kitty death update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kitty death update

Thanks everyone we are not going to charge them, after speaking with them again last night they where very worried about us and having to deal with getting the kitty cremated and such, such nice people and I truly hated to cal them in sunny HW and deliver such news this was a kitty in poor health but not sick as too put others at risk. He was 10 and a very nice kitty.... Happy new yrs

Just me personally....I think that was the right decision. Not one you will ever wake up at 2 am...and second guess or feel bad about.
    Sometimes the best way I have found to make a decision like that...is to put myself in the owner's shoes and wonder how I would feel about being on the receiving end of all the different options....

As for those who indicated maybe you should not have admitted the kitty in the first place for boarding...well, perhaps not, and I don't know how things work in your part of the world, but short of turning those clients away because of the fear something like this might happen...we had no options at the kennel I managed.
    Not one of the 14 veterinary clinics w/in a 20 mile radius would board pets anymore...no one wanted to staff at night or take up cages for "boarders".
    That left only the ER's to board...and they would typically have nothing to do w/ that if they were not getting a minimum of $500.00 a day.
    We watched plenty of pets...that while definitely "ill" in the conventional sense of the word...were not contagious, and were given better around the clock care than could have received anywhere else at the time.
    Myself...I don't think I would EVER travel and leave a pet behind in that condition...but many people can and do.
    That's what we have to work with, and all one can hope is that the care you provide is observant, compassionate and sensitive. Sorry this even happened...but again, I think you chose the right resolution.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I think you guys did make a good decision. It definitely sounds like they are nice people.

I will also interject that managing boarding kennels I learned that there is a number of people that will purposely leave their ill pet at a boarding kennel in hopes that the pet passes while away from home. Not my approach, but one that many do take. Many will not tell you that was their approach until you call to inform them and then they are relieved that it "finally happened" and are pleased they did not witness the passing.

Comment

I still don't understand fully. By "he was ill" what exactly do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post

I will also interject that managing boarding kennels I learned that there is a number of people that will purposely leave their ill pet at a boarding kennel in hopes that the pet passes while away from home. Not my approach, but one that many do take. Many will not tell you that was their approach until you call to inform them and then they are relieved that it "finally happened" and are pleased they did not witness the passing.
          Oh S-n-C...how right you are. For the most part...our clients were very, very honest about that possibility (read...HOPE) and it enabled us to discuss/line up our game plan in advance, in the event the pet deceased itself.
          We always prayed the inevitable didn't happen "on us" but many clients drove away on vacation...hoping it would.
          Argggg...the sleepless nights I had...the infirmed dogs I brought home to keep an eye on...I don't miss those days 1 little bit......
          To sum...inability to euthanize was the problem.
          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

what I mean

by say he was ill was that he had some liver issues in the past as well as diabetes but was no longer on insulin, he was over weight and had a rather large tumor on his side, he just wasnt a healthy cat nothing that could affect other kitties. Dawn

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
              Just me personally....I think that was the right decision. Not one you will ever wake up at 2 am...and second guess or feel bad about.
              Sometimes the best way I have found to make a decision like that...is to put myself in the owner's shoes and wonder how I would feel about being on the receiving end of all the different options....

As for those who indicated maybe you should not have admitted the kitty in the first place for ... That's what we have to work with, and all one can hope is that the care you provide is observant, compassionate and sensitive. Sorry this even happened...but again, I think you chose the right resolution.
              What a wise post! I too think it was the right decision. We (my mother and I) planned on traveling for Thankgiving and I was more worried than she was about her 14 yr old terrier mix. (Really he is the family dog, I was in middle school when we got him.) Fortunately we ended up hosting. We always leave him with family and he is in relatively good health (a tiny bit of arthritis and his vision isn't great), but we would be devastated if something happened while we were away. I would also feel bad leaving our family to deal with anything should it arise. He's one of those dogs that always finds trouble and the most inopportune time too. (Saturday night, on holiday, right after the vet pulled out of the parking lot, etc.)

Comment

Working...
              X