standard poodle and time needed to groom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• standard poodle and time needed to groom

i want to know how long it takes good poodle groomers to groom a standard. I have been grooming for five years and have still not done a standard. today i had an interview with a man who wants to have his standard groomed at home as his dog is 11 yrs and no longer likes going to the groomer.

so this would be home grooming, not in a shop with a big blower etc. and i have no idea how long this should/will take as:
    1. it will be my first standard poodle
    2. poodle feet and face are involved (so i'm out of practice with those)
    3. it is home grooming

i was honest with the client and told him this and he thanked me for my honesty but i have to figure out pricing and time. so i was wondering how long it OUGHT to take -- how long it would take a person good with poodle grooming to do a home grooming job.
    thanks!

Well I don't really think of myself as an exceptional poodle groomer but my pet trims, I've never had a complaint.

First what does he want? If it's a short kennel clip, I'd give myself 2-2.5 hours. For the first visit I'd go ahead and allow 3 hours. I'd be conservative on a time estimate, especially for the senior dog.

You'll at least need a HV dryer I would think. Doing this job with a hand held hairdryer-nightmare.

We all have our own pace. I'm in no rush because I don't have to be. So how long should it take? How many licks does it take to get to the center of tootsie pop?
    That Tenacious Terrier!
    www.thattenaciousterrier.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

I've been grooming for 5 years and own a standard, so I'm not a stranger to grooming one, but there are others on here with MUCH more experience than I.

My S'poo has a lot of coat at the moment and it takes me about 20 minutes to bathe/condition, 45 minutes to an hour to thoroughly dry her with an HV, and another hour, hour 1/2 or so to finish her (greatly depends on how much I'm doing to her) So for SHOP grooming, approximately 3 hours give or take.

If I was just clipping her short (say a 4 or 5 all) with TK, ears, FF, then probably 2 hours.

Never tried it without the help of an HV dryer, but would feel REAL sorry for some one who was trying that in a clients home Gonna take FOREVER, unless you preclip short.

Comment

also 2.5-3 hours here, but that is w/ the help of the hv. That is really the thing, in any length of hair, standards take a while to dry, I can't even fathom how long that would take w/ a hand held.
        I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
        -Michelangelo

Comment

the poodle looked like his body was done with a #4, his ears are not trimmed but natural, and his legs were left with longer hair, maybe a 1" comb? but poodle feet and face and im out of practice on both of those. im in no rush either but i did explain that my forte is not speed. patience and kindness are. and if they were looking for a precise poodle clip then they might want to try someone else.

i did say you know it will be hard with a handheld dryer and he offered to help with a second blow dryer (which is not what id want to happen!) but this is the scenario. i think the owner might buy something like a double K dryer.

Comment

Can you take your HV dryer there? Does an 11 year old STP really need clean feet? Just throwing those two questions in there!!!

Comment

I think alot of the time depends on length, how often it's groomed, how the dog behaves, and how big they are.

I can usually get my standards done within 3 hours if they aren't on the scissor finish side. If I have more scissoring to do on the legs it'll take me longer.
              ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
              Apparently common sense isn't all that common
              *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

you probably would want to add an extra 2 hours or so to what you feel you could do it in a shop, to this home groom with a hand held dryer. If you want a quality groom, that is. So your looking at about 5 hours +/-

I know in your other post, you were asking about pricing and you'll need to figure all that time it's going to take you to do and then figure how much per hour your willing to settle for if your discounting. But I would definately price it PER HOUR.

Why can't you use your HV dryer from the shop?

Comment

No HV or stand dryer. I'd just say "No" If you consider the cost of your time, it's going to be expensive for the owner and unnecessarily so.

If you're gonna be doing house calls regularly, I'd go ahead and get a HV. If not, the owner needs to invest in a dryer.
                  That Tenacious Terrier!
                  www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                  https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Originally posted by Canopener Sally View Post
                    No HV or stand dryer. I'd just say "No" If you consider the cost of your time, it's going to be expensive for the owner and unnecessarily so.

If you're gonna be doing house calls regularly, I'd go ahead and get a HV. If not, the owner needs to invest in a dryer.
                    Ditto. AND....at the age of 11...no way would I put a Std. Poo through a handheld dryer.
                    Even in good health...he's bound to be completely exhausted by the time you simply finish the bath and blow dry. It'll be like trying to groom a curly tablecloth.

It takes me 2 to 2.5 hours...with all the proper equipment, to bathe, dry, clip and scissor legs, and do F,F, tail and TK. on a Std. w/ average coat. Add 1/2 to a full additional hour on one w/ crazy-good coat. (But I'm no rusher.)
                    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

If you do decide to go with this, please consider offering to do the bath, dry and brushout one day and coming back the next day to do the haircut and nails, etc... I had to do this with a very old, large Chow 5 years ago when I was doing house calls. It sucked to go twice, but I charged for the time (even though it was waaay too cheap) and it was easier on ME and the dog, too. I was still pretty new at stuff and it took me a long time to groom anything ...Just an idea...

After having said that, I have groomed standards with hair like brillo pads and those with fine hair that dries in 20 minutes...you never know.

Comment

wow you guys are fast it always ends up taking me 4 hours to do a st. poodle with a short body and scissored legs. 1 1/2 to bath/dry and 2 1/2 to cut and scissor. I think I just get caught up and focus to much-no more red bull for me!!

Comment

he has his dog groomed monthly and he is a standard standard! not a standard on the smaller side. i forgot to ask how many pounds. it would be a scissor finish on the legs.

Originally posted by Moonpiepoodlz View Post
                          I think alot of the time depends on length, how often it's groomed, how the dog behaves, and how big they are.
                          I can usually get my standards done within 3 hours if they aren't on the scissor finish side. If I have more scissoring to do on the legs it'll take me longer.

Comment

i suggested that going short all over would cut down on drying time (!!!!) and he said oh no he wanted to keep the legs longer.

Originally posted by neanea View Post
                            I've been grooming for 5 years and own a standard, so I'm not a stranger to grooming one, but there are others on here with MUCH more experience than I.

My S'poo has a lot of coat at the moment and it takes me about 20 minutes to bathe/condition, 45 minutes to an hour to thoroughly dry her with an HV, and another hour, hour 1/2 or so to finish her (greatly depends on how much I'm doing to her) So for SHOP grooming, approximately 3 hours give or take.

If I was just clipping her short (say a 4 or 5 all) with TK, ears, FF, then probably 2 hours.

Never tried it without the help of an HV dryer, but would feel REAL sorry for some one who was trying that in a clients home Gonna take FOREVER, unless you preclip short.

Comment

i appreciate you helping me with the hours necessary. i get slightly panicked about it because im on the slow side anyway. so because of that i feel i need to take my slowness into consideration and not charge the client for that. i cant charge what i would think i should charge per hour and have to spend 5 hours or 4 hours. itd be too expensive. and the point of not putting an 11 year old thru hand drying on top of it all is a great one to remember -- "that he's bound to be completely exhausted". i have an hv, but too heavy to lug up there. they would have to buy one. the idea of a hand dryer is absolutely out.

too bad he wont just have it short all over. i did say that its best for me to be alone with his dog. i dont know. probably someone else who could fly thru the poodle feet and face and get the job done quicker would be better. it seems like a monumental job, but somebody's got to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X