Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of an Opinion :)

Hello,

As I have mentioned in a previous post, I am currently working on some online grooming courses, however, it is my hope that I can get some "hands on" education locally as well.

So far I have found the following staceyscaninedesign.com/app.html

The salon and staff have amazing reviews and experience (which is a great plus).

I would appreciate anyone's opinion on the program layout/cost/time, etc.

Thanks so much!

well...I want to put this right....the grooms that I see on the photo gallery page do not show evidence that this groomer has the qualifications to teach? I am sure it is fine for her clients but many of the cuts that she has labeled that you will be taught are not correct cuts.

how is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Jadenlea View Post
      well...I want to put this right....the grooms that I see on the photo gallery page do not show evidence that this groomer has the qualifications to teach? I am sure it is fine for her clients but many of the cuts that she has labeled that you will be taught are not correct cuts.

how is that?
      Totaly agree, and I would be wanting to know what equipment I'm getting for the money!
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Well, I took a good, long look at the grooms, and I think they're ok. Some are great, some not so much, but you can never tell what the client has requested. I think it looks like a reputable shop with knowledgable and experienced dog people. I spent $4000 on a 16-week course.....this place sounds a whole lot more organized. I think it looks good.

Comment

I think it's really important to go and check the place out personally. Talk to the current "students", ask if they think it's worth it, check out the equiptment, and spend some time just observing everyone in action.

The major scary thing that I saw was that the goal is only 20 dogs groomed solo. That is just scary low to me.

The only way to tell how it's going to be is to spend some time there - I wish I would have...

Comment

Ditto Gracie! I did my course in 14 weeks I think, and had a total of 125 dogs to be groomed. Also try to find someone who is out in the working world that went there. By asking current students I don't know you will get very good answers, it is likely that the only thing they know is how it is run there and it all looks good. Did that make sense? LOL
            What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Originally posted by Jadenlea View Post

how is that?
              I agree. I'm not a top notch groomer by any means but I still can put out a better top knot on a poodle than any of the ones I saw there (except for the show dog of course). They are all too flat on top.
              What equipment are they selling? Is it more than clippers, shears, combs, brushes, nail clippers?
              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
              Diane

Comment

Thanks for the replies! It helps to have the opinion of seasoned groomers!

The $4000 covers the course itself and then you are given a list of things you need to go buy (clippers, brushes, etc).

Comment

if you are taking online courses, you are probably getting the basics. I can't see paying out that much more money for yet another course of the basics. Honestly (and I'm basically self-taught), there are grooms on that site that made me go "huh?" Most of what I learned, I learned from hands on, Notes on the grooming Table, and here on PG. That's a WHOLE lot less expensive than 4 grand.

see if you can find a payin' gig bathing or prepping

Comment

I am not knocking online grooming courses per say nor am I knocking this particular school itself .However if your going to spend top dollar for online schooling I would recommend a more known and accredited school. Is this school accredited at all? I did not find that listed on the web page what I did see was that all of the groomers/teachers have all worked under one main groomer non being listed as an accredited school nor any master certified groomers.My own personal opinion here is to look for a school that is accredited and or has at least certified master groomers teaching.I agree with many of the other posters here, I viewed the photo gallery and maybe the pet owners are happy with the grooms but many are not groomed to breed standards .For $4000.00 I would expect to be taught correct breed standards also grooming to the highest standards of mixed breeds as well, even with online courses.Have you looked into NASH or paragon?

Comment

Unless I missed something they are not a licensed school by Idaho State. In Washington State you can not charge to teach someone unless you are licensed by the State. I own a grooming School in Washington and went through great lenghths to do it right. Please be careful.
                      "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                      Nancy

Comment

This is not considered a school, but an in person "apprenticeship program."

Right now I am doing onlinegroomingschool.com, JKL's program, and considering a couple of others to be sure to get my basics down. I am also interested in groomadog.com as it has the licensed certificate, etc. as well as the advanced course option.

For knowledge, I also plan on purchasing all of Jodi Murphy's DVDs (either together or one by one, depending on what I can afford) as well as Melissa Verplank's DVDs (that are used for Paragon's program).

Mainly, I was looking into the apprenticeship program for hands on experience (as I am getting the basic knowledge and theory from JKL, etc), but am not sure I want to pay that much for it.

Part of my is thinking about just using that money to stock up on good DVDs, books, etc and hopefully get a bathing/groomer assistant position and work my self up.

I am continually looking for a bathing position, but so far to no avail

At least I do get to volunteer at the local shelters (bathing) and practice on my own dogs

Comment

[QUOTE=ktjohnson;376964]This is not considered a school, but an in person "apprenticeship program."

I understand that but they are still charging you money. We had a case by my school and the state is ready to go in and shut her down she is also charging for an apprenticeship program. However you look at they are getting money to TEACH you how to groom.
                          "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                          Nancy

Comment

One thing a hands on school will give is the invaluable accuess to experience. Plus you have someon beside you explaining and watching and correcting you. Something that you cannot get learning on your own.

Find out the student to teacher ratio...(in my area there is one school that had 14 students, 4 dogs and 1 teacher per class...the other school was 2 dogs a day, per student and 1 teacher and her assistent in case she was busy and you need guidance...I went with choice number two!)

Ask for references, check them out and see how they are doing their opinions of their education.

Make sure they have insurance!!! What happens if they fold and close up? What if one day they announce they are 'done' what happens to your tuition money? here in NB all apprenticeships and school MUST be registered with the province, they have to be insured and you pay a 'student protection fee' that goes to a third party, so if they close up shop (you never know something could happen to the instructor, school could burn down, you could get sick...) you will get a refund.

Do your homework this is alot of money.

Comment

Come and see for yourself!

The website that you checked out that had the apprentice program is excellent. How do I know? I took it. So did 8 other people and they now own their own shops in the treasure valley. Any many other people as well. First off, the photos that you see on the website are those of the clients, and of course those haircuts aren't to breed standard. Has every dog owner that you have met wanted their dog clipped to represent the breed? I think not. What are you going to say to the client who wants their yorkie groomed like a schnauzer? " I"m sorry, I cant groom your dog because its not structurally correct and it doesn't have 6 inches of hair!" Yea...OKAY. Second off, she does not supply the tools for you. You buy your own starter equipment which some is optional. What you're paying for is a legit grooming education and that takes a WHOLE lot of time, money and energy and patience from the person training. Say you clipper burn a dog or you nick a dog..guess who covers for you, the person training you!! That client may never come back because of a mistake that you made and someone else had the decency to take the wrap for you. You not only learn how to groom dogs, you learn how to communicate with the clients appropriately, organize an appointment book and KEEP it booked. You have to complete 20 dogs in a 12 week period. Those 20 dogs are your final product examples from every group recognized by AKC. BUT you are doing SO many other things including more than what is asked to groom for the curriculum. You have hands on grooming experience with at least 4-5 dogs per day which is more than that woman was saying about her 125 dogs for her program. The state of Idaho also recognizes the shop because it sends people from voc. rehab to complete the course with state funds. When I was investigating possible sources I couldn't find one person locally who is involved in our profession who said one negative thing about the shop owner or the shop itself.

Before you start passing judgment about a person training how to groom, you should actually get REAL information and come and see the shop and meet the person yourself instead of asking people who haven't taken the course or any hands on course at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X