Pyrennean Shepherd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyrennean Shepherd

I couldn't find the button for new posts in the Non AKC section so I'm putting this here.

Does anyone have experience with a Pyrenean Shepherd aka Berger des Pryenees? I had one come in to meet me and is booked for next week. The lady wants the dog to look like the breed. I checked the standard on the club website and it says no scissoring so I guess I'll be doing a bath and brush out. Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with thses dogs. I'm kind of excited about this even though I only get to groom the dog once because she is a rescue and will be going to her new home that is several hours away.

I know someone who ran pyr sheps in flyball and I know that they have a tendency to be very fearful and reactive. They have a very strong herding instinct.

Kat

Comment

I know a girl that has one. She shows in agility with her and has brought her out to herding training, that is where I know her from. The dog seemed o.k. but was so shy I really didn't get to even pet her. As far as grooming, they are a natural type of breed.
      Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

this breed is akc recognized now, so there should be a standard on the akc website.

Comment

Don't forget pictures for those of who have never seen one in person!!
          ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
          Apparently common sense isn't all that common
          *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

They look like fun!

They come with smooth face or fuzzy/hairy face, think of them like a small Border Collie/Aussie type. Yes, they may seem a bit "shy" or skittish/touchy, but they are not likely to be the kind of unsound shy of say, some of the Cockers and Cocker mixes. They just have a lot of energy and need to work, I think. From the videos I have seen of them, they are kept natural and have easy coats to maintain. Of course in a few years we will see them with thick, soft, luxurious coats that can be a nightmare to keep, I'm sure. (I say this because of the history of breeds like the Cocker, Bouvier, Bichon, etc. that originally seemed to have far easier coats to keep until we got hold of them on this continent...)

From the history I have read of the Australian Shepherd, it seems that the original dogs sent here with the masses of sheep in the 1800's came with "little Blue dogs" that were likely related quite closely to the Pyrenean Shepherd. It gets a bit confusing, since the dog we now call the Australian Shepherd actually was bred from crossing the original small dogs with larger farm dogs, and then there was a breeder/vet who infused a LOT of Collie (hence all the white in the current Aussies) but - the originals were mainly blue merle, not much white at all, and quite small. (In fact, apparently merle was bred to merle for years without problems, but that has changed - I wonder if it was all the Collie and the white genes??) I have a working-type Aussie that looks a lot like the foundation of today's mini Aussies, and you can look up old photos of two of the foundation dogs, and boy! do they look a lot like the Pyrenean Shepherd! (The foundation dogs of today's minis are Spike's Cordova and Valhalla's Cookie. My Aussie looks so much like them it's uncanny!)

Comment

Forgot this link!!

I'm tired - oops! Lots of photos and info at this club link:
              http://www.pyrshep.com/

Comment

Brahmadog - thanks, I'll check the AKC website
                Moonpie - good idea, I didn't think about taking pictures for you all.
                Debbiedogs - that is website I printed the breed standard from. I put it in my "Notes". I have the book in a 3-ring binder so I can add pages to it.
                Bee

Comment

huh it looks like my mutt sully

Comment

great info! looks like a lovable mutt, but all rare breeds look like mutts until i get familar with them.
                    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Pictures

I groomed this little dog. She was pretty afraid of things so I did a "puppy's first groom". She got a bath and dried and all mats removed and feet trimmed. I didn't do the nails because they weren't that bad and she had had enough. The lady's husband picked the dog up and said that was cool. But it wasn't cool with the lady--she wanted the nails done! So she brought the dog back in a few days later and held her while I did the nails. I had to photograph her in a crate because she was in constant motion otherwise.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X