Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price Increase letter suggestions, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price Increase letter suggestions, please!

Like many others of you, I am beginning price increases this January. Many of my clients are not home for their dogs appt and leave a filled out check or $$ for me. I am thinking of leaving a price increase note with their appt card and wanted some feedback on if this sounds ok or what would you change.
    Also, would you give a price increase on all the pets in a multi pet home, or maybe on just 1 or 2 pets and leave the others at the original price? In a 3-4 dog home, that could be an extra 15 - 20 dollars added to their bill, and that may not sit well with some clients. Or am I just being a weenie?

Thanks!

Dear (insert name)

With the increased cost of fuel, supplies and operating expenses it has become necessary for me to raise my prices by 5.00. The total for (insert dogs name) next grooming will be (insert price) .

Thank you very much for your continued support and patronage of XYZ Mobile Grooming.

I don't think I would put that in a letter (e.g. the increased cost of x, y, and z) because then some clients will expect you to lower your costs when x, y, and/or z decrease.

Rather, maybe something like this:

Dear (insert name)

Here at xyz grooming, we strive to keep all our costs low in order to pass on lower service costs to you and have kept our prices low for the last X years without any increases. Unfortunately, starting on 1/15/2010, our prices will increase.

So we wanted to let you know, ahead of time, that the previous cost of grooming for <dog's name> of $00.00 will now be $0000.00 as of 1/15/2009.

If you have any questions or comments concerning this change, please contact us at (xxx) xxx-xxxx.

Thank you very much for your continued support and patronage of XYZ Mobile Grooming.

Comment

I agree with Doc about not putting "why" you are increasing prices, but I think I would eliminate the "unfortunatly" part. That makes it sound like you are feeling sorry for having a price increase, and some may use that to try to get you to budge. Maybe just something like "new grooming price for fluffy will be XX.XX" and maybe include a one time cupon for whatever the difference is. Grocery stores and gas stations sure dont say sorry when they have to raise prices, and they dont even give you a warning.

Comment

Thanks Doc!! That sounds a lot better than my first letter draft! That is why I LOVE this board, I can always count on getting good advice! Any other suggestions? What about the increase for multi pet families? What do you think about that situation?

Comment

I also would not put in the part about "if you have a question or comment about this increase". Sounds like their comment may change your mind about the increase. JMO. I too am raising prices this year. I just write on their appt card "2010 price will be $XX" Only one comment from a client so far, I knew he would complain and was hoping he would seek another groomer, but alas.... he has not.lol He said, "prices going up, huh, I wish my fixed income would go up" I just replied, "well, I wish my water prices wouldn't go up, but it's happenin' anyway."
          Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Totally agree with everyone's comments, so adjust the example letter accordingly.

As for multiple dog families, here's what I would do. Take their current cost and add the percentage of the price increase that you are raising for all the other grooms. e.g. If your grooming prices are going up 4%, then raise the multi dog families by 4%. They're still getting a discount (because presumably their base grooming price is lower than the individual grooming prices).

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
              Totally agree with everyone's comments, so adjust the example letter accordingly.

As for multiple dog families, here's what I would do. Take their current cost and add the percentage of the price increase that you are raising for all the other grooms. e.g. If your grooming prices are going up 4%, then raise the multi dog families by 4%. They're still getting a discount (because presumably their base grooming price is lower than the individual grooming prices).
              Good idea! Anyone else have feedback on how they do price increases on multi pet families? I'm going to start my increases on Monday and want to be sure I handle it the best way. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

The most recent issue of Groomer to Groomer has an article about raising prices and has a sample letter for you to look at. I think you should check that out. It had some good advice in there. I think you can even read it online.

Comment

I would also document that you gave the letter to the client or left it on the door or table or wherever. That way you don't get..."I didn't receive any letter stating the price increase". Good Luck!!

The reason I mention this is I had a woman bring her yorkie for nails only about every 4 mos. When I increased the price for nails she through a tantrum. After she got home she called me and demanded the difference back $2 because no one told her of the increase. How am I to remember if I told her within the 4 mos. we see about 700 dogs/mo.? She has not returned. WOW!

Comment

I would address and MAIL the letters if you do not personally hand them to the client. I agree about the 'unfortunately' wording. The last time I upped my rates, I sent letters that said I appreciated their business and how happy I was to have such great clients, yada yada. As of blah blah date my grooming rates would increase by $10. This was a few years ago when I was way too low. Last year I increased just a few dogs by another $5 that had come on after that big increase. I simply told them when they booked their next appt, I have increased my rates by $5, so next time it will be $XX. No one was bothered one bit. I am so glad I did it because it increased my income just enough so that we aren't struggling anymore. If I hadn't done the increase, we would still be struggling to get all our bills paid, even though I thought I had a good business plan : ) It is amazing what a difference just a few dollars per dog makes in the end!

Comment

so would you raise it by only $5.00 or by $10.00? I am considering all this too. And find this an interesting subject.

Amante

Comment

Working...
                      X