Pic of biggest dog I ever groomed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pic of biggest dog I ever groomed

Yesterday I groomed a male uncut Leonberger - 2 yrs old, first groom. He was 165lb per owner. Not sure if you can tell but he was bigger than my tub and I was as wet as he was at the end of the bath. I filled my tub about 2 inches for my recir and his coat soaked it up in about a 30 sec so I had to refill to get him properly washed. HA. He had stuff in his flews that I picked out ... rocks, branches, you name it ... all gooey and hard.

All went well until I started to clip the nails (ps my grooming arm at its highest came to his shoulder). I started w/the dremel on the back foot. He turned, looked at me and let out a deep growl. So I switched to the clippers. Clipped a new nail and he let out another growl while bending my grooming arm like it was a twist tie as he turned and I then decided I got the warning and the nails were basically done. LOL.

Gorgeous dog but I could have never lifted him in or out of that tub. I am so lucky that he jumped on my electric table so I could get him to walk in. It took me 2 1/2 hrs from start to finish w/this dog. I put a happy hoodie on him when I started the hv because I didn't know what to expect. It was hysterical to look at. A Happy Hoodie can take any regal dog and make him look like a court jester.
    Attached Files

Oh, he's a beautiful boy. And he has a kind face.

I don't have pictures, wish I did, but my biggest dog was a 210 pound Akita. And he really wasn't all that fat, either. Just huge. He was also a beautiful dog, but he did NOT have a kind face, if you get my drift.

Comment

That is one super sized dog--you did a great job on him. WOw---that's a lot of hair to tend to!
      Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
      www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Good job there! That really is a giant!

Comment

That is a big & hairy. Looks very sweet.

Comment

He's beautiful though.
            the biggest dog I ever groomed was 225 an English bull mastiff hated water, dropped to the floor when you tried to lift him used to take 6 people to lift his lazy arse up lol to get him into the tub. I have had quite a few runners up but none as hell bent on not getting a bath as he was.

Comment

Makes my leonberger look like piker! He's only 100 lbs. My berner is 150 if an ounce!
              ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

What a beautiful dog!

Comment

That's quite the dog to groom. You must have been exhausted when you were done! Very pretty dog.

Comment

That is one big beautiful dog.
                    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                    Diane

Comment

Wow! In addition to a dog bather, I'm also a shelter volunteer and I've walked two Leos before. The biggest dog I've ever bathed at work has been a huge Lab/Poodle which looks like a wolfhound mix, he is that big.

Comment

Yowzer! That's one big heap of a dog! I thinks it's funny that he 'sucked' up all that water!!! and you're so right about the happy hoodie...Every dog looks ridiculous in it!!

Comment

what a teddy bear!

Leos are on my short list to some day own.....much to the dismay of my hubby!
                          Largest dog I ever groomed.....drum roll please.....252lbs. of Newfie love. And this beast had absolutely NO training!It took 3adult men to get him into the tub(no step in back then) and about 4 hours to finish him. The kicker.....the owner asked for a discount EVERY time I groomed him. She thought I should feel nothing but grateful that she "let" me groom her monster.

Comment

Okay ... they come bigger?

I thought that was going to be my limit. How do you fit a 250 lb dog in your tub??? I felt like there was more water on the floor than in the drain. I cleaned hair and water for 30 minutes. The cleaning took as long as the brushing. Good grief. Yep, I was tired.

Comment

I groomed him once...

and never again. He is just too big! I passed him back to my boss because it took me soooo long. I am a perfectionist, and there was just too much dog to obsess over. She has 13 yrs experience, and got it done in about 1/3 the time.
                              My boss, btw, is an average size woman... he makes her look so small!

He's a doodle, btw, I call him doodle-saurus-rex. The largest of the doodlesaurus family...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by dirty hairy; 01-01-10, 06:49 PM. Reason: forgot to say he's a doodle.

Comment

Working...
                              X