The REAL truth about bulldogs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The REAL truth about bulldogs...

So I have an employee that has an American bulldog. He is about 65 lbs. The big bad dog was viciously attacked by a (wait for it...) a boston terrier that hits an impressive 13 lbs. The boston attacked with no warning and attached himself to the bulldogs testicles. Yes, attached so that the owner had to pry him off. The bulldog was almost neutered by this nasty beast and still never tried to bite the boston. (He did growl when the owner had to apply pressure to the 3" incision and puncture wounds on his jewels, but never tried to bite) Once the boston was detatched, he jumped on the couch and bit the bulldog on the face. About 3 months ago, he was attacked by a neutered GOLDEN RETIEVER and got 5 staples in his ear. Even my 1 year old standard poodle bullies him and she is a very passive dog! His reputation is in shreads! We try to tell him that he's a big dangerous bulldog, but he simply wags his body and laughs.

Funny thing - the boston was neutered as a puppy - the bulldog was a rescue and not neutered (yet - the vet will finish what Max started later this week.) It's really not funny, but you almost have to laugh! Poor Cotton is the laughing stock of the neighborhood!

Just wanted to remind everyone how very dangerous this breed is!!!!

Awww poor bulldog! People make such a stereo-type out of them! I hope that he soon recovers from the attack!

Comment

Poor bulldog! I have 3 Bostons and they are super sweet, but I have several clients tell me about their Boston when they were growing up as kids. Not nice at all.

Comment

Harley was bitten by a Chihuahua over the weekend. And this Chihuahua was one of few that seemed sweet. Harley walked by the couch she was sitting on and w/o any obvious warning she bit him on the nose. She is my brother's dog and has gone after his pit bull too. Neither of the big "dangerous" dogs responded w/ any aggression.

Comment

This dog must be oozing submissive behavior! Still, I feel sorry for the dog for the owner not recognizing when to pull his dog out of a situation. Sometimes you need to keep your dog away from other dogs, not to protect the other dog, but your dog.
          I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
          -Michelangelo

Comment

Yes but......

They aren't so sweet when trying to trim their nails! This I do know. LOL Too bad we can't teach the Boston to trim the Bulldogs' nails! That would work. And, some Bostons are ok when trimming their nails. Odd huh?

Comment

gr8...

You are so right. Unfortunatly, these are HER dogs! She loves them both, and will not choose between them. I feel the boston is dangerous to other dogs, but she says it's an issolated thing. But the poor bulldog! He just seems to be the butt of all jokes, poor guy.

Comment

I know a boston that is good with people but has to be seperated from the other dogs,gotten as a pup, raised with lots of other dogs, they can be nasty little dogs, poor bully is just not alpha material.
                ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

A lot of the Bostons from pet lines tend to be dog aggressive. Bostons out of a lot of the show lines are very sweet, almost like a seperate breed from the poorly bred ones, however there are a few show lines in certain regions who have BT s who are a little more game. I bought a poorly bred BT when I was too young to know better and we ended up having her put down due to unpredictable attacks on my other dogs.

Comment

Hubby says the bulldog story reminds him of the old military saying:

"When you have them by the *****, their hearts and minds will follow!" :-)

Laura
                    "With God's help, all things are possible!"
                    Laura Lee Ray
                    I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by alabamagroomer View Post
                      His reputation is in shreads! (sic)...Poor Cotton is the laughing stock of the neighborhood!
                      Too funny!
                      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by kats_melody View Post
                        Hubby says the bulldog story reminds him of the old military saying:

"When you have them by the *****, their hearts and minds will follow!" :-)

Laura

Poor fella doesn't have any thing to have a hold of any more....they were chewed off (or nearly).

I hope the day doesn't come when the BD decidides he has had enough from the bullying Boston and takes him out. The owner might come home to a nasty surprise and find her Boston dead or horribly injured by either the BD or one of her other dogs.

If the Boston was neutered too early, IMO that might be a contributor to him being such a beast. I know of several clients whos dogs were spayed/neutered waaay young and they ALL seem to have some kind of personality "disorder".
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Poor Baby! I feel so badly for him. All our dogs are rescues and many are terriers. 2 westies, a cairn, a silky and a yorkie... what we take in are the 'unadoptable' ones.. the ones who have been so abused or neglected to such an extreme. In our home it is as though they know, once you are here... it is your last chance (we think they think so anyway)

In all the years Ive been in this business I can say with certainty, it is not any one particular breed you need to 'watch out for'... you never know how any dog will 'grow up'. In a way they are like kids, they can have completely different personalities and you never know what they will grow up to be.

Yea, there are certain 'breeds' that can 'react' to things we as professionals know, but it just goes to show you that every single dog is a individual. They have their fears, their insecurities and their 'breaking points'. I hope you give this poor baby lots of extra hugs & attention.
                          Our one standard poodle... when we rescued him... weighed in at a grand total of 33 lbs! he looked like an auchweitz survivor. You could see his rib cage & skull... it took my husband close to 2 yrs to earn his trust, it took another year for this poor guy to put on enough weight to be neutered! Until he was up to a minimum of 50 lbs to be able to be sedated safely with all his other medical issues to boot (he is a big boy bone structure wise anyhow) Now... he is my big baby, wants to be a lap dog...LOL.

Comment

AWWWw poor doggie...my female Dachshund has been attacked 3 times by other family dogs and 2 family cats. Now she is very timid around new dogs and runs screaming at the top of her lungs if a cat comes at her.

Comment

Working...
                            X