Step one for a better new year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step one for a better new year

After an emotional couple of days I just got some news I really needed.

As most of you know, my hubby and I are splitting after 20 years and in all that mess he took on an "if I can't have it, you can't have it" attitude which left me reeling in trying to find a place to live and to relocate my business to a more affordable location.
    Well, after being sent some links to some rental houses and finding one I really, really like I sent in my application and asked if he'd be willing to allow me to run my business from the garage.
    I just got the word that outside of putting in some plumbing and adding a back door (it's a house from the 1920's) he's fine with the business being run from home!!! I'll be footing the bill for the modifications but fortunately, I have friends in the construction business
    One set of bills while still running my own business is such a nice thought.
    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Good for you! Sounds like a great landlord. Building a new future is always scarey, good scarey.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Sounds like things will work out for you. Good luck!

Comment

Yeah for you! I know supper scary (sorry for your loss too, divorce sucks the big one) but new life, new beginnings and new year! Way cool to groom out of the house. Grooming from home really spoils you and low low overhead. I wish I could have stayed in my house but not allowed in my city. Sincerely wish you the best, looks like you know what your doing and all will go well for you in the end. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Comment

Oh joy, Moonie---I am so happy for you! I wish you could've came about it in a less stressful way, though. Sending you strength.
          Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

OMG that is so awsome! That is just awsome! Happy dance!!!!! (ouch, think I pulled something! lol)

Comment

That is Awesome!

So glad it worked out for you. I didn't think you'd like moving away from a business that you have worked on for so long. This will be great. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I'm in that part of town a lot. So when do you get to move?

Comment

Originally posted by azoci View Post
                So when do you get to move?
                I should be moving into the house the weekend of the 15th and hope to have the business moved over by the beginning of Feb.
                The current renter IS NOT a neat person so there's some work to be done to make the yard pretty again and what is supposed to be the garage looks more like a shack but thankfully I have friends and family in construction.
                I'm thrilled I've been allowed to take the business the my new home: it reduces the stress level on making sure I have enough dogs to pay bills AND I don't have to worry about my clients trying to find a new groomer. I know I'll still lose some but hopefully those will be the ones I don't mind losing=D
                ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~

Comment

That's great news. You'll love working from home...all that shop rent money is now going into your pockets!
                  Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I so happy that it's all coming together for you Shawn! You've got enough on your plate to be worrying about and this will help alleviate some of it.

CONGRATS!

Comment

Hmmmm...Wondering....

Originally posted by Moonpiepoodlz View Post
                      After an emotional couple of days I just got some news I really needed.

..., I have friends in the construction business
                      One set of bills while still running my own business is such a nice thought.
                      Congrats! That is great news to start the new year!

I was wondering how/if running your business from a rental residence differs from renting commercial space? Does the landlord have any additional paperwork or issues to deal with if space is home and business? Did you have to apply for a special license or zoning permit or did the landlord have to do it? The reason I'm asking is because I want to groom out of my parents house (and eventually buy it when they retire and head north) because its in the PERFECT location and set up nicely, but I don't want to mess with their taxes or give other headaches they would have as a result with the red tape stuff. But it has to be legal and insured...so what kind of preparations did you need to make to make your new shop happen? Thanks! (PS this is an open question to all who have info!!)

Comment

Originally posted by RileysRoost View Post
                        I was wondering how/if running your business from a rental residence differs from renting commercial space? Does the landlord have any additional paperwork or issues to deal with if space is home and business? Did you have to apply for a special license or zoning permit or did the landlord have to do it? The reason I'm asking is because I want to groom out of my parents house (and eventually buy it when they retire and head north) because its in the PERFECT location and set up nicely, but I don't want to mess with their taxes or give other headaches they would have as a result with the red tape stuff. But it has to be legal and insured...so what kind of preparations did you need to make to make your new shop happen? Thanks! (PS this is an open question to all who have info!!)
                        Riley: this is all new to me; I've always rented space for my business.
                        I will say that I've contacted the city to make sure I'm doing everything the right way, my landlord has no extra paperwork he has to do, and the biggest plus to being at home is no overhead!
                        ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~

Comment

Moonie...that is just great! Nice to have one little ray of sunshine in your temporary dark cloud. I think 2010 is really gonna be your year!

Hey, Riley's....many years ago I ran a homebased from a house I rented for 3 years.
                          All I needed in addition to the normal Home Occupaton Permit, insurance, inspections etc., was a "permission slip" from the home's owner to go on file w/ the city.
                          My business had no impact on her taxes and I don't know if she ever even informed her homeowner's...as I provided all the insurance to cover my business.
                          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

So you get all the income provided from the grooming business and hardly any of the overhead AND you get to divorce that jerk? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! Looks like you got the better end of THAT deal. Enjoy!
                            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I just happen to find an even better house tonight! for $200.00 more a moth, I get a third bedroom, an actual garage, AND a basment!
                              The "garage" at house number 1 was a dilapidated down shack that more or less needed to be rebuilt!
                              I'm putting in an application on house 2 tomorrow
                              ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~

Comment

Working...
                              X