Ok I give

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok I give

I'll be the first to admit that I made a mistake by not buying the From Problems to profits right at the beginning of my striking out on my own but I've fixed it and it's on it's way....So I'm standing up and admitting that I'm a little slow but I've learned from my mistakes....... Can't wait to start reading....
    "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
    and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
    www.wagmoresalon.com

I have it and love it. I work alone, so I can't really do some of the things recommended, but I still learned a lot, and put it to work to work for ME.

Grooming is a business, not a hobby. We need to learn the best ways to make the most $$ for us, without getting burned out and losing our compassion for animals.

Comment

Oh it's so true. If you don't start a grooming business out right, you are sunk. You are smart to take a step back and regroup. I've learned from plenty of mistakes but it's all good. Yay for you!
      www.gomobileandsucceed.com
      http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Sorry I have to disagree...

I ran a dog grooming buisness for years and years, making EVERY mistake possible, and I still "wasn't sunk". I purchased my buisness (from a woman who barely new grooming herself) at the age of 18. I had been her bather for 4 years(after school and weekends). I spent many years overbooking, shaving everything, underpricing, and spending every dime I made on myself and not the buisness.
        Fast foward 25 years....still in bus. in the same smallish town. Upgraded from 300 square feet to 1250. Have four employees,a retirement fund, groom 150+ dogs a week, and I still love what I do!
        Just like everything else in life, this career , is a process. I'm glad I did it the way I did. I appreciate my mistakes. (Hell I appreciate having airconditioning finally!) I like looking back and chatting about how we "used to do it". Sometimes we laugh till we cry. Remember drying that Bearded Collie for 3 hours with a hand held dryer anyone??!
        I keep changing and learning. And I'm sure in 10 years we will all look back appalled at some of the things we are all doing now! "Oh my god do you remember that Japanese Punk phase we all went through!"
        I think about it like this....I don't strive to just be happy. If you were ALWAYS happy you wouldn't recognize the good times, because you have nothing to compare them to.I just try to do better tomorrow than I did today. I think this is what my Mother meant by growing up!!

Comment

And Oh yeah....I read Problems to Profits. Not exactly my Bible but it got me on track and I did implement many of their ideas. Still trying to find another term for "humane bath" though...a little too hmmmm.....P.R.? sterile? The term "humane" makes me imagine taht other groomers bathe their customers dogs in the toilet while beating them with a wooden handle brush. But maybe I'm reading too much into it!

Comment

What's your point?

Originally posted by staffybullmom View Post
            I think about it like this....I don't strive to just be happy. If you were ALWAYS happy you wouldn't recognize the good times, because you have nothing to compare them to.I just try to do better tomorrow than I did today. I think this is what my Mother meant by growing up!!
            Dear staffybullmom,

So don't be happy all the time because you won't know the good times because you have nothing to compare it to? So let’s strive not to be unhappy all the time so we can recognize the good times? Huh, what's in your tea?

I recognize the good times and I strive to be Happy as much as the good Lord allows. I want to be happy as much as possible. I guess that's what Mom meant by telling me to be as happy as possible.

I do not know what your point is and just what you disagreed with. Have you ever read "From Problems To Profits" or are you just telling us about "Your Way"?

It is a unique salon management system with a tremendous amount of business tips. In fact this very forum came from it. Stephens mother Madeline Ogle wrote it for the benefit of all who read it. It has doubled and maybe even tripled my business and it didn't take twenty-five years. I put it into action right after I read it. My prices increased, my frequency of client increased, my understanding of how important management is in business increased. What's bad about that?

It gives the readers a total overview of the business of grooming and in my opinion is a must for anyone who wants to be successful in the grooming business. Is it the only way? Of course not but who would disagree with learning new ways to be profitable. You use what you think will work for you and leave what you do not think will work for you. Like the only way to learn is the college of hard knocks? I don't think so.........that was just your way. So is a book a threat to your way?

Books and edumacation are good. Ignorance is bad!

So I guess you are saying it is better to make your own mistakes and learn from them then to learn from others mistakes? Well I say when you learn from others mistakes you get to identify yours even quicker and easier.

I say you do not need to "lose to learn" either, you can definitely learn from others teaching. Justifying the loss of those years and the mistakes that were made as the way to go may be your way to explain it but I say you can learn from others who have been there and made those mistakes and have found a better way and are willing to share their learning with others and not just say "Do it on your own".

It shouldn't take the newbies 25 years to learn the same way you did. Heck I even think they could learn from the benefit of your experience. Maybe you should write a book that explains your way of thinking. It may help others to do it in 24 years instead of 25.

Someone said, "Don't worry be Happy" I say "What me worry"? There are some great books on the grooming business out there and I for one want the new groomers to read them all then make up their own minds what is right for them and whets not. They are still going to make their own mistakes but maybe less and maybe in less then 25 years.

You disagree; well I disagree with your disagreement.

Stephen oh great and powerful Oz as you have told me in the past I will never be able to make everyone happy or use my product. So be it. It is not my intention. As you do I find great satisfaction in helping others and my happiness in my family and friends. You also need no defense, but what's right is right and you deserve better. Thank you and Madeline for your efforts you have definitely made a huge difference in my life and I am sure thousands of others groomers worldwide. From Problems to Profits is not a good book it is a Great Book.

Good Luck to all and Godspeed,

Chuck
            Last edited by Chuck; 12-29-09, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by staffybullmom View Post
              And Oh yeah....I read Problems to Profits. Not exactly my Bible but it got me on track and I did implement many of their ideas. Still trying to find another term for "humane bath" though...a little too hmmmm.....P.R.? sterile? The term "humane" makes me imagine taht other groomers bathe their customers dogs in the toilet while beating them with a wooden handle brush. But maybe I'm reading too much into it!
              I can visualize a certain lhasa in the toilet, being beaten with a wooden handled brush! Good laugh, and I actualy love that certain grumpy lhasa.
              ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

re-read the post chuck

I didn't agree with the phrase " anyone who who doesn't start out right in this business is sunk". I wasn't sunk. Tired, not making enough money and on and on. I wasn't knocking Problems to Profits. I wasn't even talking about the book. I was directing my comments to our mistakes that we have made in the past.

Yes it took me forever to find my place in the dog grooming world. I always had a great reputation. Clients that became my friends. And an undying love for dogs. But I didn't have buisness sense, managerial experience, or the discipline to put it all together. I also spent many years longing for a more "respected" career, and for people to stop asking me when I was going to get a real job and stop playing with dogs.

All I was conveying was my experience. And letting anyone reading this post to realize that I'm proof that no matter what's happened along the grooming road or no matter how long it takes...you aren't going to be "sunk".

As for the "I don't strive to be happy all the time"....I think it came across wrong. All I was saying was that I know that life is up and down and dealing with these highs and lows with confidence comes from experience the good AND the bad. If you ask me what do you strive for my answer would not be...."I just want to be happy Chuck". My answer would be to be as happy as possible...health for my daughter....and the strength to deal with the rest of it!

I have only been posting for a short time on this forum and I am not always pleased with your replies for members who say things you don't agree. I love problems to profits. I said it has helped me. I don't have a problem admitting I took forever to "figure it out". And I certainly hope people don't do it "my way". I think you should re-read my post as you have misunderstood me.

Comment

I am misunderstood myself

Dear staffybullmom,

When I was writing my post your second post was not up. So I did not see that post. I did not know you were responding to Wet Nose's reply as the post was about a groomer buying From Problems To Profits. So my response was from your first post.

So I thought your post was just using the bashing of From Problems To Profits as a forum to tell everyone that it was not a relevant book for them because you did it a different way. I guess like you I read too much into it or not enough. As I said what's your point and what do you disagree with? Your second post kind of explained where you were coming from.

I did not understand why anyone would just take an opposite view of it right off the bat. I re-read your post and now know what your point was and what you disagreed with?

But there was a double meaning implied in your second post also when you said, The term "humane" makes me imagine that other groomers bathe their customers dogs in the toilet while beating them with a wooden handle brush. If that does not sound like a bashing then again I misread your post.

You said, "I have only been posting for a short time on this forum and I am not always pleased with your replies for members who say things you don't agree." I guess that goes with the territory of posting. If I have said something that upset you I apologize.

I try and make myself as understandable as possible to avoid misunderstanding but like you, I am sometimes misunderstood. I am quick to defend what I know is right (whether I am or not) especially Stephen, Madeline, my PetGroomer friends and this forum.

I try and refrain from bashing people or products and leave my bashing for the bashers. If I have a difference of opinion I state it simply and say "JustMyHumbleOpinion" JMHO without resorting to negative innuendo. Again, if I have said something that upset you I apologize.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                  X