Last Minute Survey from a Rookie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Minute Survey from a Rookie!

OK, so my car is going into the shop tomorrow, and then I'm on the prowl for a job! I've been thinking about what else I want to touch up on, so I came up with some last-minute tidbits. Any feedback on them would be most appreciated

Do you shave out the paw pads completely in winter, or do you leave some extra fur to act as doggy snowshoes?

Is it always necessary to use ear powder when plucking ear hair?

Do shops typically get more shavedowns or styles?

Anyone try DAP diffusers or Rescue Remedy?

For tighter trims, do you shave down the back of the dog's neck or sculpt it with scissoring?

Also, here's one out of my portfolio: a Shih-Poo-something named Buster I groomed earlier this month, one of my favorites overall. I decided that he reminded me of a PWD, so I kept that image in mind the entire groom. I thought to start my clipping at the withers and scissor in the neck for a more sturdy look. Was I on the right track? Enjoy the cuteness
    Attached Files

Originally posted by J.C. DogHero View Post

Do you shave out the paw pads completely in winter, or do you leave some extra fur to act as doggy snowshoes?

I still clean out the pads of any dog I normally would. Besides snow and ice accumulating in between toes/pads...we have an added concern of the chemicals they use on the roads.
    Alot of my clients are in the habit of giving their dog's feet a quick wipe when they come back in, and I think shorter is better. I do have several that I'll use a 15 instead of a 30 on in the Winter months.

I don't pluck every ear anymore, but I always use the powder on the ones I do pluck.

I rarely get shavedowns due to necessity...maybe 10 a year, but do have a number of clients that desire #7 AO in the hot summer months.

I have diffusers, and while I keep RR on hand for my dogs...I do not use it on clients dogs.

For tighter trims, do you shave down the back of the dog's neck or sculpt it with scissoring?
    Generally (depending on the dog, coat type and what I'm after...) I'll start w/ a SO Comb and finish w/ shears. I'm not completely certain I understood your question though?
    And I ran out of time to post congrats on your other thread JC...so a big, hearty congrats to ya! Good luck in the job hunt!
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

It doesn't snow here, but I'd imagine Sibes is on the right track with her answer.

I buy ear powder with benzocaine in it, not only does it help with the pain, it makes the hair easier to grasp in fills in the recently vacated holes.

I get more stylized haircuts, but that is also what I specialize in. They tend to find me. I don't get many shavedowns because I charge a bit more so most people don't want to pay the price if their dog is just getting shaved.

I don't medicate anyone's dog, ever. I no longer do dogs that require sedation but when I did, I did not administer the pill. Too much liability. Even if it's something like RR, it's just not something I want to have to do.

Like Sibes, I'm not sure i get your question! Haha...I'm think you are asking if you build up the neck (Kind of like a bichon?) on a dog that is getting a shorter haircut? Usually no. If I am doing a shorter haircut it is usually for dogs that get matted or owners that don't like hair. Building up the neck isn't conducive to either of those scenarios IMO.

Cute groom!!! Are you open to a bit of critique? Overall she has nice balance but I'd tweak just a few things if her owner is amenable and you want to.
      There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I am mobile:

I always shave the pads out all the way, when there is snow, it just gets stuck to all the hair in there anyway, like little snowballs.

I dont always use ear powder, but do on most dogs as it makes it much easier to pull out.

I dont get many shavedowns, most are a one length all over snap-on comb length.

I know what you are saying about the neck on the dogs. I dont do it on any of my grooms because it usually will leave more hair that will tend to get matted because of collars. I only leave hair in that area on competition dogs when I am maintaining them.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
        What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

[I]Do you shave out the paw pads completely in winter, or do you leave some extra fur to act as doggy snowshoes?[/I] I still shave them in winter because of snowballs. I did have one customer request that I not shave, just scissor in winter because she thought his feet were cold.

[I]Is it always necessary to use ear powder when plucking ear hair?[/I] I don't use ear powder because I use tweezers (not hemos). Tweezers let me pull out tiny bits at a time.

[I]Do shops typically get more shavedowns or styles?[/I] I work at home, and generally don't do any shavedowns except by request during the summer. I trained at a shop where every single dog I groomed was a shavedown. Basically, if you couldn't get a comb through it immediately, they shaved it. I had very little scissoring training, poodle topknots, that's it.

[I]Anyone try DAP diffusers or Rescue Remedy?[/I] I don't know what a DAP is..? I have one customer (in 8 years) that I have recently recommended RR.

[I]For tighter trims, do you shave down the back of the dog's neck or sculpt it with scissoring?[/I] Definitely shave (with blade or SO) for anything other than a poodle or bichon. Poos and bichons I scissor the back of the neck. Even if I use a 5 on the body, I would still scissor the neck as an extension of the head. I have at least 2 STDpoodle owners that want me to shave the back of their necks - and I have to force myself to do it!

Hope this helps and congrats on finisheing school - your grooming looks awesome!!

Comment

Do you shave out pads: I'm in FL so no, but I'm originally from the very snowy part of the northwest (Montana, Washington) we shaved pads because more snow got stuck to hair then skin. Most snow people know how long to leave dogs out.
            Ear powder: my vet requested I only use on very hairy or hard hair otherwise it leaves a build up in ears thats not good, it can get down deep where you can'nt clean without flushing. You'll get a feeling for it!
            Shave downs: here in florida where I'm at its a constant battle with people, they think no hair cooler, I try to educate about importance and function of coat. Also funny is most dogs are not out in the heat but air conditioned homes! When I lived up north it was not an issue we always strived to save coat except in spring for the once a year shave downs. Ha ha.
            As a rule I never medicate (even over the counter) you cannot predict effects on dogs.
            Necks: I sculpt bichons, kerry blues and a few but for most part use common sense and balance as my guide, so most are blended with blades or combs.
            Hope this helps.
            Congrats on finishing school and great job on all your post of your grooms. You are well on your way. I would hire you!

Comment

Congrats on finishing school!

One thing I thought I'd add is that when I was at Nash, their idea of a shavedown was with a #10 blade. I very, very rarely use a 10 now though, only if it is super-matted tight to the skin, other than on the sanitary and armpit areas. Sometimes I'll use a 10 on the inside of the legs too and then a longer blade on the outside legs and back, with really matted dogs, but even a matted shavedown for me is generally a 7. I think at Nash they are more concerned with safety and a 10 is considered a safe blade.

Anyway, I don't like going even that short on dogs and most people who ask for "very short all over" will get a #5, and then if they want it shorter next time I will go to a 7. I do a lot of #4 and 5 kennel clips. On curly coats I like to use the #4 SS comb rather than the blade. I never use that 3 3/4 blade they gave us with our kit. In school we also rarely used combs, but if you get the SS Wahl ones you will probably really like them (I use them all the time!)

Comment

From a graduate (Alice)..to a graduate (You)...I think Alice pointed out some very important things. And..IMO, she's head on, but it's really all about what you feel comfortable with.
                Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I shave pad all of the time, but I don't always "scoop" between the pads

Is it always necessary to use ear powder when plucking ear hair? No, but if you are going to pluck it does make it easier.
                  I don't always pluck ears..it depends on the dog and the owner

I don't get many shavedowns...most of my clients kept longer as they are groomed very often

No..not interested

For tighter trims, do you shave down the back of the dog's neck or sculpt it with scissoring?It depends on the haircut....so both..but I don't understand what you mean by tighter trims..

Comment

I shave the pads unless requested not to, less mess in the house.

I would unless it is a dog I do frequently, where it is very sparse hair. I have a few that freak out when you go to put the powder in, but if you pluck the hair when they are not expecting it, they are fine.

Where I am, we get many shavedowns on large hairy dogs that should't be clipped, ie labs, and Goldens, some shepherds or huskies. No one wants to brush. Most of the "haircut dogs" get done in a trim no shorter than a 4, most are done with combs.

No

Shorter than a 4, or fine hair, I would shave, depending on coat, longer fluffy coats I would scissor.

Good luck on your hunt! BTW, I think you groom looks great!

Comment

Yes, I agree with what Alice said as well. I almost never have to use a #10 blade, the shortest I go is a #7, and most "short" requests get a 5 or a 4....

Comment

As for shaving feet in the winter it depends on the breed and habits of each pet. dual coated such as huskies, shep ,Newfs, etc I just scissor the pads I never shave them most other breeds have the pads shaved as usual yr round summer and spring I will use a #40 in the pads but for the colder moths I will use a #10 blade but I always recommend the use of safe paws snow melt to customers as salt will burn the dogs freshly shaved feet.
                        Majority of my grooms have been scissor styles I do get the occasional shave downs as others have said #7 is the shortest body blade I will use but #5 #4 are my most commonly used for shave downs.
                        As for the back of the neck unless the breed calls for more hair such as the Kerry Blue and others,Yes I use the same length on the neck as I would the body

Comment

Thanks everyone, some great advice here!

Brink, that's what I meant, building the neck. Wasn't sure if there was a proper term for it.
                          I'm most definitely open for some critique, I try to use it as a chance to improve. I'm sure I'll see a dog like Buster around here, I'd love to try this style again!

Flyingfur, DAP stands for Dog Appeasing Pheromone. It's not really a medicine, just a synthetic hormone that is supposed to help them relax. I've been told that only they can smell it, but I have no experience with them.

Alice, I got to use snap-on combs once at school. Have you ever worked with GiGi the Poodle?
                          I did get the Wahl SS ones for Christmas and I'm dying to try them out! Also, I've tried the 3 3/4 blade on several coats; I discovered I like it for tidying full-coated Bichons, but that's about it.

Again, thanks for all the advice and support. I will be checking out some salons today, wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X