another pricing question?sorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another pricing question?sorry

if you charge xx for a wheaton terrier how much would you charge for a 4 month old puppy?she actually has 2 and they have never been groomed before.they are about 14 pounds so I cant see charging them for a full grown wheaton,any advice would be appreciated.thanks

I would tell the owner I'd have to see. I would give a starting point of so and so.... The puppies could be a breeze orrrrrrrr they might be matted messes and you know, being puppies, difficult to groom. You might be able to brush them out and worst case, s/d. Has the owner been bathing and brushing the puppies? You need to get as much info from the owner as you can over the phone but you'll still never know until you see the puppies. I don't mind giving an estimate but then I always add "I have to see the dog." Just because it is a puppy doesn't mean it should cost less. Puppies can be a real task and you need to have the patience of a saint because you do want to make the first grooming experience a positive one. Don't undercharge. I know I have and it's huge mistake. Leave the estimate open ended so you can pay yourself accordingly.
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I would quote your normal rates. After you work on the dogs, you could offer a discount if you feel it was necessary. I have found that you are taking up plenty of time that first groom to show the puppy what you are up to. You are training that puppy to behave properly for grooming and you should be compensated. How will you know how much you can do with the puppy until you are doing it? I often end up giving $10 off for the first groom if they are extremely good and very small : ) I just use my judgement at the time.

Comment

I really don't give discounts for puppies. I find that they take as long, if not longer to do.

I also found when I gave a puppy discount, I had problems when the puppy was growing up raising the price without the client making a comment on the price going up. I would always make it clear the price would go up at a later point, but the client always forgets.

Scott

Comment

I don't give discounts for puppies as they take just as long to do as adults; and you are training them in how to behave for grooming.
          I occasionally make an exception for a young puppie; 8-12 weeks when they are a fft instead of a full groom, but only a few dollars less than a full groom.
          Deidre

Comment

Actually

I had that exact situation. Two Wheatons. A five month old puppy that was at least Mini Schnauzer size, and a big to me, adult Wheaton. The pup tho never professionally groomed before was good and not matted. The adult was very hard to handle and had matted fur. I quoted $5 less for the pup, but ended up the same with the tip. I did not offer her my business card because she needs a different groomer who will take the large one. The large adult was too much for me. I told her he was just too big for me and too much work. I think she would have had me again, but I just don't want to do them again. If you are young and have the stamina and patience, then I guess it would be a good deal. I would have preferred two pups to pup and adult.

Comment

I charge the same price for puppies as adults. I discovered the hard way that when I discounted puppy grooming prices alot of clients had selective hearing when I said the price would go up as the puppy grew. They expected the same price at 12 months as I charged at 10 weeks and hadn't been groomed since the first time.
              ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
              Apparently common sense isn't all that common
              *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Puppy Discount

Funny story,, when I worked at a petsomething we had a family that came in every week for a puppy bath, which was a really, really good deal, and was good until the pup was 6 mos old. The breed? A newfie,,,,,, I thought it was funny, cause at 5 mos old the dog was already a horse,,, so much for puppy discounts,,lmao

Comment

I do not charge less for puppies. They usually take longer than adults, partially because I go a little slower to get the puppy used to the grooming process.

Comment

I charge less

I'm a bit different than most weighing in so far. First, up to about 5 months, most pups have really, really "light" hair that dries in a flash, relatively speaking. Second, I do not guarantee a full cut the first time. So what I do is basically a bath and tidy, so my price is about $XX-10 usually.

There are exceptions and unusual cases, but that's my typical. Also, I get to find out what is going on with the pup, demonstrate to the owners how to do certain things (hold the head, brush and comb different areas) AND warn them about the coming "change of coat". This is SO important, as newbie owners think that the light, fluffy, easy-to-brush puppy hair is what their dog will always have, so I stress that the coat will change and get heavier and matt easier. We try to establish a grooming schedule so that they will not end up with a bald dog through lack of information.

Anyway, I really enjoy working with puppies for the most part, so I guess I don't mind most of them being a bit less $$ even when they are a bit tricky. It works out with only a few being bad enough that I wished I had quoted more.

Comment

Originally posted by BengalCatGuy View Post
                      I really don't give discounts for puppies. I find that they take as long, if not longer to do.

I also found when I gave a puppy discount, I had problems when the puppy was growing up raising the price without the client making a comment on the price going up. I would always make it clear the price would go up at a later point, but the client always forgets.

Scott
                      Ditto

Comment

Working...
                      X