Starting a food drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a food drive

Part of my new years "resolutions" is to give back to my community.

I've been thinking about this program for some time and the time has come to implement

I am going to start a food drive for those less fortunate who are struggling and having a hard time making ends meet. I've had several clients lately who have voiced issues about being able to keep their pets because of being laid off, etc.

I'd love to offer a drop off place for pet food donations, that would then be distributed to those who may be struggling with being able to afford to feed their pets. I'd also love to start a fund to help with vet bills and/or spay & neuter.

This is the year I will MAKE it happen.

I've talked with a client, who is a photographer and she's WAY into the idea of a fundraiser that would help raise money for the "fund". I realize I'd have to organize and shelter that money by forming a non-profit and that's ok. I just want to do this so badly. I've also been in touch with a couple of community groups and we're working on ideas for raising funds/donations.

Have any of you ever done anything like this?

Good for you! greatidea, never done anything like this. The meals on wheels here has a pet program that delivers pet food with the meals. Only thing like it I've heard of, but I congradulate you for taking the iniative!
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

The spay/neuter assistance is by far the best you suggested. It saves future generations of pets from suffering. It's only way to get the population in check and stop the mass genocide.

I do have a few friends working on a community spay/neuter program/fund that would provide low cost surgeries but more importantly, free spays and neuters for families that qualify.

I'd be interested in what fund raising ideas the photographer and you are working on. I work with a couple of rescues and would love to figure out how to use my photography to help.
      That Tenacious Terrier!
      www.thattenaciousterrier.com
      https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Renee, that is just...wonderful! Man, it does my heart good to hear about people like you doing things like that.

Although I haven't been involved personally, our community here has done something similar, in partnership with the local shelter and vets. Nearly every vets office offers significant discounts (sometimes up to 70%, depending on need and severity of the problem) to folks who sign up for the program, which provides free or vastly discounted pet food and/or vet services. The pet food is donated by local individuals, and companies - Wal Mart is actually one of the biggest contributors.

There is also a local organization that has volunteers who "foster" peoples pets for a few months at a time. This has been a big help in preventing a lot of family pets from ending up at our local shelter.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
        Lori

Most of the food is kept at the shelter to be distributed to those that need it. Any overflow (and there usually is, Chico is a town that lovvvves its pets) is kept at specific vets offices here in town.
        Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
        George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

My mom used to do that with her pet store; she always had a basket of pet food for the shelters and senior citizens.
          I've always wanted to do something like that but haven't and I think you've just inspired me to get my tooshie in gear and do the same.
          Thanks, Nea!
          ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
          Apparently common sense isn't all that common
          *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Thanks Y'all

I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement.

Now to figure out how to get this all organized, lol

Comment

The county where I live started something called "Plant a Row" last summer. It was a place to bring fresh eggs, fruit and vegetables for the poor. In the fall the fresh meat started coming in. Now they collect dry goods too and it is a regular food pantry. I am going to hook up with them and see if there are any dogs that need to be groomed and I want to provide dog food too. It seems that when people donate dog food, it is the cheap grocery store brands. I want to find a reasonably priced and reasonably good quality food to donate. And I want to keep up with it so the poor dogs don''t keep switching food from week to week.

Comment

I have been doing something along this lines for a few years, we call it Ani-meals :-)

I also called local Country Clubs to ask them to save me empty tennis ball cans- these are the perfect size to put a toy, collar, chew treats, snacks, etc. I also asked a few shampoo companies for samples and placed that inside as well.

I did the cans so that I turned down NOTHING pet related.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeJL View Post
                  The county where I live started something called "Plant a Row" last summer. It was a place to bring fresh eggs, fruit and vegetables for the poor. In the fall the fresh meat started coming in. Now they collect dry goods too and it is a regular food pantry. I am going to hook up with them and see if there are any dogs that need to be groomed and I want to provide dog food too. It seems that when people donate dog food, it is the cheap grocery store brands. I want to find a reasonably priced and reasonably good quality food to donate. And I want to keep up with it so the poor dogs don''t keep switching food from week to week.
                  I think that is a wonderful idea

Originally posted by Gracy Rose
                  I also called local Country Clubs to ask them to save me empty tennis ball cans- these are the perfect size to put a toy, collar, chew treats, snacks, etc. I also asked a few shampoo companies for samples and placed that inside as well.
                  Also great idea!!!!!

Comment

Yes - we've done it

A group of dog lovers in our town have done our second annual holiday pet food drive and it was a fabulous success. We are a very small town (several small towns in a large county) with a weekly paper. Our paper does a little article on the pet food drive before we get started and lists drop off locations (both vet clinics, a couple of the grooming shops, and a few other spots). I am mobile, so I give fliers and a spiel to all of my customers. We collect the food from the drop off locations and deliver it to our food pantry. The staff there are so grateful as they have many requests for pet food. We are thinking of doing this more often, but we are a small group and it can be a bit difficult to juggle collecting the food and bins, etc. Our food pantry has very limited hours as well. Our food pantry would be willing to take in kitty litter for their clients as well.

Our county has had a spay/neuter voucher program for folks in needs (gives them a discount of I think $25-30), but the funds are limited so it doesn't go as far as we would like. We do get visited twice per year by a fabulous mobile spay/neuter clinic - it is state of the art, too! They charge very little and the pets are in fantastic hands.

Comment

Working...
                    X