Seriously thinking of.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously thinking of.....

upping my Scottie prices beyond belief so I don't get anymore. I have a handful (and they always come in pairs, I swear) and all but ONE are just terrible. I get tired of the rolling, biting, pulling up of the legs, matting, head tossing.

I'm really thinking of making my starting Scottie price just astronomical so I don't get any new ones! Ugh! My hands and elbows are killing me!

I'm really just venting here....lol....but I am being serious about upping the price. If I never did another Scottie, it would be okay by me. No offense to those who love scotties! I will take all of your huskies instead! lol

I groom six scotties and they are all angels..well one only has 1/2 a halo. But I would be more than happy to trade you my huskies! that is the only breed that just isn't my cup of tea because any one I do cries and showes teeth through out the whole groom-oh except for the 14 yr old one I do is an angel.

Comment

I do ONE scotty and she is okay except for the feet and the head. She is absolutely impossible to do around the head!!!! Snapping..growling... whirling around to attempt to bite.....How can you do a scotty head when they are muzzled?? And the owners answer is to smack her in the face!!!! I actually had to stop the owner telling her there is no hitting in my shop. And of course the more she hit her the worse the scotty got so I guess I know why she learned to bite!!! But if the dog never returns, I would be fine with it. She is a stressful dog to do. The owner wants me to trim her according to the way they were done forty years ago when she was showing them and if I don't she tells me I am doing it wrong!! I explain to her that now they prefer to have a terriers muscles accented and no hula skirts. I never win.

Comment

I agree with you on the Scotties - they're really a pain...literally!

Luckily we only do a couple because the others were placed when their owners got sick of their aggressive antics. I never saw them again.

There must be some nice ones somewhere!!

Comment

I just lost my favorite scotty, still do 3, one of which is a screamer! only one bites on nails,so I don't do her nails. Mom understands.
          ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

They are so incredibly strong. I've had my share of bad ones. Slinging their head and cracking me in the jaw. I don't have any currently but my pricing would take my previous experience under consideration!
            That Tenacious Terrier!
            www.thattenaciousterrier.com
            https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

I have two of the best scotties that come to my salon. Both of them are so sweet and do very well with their groomings!!! I would love to have more!!!

Comment

Reject Scotties

Instead of simply upping the price, you can tell clients that you do not do Scotties. Period.

If they ask why, you can either make something up (their hair irritates me, I don't know why), tell the truth (I've rarely had a good one) or do something inbetween (I have other specialties so I prefer to concentrate on my specialty dogs). I have actually heard a grooming place say, "We are not accepting any more Westies because we have so many already." Cute.

There is no law that says you ever have to take on another Scotty FOR ANY PRICE.

There is no requirement that dictates that you must continue to do the ones you have.

That is the beauty of grooming for yourself, isn't it?

My list of dogs that I DON'T do is far longer than my list of what I WILL do, and what is the problem with that?? As far as I'm concerned, it keeps me enjoying work, and it allows the dogs I don't enjoy to go somewhere where they are appreciated. Win/win.

Give yourself a gift for the New Year - realize that you can actually choose to never do a Scotty again. And it IS your choice, so what is the point in taking any more on when you know that you don't enjoy them?

Comment

There are a few breeds that I do not like to do, that I charge more for. Scotties are one of them. I do have ONE Scottie that I moved back to regular price, but most are at least 10 more then what other dogs that size, coat, etc are. It takes me at least that much longer just to deal with them so if im gonna do them I charge more. I dont care if they take them down the road for cheaper, thats kinda the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiedogs View Post
                    Instead of simply upping the price, you can tell clients that you do not do Scotties. Period.

If they ask why, you can either make something up (their hair irritates me, I don't know why), tell the truth (I've rarely had a good one) or do something inbetween (I have other specialties so I prefer to concentrate on my specialty dogs). I have actually heard a grooming place say, "We are not accepting any more Westies because we have so many already." Cute.

There is no law that says you ever have to take on another Scotty FOR ANY PRICE.

There is no requirement that dictates that you must continue to do the ones you have.

That is the beauty of grooming for yourself, isn't it?

My list of dogs that I DON'T do is far longer than my list of what I WILL do, and what is the problem with that?? As far as I'm concerned, it keeps me enjoying work, and it allows the dogs I don't enjoy to go somewhere where they are appreciated. Win/win.

Give yourself a gift for the New Year - realize that you can actually choose to never do a Scotty again. And it IS your choice, so what is the point in taking any more on when you know that you don't enjoy them?
                    Hair Hair!
                    I have just this new year started targeting ONLY my specialty dogs ,which are for me DOUBLE COATS .I have put a list of the breeds i will accept as new clients up on my website and printed a big list for the salon.i remain committed to styling all my regular little fluffies as usual ,but i am sleeping easier knowing i will never have to groom a new one! and over time ,i will see more and more of my favourite grooms....after 24 yrs grooming i think its high time i did what i want ,what i like !

Comment

I add difficulty fees for dogs and cats that are ill behaved which can range between $5.00 -$25.00 above base price depending on the difficulty level. You may find that this increase will weed out those clients that just want a bargain grooming for their little beasties no one else wants to groom for the same reasons you don't want to groom them.for those that still groom Scotties for the same price as a westie Up that price, attitudes alone deserve more ans they are a beefier breed.My Scotties are the same as my Bichons.

Comment

I have several Scotties that I groom and only 1 that is really naughty, maybe I am just lucky or maybe since I am a terrier mom, I understand the personality better, IDK... Agreed, you do have to sometimes take a firmer stand with terriers, but I LOVE my terrier clients!

I have a couple of breeds on my "I dont groom anymore" list just because I dont like grooming that breed and their particular personalities. If you really dislike Scotties, put them on your "do not groom" list and just decline them when they call and tell the current Scottie owners that their dogs are just too rowdy for you to continue to offer services to.

Life is short - No need in having a breed on your schedule that makes you sigh and cringe everytime you see their name on that day

Comment

Right there with you

I totally understand....I've got two that come in one who I've groomed since he was 6 weeks and both are so bad... the one I can only shave he's back and head but can't ouch his feet.. the other is just mean but with sweet talk I can get him done.....
                          So far I don't get a ton of calls but the few I do cost alot.....
                          "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
                          and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
                          www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

NO scotties as clients here

When scotties are good they are great what sweet hearts but when they are bad usually they mean bussiness on what ever you do that annoys them.
                            I have a westie that I groom that HATES shampoo being put on her and she means bussiness. I have got to come up with a different method of getting shampoo on her . Since i am a small shop I just mix and use the old fashioned dish soap bottles .Some thing about that feeling on her skin i guess ...maybe use a sponge on method for her????

Comment

Working...
                            X