New shops a bustling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shops a bustling!

As many of you know (cause I talk alot/post) but I opened my new shop this month. It's not brand new as I was grooming out of my garage and do have a steady following, but only 4 days a week if that.
    I was scared with rent, advertising, and all the bills that come with a commerical location.
    My husband has been out of work for a year, so I do know how this economy is effecting people. But rents are the lowest in years here in my part of Florida which is expensive anyway. So I took the plunge.
    I use to always take this week off after X-mas, tired, and is usually slow.
    I had 7 new dogs today! I've had many trickling in but this was my first day that was all new customers! So excited! Hope it lasts.
    Also, I work alone, thought I'd keep it that way till I completely fill 5 days for myself. It's hard as there are constant interruptions.
    How did any of you know when it was time to hire?
    I want to be totally fair to someone and not have them wondering if there will be work.
    Any suggestions? I've never hired anyone before.

When you are turning away people on a regular basis cause you can't get to them, it's time to hire a bather. And, you know you will have work for them, since you know your schedule is busy and you hire them for part time in the morning to get the dog's bathed. And you can afford it because you are paying them an hourly wage. You can then go from doing 7-8 dogs by yourself to doing 12-14 dogs with the assistance of a bather/dryer which gives you the ability to pay them. Start booking in some bath only and shed treatment dogs since they don't need your skills, but bring in really good money. Then as the bather really gets their interest sparked, start teaching them the basics, and when the business grows enough that you actually need a second groomer, you promote your newly trained groomer and hire a new bather who is now bathing dogs for the two of you and may even be full time (or two part-timers) to also keep bath only dogs in the schedule. Your second groomer is naturally slower cause they are new, but as the business grows, they get faster and can do more dogs. And, you have someone trained to groom exactly how you want them to.

Comment

Swiss-n-Chow forgot to add "VIOLA" at the end!

Actually...she wrote out what I was thinking...so it saved me typing.

I'm so glad to hear that things are busy, and yeah...the interruptions, they are a drag...but I guess a necessary evil for we "1 person shows".
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Glad to hear it's going so well! Congrats.
        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Glad things are going well for you! What days are you open? I'll stop in and say "Hi" if I'm off when you are open. Are you in the Publix shopping center or the one across the street?

Comment

DH has had troubles finding work here on a full time basis so he works with me as my bather and maintenance .It works well for us both this way He stays busy and works well with the animals(dogs love him)and I don't have to worry about dogs being to heavy to lift.He likes to tease me and say well the pay sucks but the benefits are great lol.

Comment

Good to hear that you are so busy and steady gaining new clients!

Comment

Glad to hear things are wonderful for you It's always nice to see these posts after Christmas!

Comment

once you find you have more than you can 'comfortably' handle on your own. I wish we had started differently at this location though, paid on a percentage scale rather than an hourly. We have been open at this location for about 4 1/2 yrs now. The first person we hired I felt concerned about making sure to 'keep them' an paid on an hourly basis. What I found was the same thing I saw at other salons in the past. People who stretch things out... what could/should take about 30-45 minutes turns into an hour, hour 15 etc.. We have had staff meetings, covered this, made it clear that if they need help to learn how to do something... Im happy to offer to show them more.
                  Never fails, they seem to pick up for about a week or so, then right back to the 'stretching' again. I have one bather who feels it is a good thing to spend time talking to the dogs.. OK, it is nice to know she likes to make sure the dogs are relaxed but really!
                  We had one girl who would stand and talk with the others watching them work. She was put on verbal then written warning... I stood and watched her again doing it... talking about her personal things... for 30 minutes, cleaning rag in one hand, other hand on her hip.. just stood there chatting away. I thought.. OK, at her pay scale, that cost ME XX amount for her to chit chat... NOT!.. she is no longer with us. BUT you have to consider very carefully what you expect from any 'employee'.
                  If you pay bather/brusher's a percentage rate, and they are good... then I feel they also do a better job too. We have it all written out in our employee manual. If a customer calls back and is very unhappy, a pet is hurt, a groom is wrong (we write things out on the cards etc..) we have it in writing what gets paid for and what doesnt.
                  Ive seen it all to often sadly. Someone just wants to work with 'doggies'... they are not interested in an honest days work or care about team work. I recall one groomer who didnt like the dogs she got... stretched out her hourly wit excuses like he was difficult, matted etc.. she was milking the owner for money and bragged about it outside of the shop!

be careful how you set things up is all Im saying.

Comment

busy

So glad to hear you have new clients, etc.... What part of florida are you located?

Comment

Stellar914 I'm in the older shopping center across the street. It's a much better set-up for dogs and walking. My hours are M-S with Sundays off. I'm here 8-5 and sometimes earlier and later. I'm basically working it hard so I can build it up. Just give a call would love to meet you.
                      Poo13 so glad you can work with DH, I'm skert I might do bad things if I was around DH all the time. LOL He is actully busy lining up continuing education stuff and taking care of sick, elderly lab.
                      RSP thanks for all the good info. I have alot to think about.
                      Downtown Dog---Love your name and logo--I'm in south florida PSL.
                      Thanks everyone!

Comment

That must be exciting to have new clients and that your business is doing great!

Comment

Working...
                        X