? for those feeding raw diets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? for those feeding raw diets

I used to give my dog a Pepcid AC when she was on kibble and had an upset tummy. I've been told that Pepcid AC kills the good bacteria the dogs need to digest the raw diet ... so don't use it.

One of my dogs has had indigestion since last night. What would you do to help the tummy? I held off on feeding her this morning ... figured I give her tummy a rest. She keeps going out to eat grass this morning.

what about pepto?? I feed a raw diet to my yorkies. I feed something called "digest aide". it has probiotics in it which will help with the good bacteria in the tummy.

Comment

I found slippery elm bark was helpful for digestive upsets with my dogs. For digestive upsets due to gas I used nux vomica.

A day or two of bland foods and organic plain yogurt may help as well.

Comment

Some good probiotics should always accompany a raw diet. There are several companies that make them formlated just for dogs. If your dog is on steroids at anytime, a raw diet is not acceptable AT ALL! Let her eat the grass as long as it is chemical free. It will help her eliminate (by vomiting or defecating) whatever is upsetting her tummy. If tummy aches are frequent, you may want to take a look at your protein source. My little dog can't handle beef at all. Mixed proteins also tend to upset her but if we stick to mono proteins such as one meal quail, one meal rabbit, etc. we don't havae any trouble.

Comment

Thanks all for your input. I didn't know that steroids were a "No-No" for dogs on raw diets. Learn something new everyday. I do give my dogs a probiotic & enzyme powder with every meal. In addition, I give them a tablespoon of pumpkin with their evening meal.

Mystery was solved yesterday afternoon when Shasta eliminated a compression knee-hi of mine. She loves to eat those stockings. I am very careful with them ... don't know where she managed to get that one. At least she's back to her old self now.

Comment

Originally posted by Athena View Post
            I found slippery elm bark was helpful for digestive upsets with my dogs. For digestive upsets due to gas I used nux vomica.

A day or two of bland foods and organic plain yogurt may help as well.
            yep, SEB is great for any digestive problems. I used it with my deer fawns with diarrhea and it worked wonders. Use it myself too if the need arises.

Comment

Is probiotic yogurt okay? I'm still on my raw learning curve. I give mine Orijen kibble for breakie,and plain probiotic yogurt and raw turkey necks for dinner?
              "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
              Quote:Cath

Comment

Originally posted by Poodleluv View Post
                Is probiotic yogurt okay? I'm still on my raw learning curve. I give mine Orijen kibble for breakie,and plain probiotic yogurt and raw turkey necks for dinner?
                Although most yogurts are not considered to be raw (heat pasturized), most dogs tolerate it very well. Make certain you are getting or making plain, unsweetened and in some dogs cases, low fat.

Comment

Working...
                X