Anyone left over turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone left over turkey?

Instead of my normal tribe of about 16 only 5 made it home this year. I still bought a 25lb turkey.... Thought I'd pull a sibes and make turkey pie or turkey something or other to give away... Alas I suck as a cook (my DH cooks the turkey) and no one wants my little turkey gifts, not even the dogs!
    I got turkey EVERYWHERE and I have no room in my frig! I'm skret to put down garbage dispsosable or like sibes I'll have turkey juice everywhere..
    Any good cooks out there with jestions?
    Gooble gooble...

this is a good way to get rid of turkey

Tetrazzini
    Ingredients
    1 (8 ounce) package angel hair pasta
    1/3 cup sliced onion
    1/3 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup butter (or sub)
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
    1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (I use fresh)
    1 pound cooked turkey, chopped

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 4 minutes, or until almost tender. Drain.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion & mushroom; cook and stir until tender. Stir in the flour slowly, then gradually stir in the milk then soup so that no lumps form. Season with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and add 2/3 cup cheese, stirring until cheese melts.

Layer pasta in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover with a layer of turkey, and then a layer of cheese sauce. Repeat the layers. Sprinkle remaining 1/3 cup cheese over top.

Bake for about 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until sauce is bubbly and cheese on top is toasted.

Comment

wheat free turkey dog treats

* 1 cup oatmeal

* 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in vegetable oil or flaked turkey, undrained
      * 1 cup yellow cornmeal
      1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
      * 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
      * 1/3 cup water

Directions

Using a food processor or blender, grind oatmeal until it becomes a coarse flour.

Remove to a small bowl and reserve.

Place tuna or turkey in processor and oil and blend.

Add the rest of the ingredients, including the oatmeal, and pulse until mixture forms a ball.

Continue to pulse for 2 to 3 minutes.

Knead on a floured surface until a soft ball is formed.

Roll out to 1/8 " to 1/4 " thickness.
      Cut into whatever shapes you prefer.
      Bake on a lightly greased baking sheet for 20 to 25 minutes at 350°F.
      10.Cool completely.

Comment

I'm winging this one ladies....

Turkey Salad
        ---------------
        chopped turkey
        chopped eggs
        diced celery or diced sweet pickles
        lowfat mayo, salt & pepper

Turkey Panini
        ---------------
        thinly sliced turkey
        thinly sliced cheese
        mustard or mayo, salt & pepper
        any sliced bread
        put in panini maker or grill in a pan
        www.gomobileandsucceed.com
        http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I tried these recipes after Thanksgiving.... they were pretty good, and easy - just a frying pan...If it called for ground turkey, I just chopped it up small!

http://www.britishturkey.co.uk/recip...cipe.212.shtml

http://www.britishturkey.co.uk/recip...cipe.014.shtml

This British Turkey site has tons of turkey recipes...

http://www.britishturkey.co.uk/recip...y-eating.shtml

Comment

Do you have a crock pot?

Chopped turkey
            Bag of frozen green beans
            Bag of carrots and corn
            Cubed potatoes
            (use amount of above ingredients you need, substitute veggies you prefer)
            Can of cream of mushroom soup
            Water or chicken broth to get consistency you like

Add all ingredients to crock pot, cook on high 2 hrs, low until done (about 4... Turkey's already cooked right?)
            Make dumplings from bisquick (recipe on side of box)

Comment

large pot of hot chicken broth, saute in oil chopped celery,onions. tear up turkey put in broth with the sauted veges,add some carrots,peas,cook till veges are tender,add egg noodles till tender. season to taste with salt,pepper,garlic. what ever you like.
              ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Turkey Soup:

bones from one turkey
                package dried onion soup mix
                chopped celery/green bell pepper/or cactus strips
                1 can tomatoes in whatever form you want
                garlic powder
                Tony Cachere's powder
                bag of egg noodles
                2 tablespoons flour
                2 tablespoons butter or turkey fat
                small package Parmesan cheese
                water to cover the bones about 1 inch

Boil the bones in a pressure cooker 15 minutes. After releasing pressure on pressure cooker strain out bones. Cook flour and butter mixed together in a small pan until smooth. Cook on low until the last. Add other ingredients except noodles bring to a boil, add noodles and boil until tender. Add flour/butter mixture. stir until smooth. Stir in Parmesan cheese. (unless you keep Kosher, then skip the cheese part) Serve with beer bread.

Beer Bread

1 standard size (12oz / 33oml) can of beer or malt beer-any kind
                3 cups flour-whole wheat is yummiest, IMO
                1 tablespoon baking powder such as Calumet
                1 tablespoon sugar
                1 tsp salt

Mix everything together (took about 2 minutes in my stand mixer).
                Pour into WELL greased loaf pan or 8x8 baking pan. Bake 60 minutes at 350F (180C).

Turkey Enchiladas

flour or corn or whole wheat tortillas
                shredded cooked turkey
                shredded cooked cactus (can be found at walmart)/green bell pepper/asparagus (if you use white or cream cheese)
                cheese (any type you really like)
                salsa (red, green, fuego, Alfredo or anything you like)

Pour sauce or salsa into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Lay a tortilla in a dinner plate, fill with 2 oz. turkey and an oz. cheese. Wrap closed. Place on baking dish on top of sauce/salsa, seam side down. Fill dish the same way. Cover enchiladas with sauce/salsa. Top with cheese. Bake at 350 until cheese is browned. Serve with rice and beans (your choice of varieties).
                Last edited by Smart-n-Pretty; 12-28-09, 09:29 PM. Reason: crappy recipe typing
                "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

This is making me hungry! I'm having turkey enchiladas tonight. Turkey freezes really well, and I've been known to keep it for a year for casseroles, etc. Just chop it up and stick it in freezer bags. And turkey sandwiches with lots of stuffing...the BEST part of the Holidays.
                  Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Turkey chili is EXCELLENT on a baked potato!
                    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

It's probabaly too late, but you could freeze the leftover meat and even the carcass to use later when you don't want to puke just from the thought of more turkey meals....lol.

I have actually made my own stock w/bones from turkey and veggies that were too over ripe for eating. It was time consuming and honestly probabaly not worth it, but it did make a very tasty stew.
                      SheilaB from SC

Comment

Thanks everyone! I froze some and I'm gonna attempts some of these yummy sounding receipes.

Comment

This one's quick and easy.

Sloppy Toms

shredded cooked turkey
                          one can sloppy joe mix (Manwich or similar product)
                          hamburger buns

Mix the turkey and sloppy joe mix and heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until hot. Serve on buns.

If you wish you can top with cheese slices, fresh onions. dill relish, lettuce...whatever strikes your fancy.

Comment

"Happy Turkey"

Dump all leftover turkey, bones included, in with that sprouting onion in the veggie drawer that's been there since September, add 2 expired pineapple Cottage Doubles, the coagulated Cherry Butter someone gave you for Christmas and the stick of unsalted butter that's been in the fridge so long...it actually TASTES like the fridge....INTO A "GLAD" BAG.
                            Grasp red tab-things and cinch tightly. Deposit in appropriate trash receptacle for several days...then put appropriate trash receptacle on curb.

The Turkey is Happy...afterall...it's surrounded by Glad.
                            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

You said not room in the Fridge but freezer?

I agree with KarlaSnyder. Freeze some. I separate put to groups approximately how much I'd want in a pasta one dish meal in a baggie or Reynolds foil. Easy dinner. Take out, thaw, tear up and put it in any pasta dish.

Sure are some good recipes here.

I once cooked a similar size Turkey but my BF's relatives-3 adults and 3 children-left angry because he insisted they leave his front door closed so that his new off the track Greyhound wouldn't get off and run. So about 25 lbs for two of us. None went the way of the Glad bag trash.
                              Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Working...
                              X