standard poodle home grooming pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• standard poodle home grooming pricing

one other thing -- i thought i ought to offer an introductory price of x$$$ for xxxx amount of visits and then go up to regular rate. how many visits would you offer at the intro rate taking in to consideration that i am not experienced with poodles.

I've found it's harder to raise prices later than to start off high.

Comment

Are you doing this until you feel more confident with your poodle trims? I can't say without seeing your work, how much discount for how long.

How inexperienced are we talking? You said you hadn't groomed a standard but have you groomed smaller poodles?

If just a little rusty, I wouldn't discount.
      That Tenacious Terrier!
      www.thattenaciousterrier.com
      https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

think about a price you'd charge, then triple it! LOL

Comment

i would be doing it until i felt more confident, which i hope wouldnt be more than 2 times. he has his dog groomed monthly. i have groomed smaller poodles, but im out of practice with clean faces and clean feet. ill put it this way, my confidence is on the lower end of the spectrum right now. i would say im a little rusty.

Originally posted by Canopener Sally View Post
          Are you doing this until you feel more confident with your poodle trims? I can't say without seeing your work, how much discount for how long.

How inexperienced are we talking? You said you hadn't groomed a standard but have you groomed smaller poodles?

If just a little rusty, I wouldn't discount.

Comment

I vote for NO DISCOUNT!!!! You are providing a good, well-needed service.

Comment

Is this the one you are going to do at a persons home? Take into consideration how long it is going to take you to dry the dog, nevermind the feet and face! I would not discount it, I am sure you can do a good job, it may take a little more time, but you will get it done.
              What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

I wouldn't discount your price but maybe $5.00 or $10.00: you may be less experienced than some of us, but you're doing the same amount of work and you should be paid as such.
                I would take what you charge for a mini. poodle at least double that and take it from there. Most of us can do 2 or 3 smaller dogs in the time it takes to groom one big one
                ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't discount. Like others say, it's a pain to raise it later on.

I went 2 years without grooming a Bichon. I have a regular now. Was I nervous, thinking I was rusty before the first appointment? Heck yeah. Did I discount? No way, I'm a professional, why would I do that? There are plentiful of breeds I haven't ever groomed or haven't groomed in a long while (a standard is one of them, it's been about 3 years since the last one). If your core skills are there, you'll be fine.

If I did give a discount, it would be one time only and make that clear to the owner.

But, and I'm not implying anything, but if you think there's a real possibility you will really, royally screw it up- maybe a different game plan. LOL
                  That Tenacious Terrier!
                  www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                  https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

I don't think you should discount at all. Schedule enough time to do a great job! Don't rush through the drying and prepping the coat. You may be quite surprised at how good he will look with ease when the prep is done well. Take your time and be detailed. If you are grooming every month, the coat will likely not be grown out much and you can follow whatever pattern there was from before. Get a book, such as Notes from the grooming table or find an online reference to print out and take with you if you are worried about the pattern for the face and feet, etc. When I was still pretty green, I found that if the dogs looked and smelled clean, were properly dried and brushed and the clip was even (and if I took some time to bond with the dog), then the client was happy. Even if the styling was not perfect, they didn't seem to notice, and if they did, they didn't mention it! I just made sure to perfect that groom more and more every time I saw the dog ; )

Comment

Aren't they paying for the convenience of you coming out to their house? If they are doing that for the dogs comfort, maybe you tell them that clean feet and face may not be the best idea anymore for the comfort of the dog. See how the dog is first.

No HV, I couldn't do it.

Also, this should cost more than if he came to your shop. This is a specialiized service. I wouldn't discount anything. You'll end up doing fine, and then not be able to get what it's worth. And god knows we don't make enough out of those time eaters.

Just saying....in my opinion, housecall should be expensive.

And just look at the standard as a slightly taller groom dog. You'll do fine. Act confident, even if you aren't. It will rub off on to how you really feel.

Hopefully this makes sense...I just took my nightly meds which sometimes make me loopy

Comment

thank you very much everyone. ill give you an update when i have one!

Comment

recirc bather and housecall grooming

During the weeks my van was at the shop getting rewired after the squirrel incident, I did housecall grooming. I put my surge in a bucket and carried it in; used it, put it back in the bucket and carried it back out.
                          It worked great.
                          Deidre

Comment

I remember one of Chuck's posts about a client enquiring as to the pricing on a toy poodle. Chuck said it should be more than a standard poodle since he has to hire a midget groomer and buy tiny tools. The point bing that standard poodles are easier to groom then the little ones. Boy do I agree!

Comment

Working...
                            X