some folks want these designer dogs. He is just an angel. I would take him in a sec.
                    ~*~Robin~*~
                    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

• SharPeiMom
                      • Jun 2007

BeeJL, I don't know if I would have been able to handle something like that happening. You just have to wonder sometimes what people are thinking.
                      ~*~Robin~*~

Comment

• flemishr2cool
                        Teacup Member
                        • Mar 2009

I had my a pet sitting business while I was learning to groom and working part time as one. I pet sit in people's homes, with the option of staying overnight in their home for more. I have insurance specifically for pet sitters that go to the clients house, owners also sign a contract releasing me from natural death of pet, natural disasters, break ins if house is not locked or other people are coming into the home, etc.
                        I make a lot of money from this part time pet sitting job, cat only homes are the best paying jobs because it requires so little effort or time on my part, I visit 3 times a day for dogs for 45 minutes. Every client has been a repeating client. I don't worry about the pet at all, all pets go out on a leash unless owner has an invisible fence, and if owner is concerned about destruction than they need to provide a crate or they sign a waver. Never had an issue yet, the key to pet sitting is a good contract, and make sure the owner understands what is involved, what any risks could be (i.e. dog fights if dog comes to your house) and use precaution. I never assume the dog will come when called, isn't food aggressive, and won't bolt out doors even if owner says they won't. I use their regular leash and a slip leash when I walk them.
                        If you are trained to work with aggressive dogs don't accept the owners as clients, but if you are pet sitting at your house I wouldn't take any aggressive dog anyway.

Its not for everyone but if you are interested its worth looking into, grooming clients should already trust you to work with their dog and feel very inclined to use your extra service.

Comment

• TawnyKitty
                          Toy Member
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by SharPeiMom View Post
                          Insurance is another question I have. If I keep someone's pet in my home do I need to have something other than homeowner's in case something were to happen? Other than the constant worry I actually enjoyed having him. He was more like a guest. I always enjoy grooming him. I guess grooming him made me understand why some folks want these designer dogs. He is just an angel. I would take him in a sec.
                          I have extra business insurance that covers pet sitting. I also have a contract that protects me and my business. Its no joke just watching someones, pet doing them a favor so FiFi is not in a kennel. If something happens in your care you will be the first to blame. Trust me. You can go online I purchased a pit sitting business packet with all the forms. All I had to do was fill in my business name in the spaces provided and tweek it to my liking. Bam I was in business!

Comment

Working...
                          X