This is really bothering me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is really bothering me

I had a client with two Cavs that I was doing every 4 weeks. her last appointment was in April and she scheduled for May. About a week before her appointment she cancelled and said she'd reschedule and I never heard back from her. At that last appointment I had given her a bottle of SS foaming face wash to try on her female Cav who has a lot of eye drainage. I suspect it's because she is SO small and her face is so tiny her eyes don't drain correctly. I know she's been to the vet for it. So anyway, I asked her if she'd be my "guinea pig" and try this new product for me. Then i didn't hear from her. I tried emailing her and I was still getting things from her like freidn requests on facebook, tags, etc. I wasn't quite sure what to think. Then she emailed me yesterday and asked if she could get back on my schedule. She said the reason she stopped using me is because I left some damp spots on the dogs the last time. I have wracked my brain and cannot for the life of me remember if there were any extenuating circumstances as to why I would leave damp spots on her dogs. I won't stress a dog unduly if they are really thrashing or something for drying, but I don't remember these dogs giving me any problems. Since I'm mobile I don't have any drying cages and use a small hand held dryer to do around the faces. I know I usually spend a good hour or more per dog typically when I was there as I would hand strip a lot of the "****" coat out. both are balck and tan and I always find that's the color that gets that fumanchu mustache-y thing going on that I will typically finger pluck. What is bothering me is that if I left these dogs damp then I was just plain sloppy and that is killing me. How could I have allowed myself to do that? If there are any plausible reasons why a dog is still damp (I have one Samoyed that I CANNOT get the ears dry on and I always tell the owner why and everything I try to do to get them as dry as possible) I tell the owner and make sure they understand, but I don't remember saying anything to her. How could I have missed this? I know I am probably getting more upset than I need to, but this is the first time anyone has complained about any of my work since I opened. But what I also didn't understand was that in the same email she said she referred her neighbor to me and they want to get on the same schedule so I can just do them both in the same day.
    I told her that I would be happy to put her back on the schedule and that if there is ever a concern or issue not to hesitate to tell me. I guess I also feel badly that she didn't feel comfortable discussing this with me. I want to be as approachable as possible. I know there are some people that will just avoid any kind of confrontation or unpleasantness at all costs. Her daughter is a groomer in another state. She and I used to chat after each groom at her dining room table. I guess I thought she felt more comfortable with me that she did.
    I WISH I could remember the last grooms. I am just appalled at myself because there is no excuse for sloppiness. It was right after Intergroom that I did these two. I don't remember being sick around then or anything. Ack, I'm giong to drive myself crazy.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Find something else that has some VALIDITY to it...to beat yourself up over, please, .

Something else is going on w/ this client and that's the only reason she could come up with to beg her way back into your fold. I mean seriously...that's prolly one thing she knows you can't "prove"..."no I didn't"!

If I was a decent client, and that happened AND upset me to that extent...I think I would mention it a little sooner than 8 months later whilst I'm attempting to sneak back in via the back door!

She's groveling in the only way she knows how...by making it your "fault".

Curious to see, when you do groom the dogs, if they've been groomed elsewhere in the interim and how that job looks?
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Mylady

I notice that whenever you describe your work, it is far more detailed than I ever could do. I doubt any other groomer nearby does such a quality job. I can't imagine any one else caring any more than you have. Since I have read your website, I know your fees are considerably higher than mine, by $15 $20 more. So maybe it is the money, and few clients want to admit that they love you but can't always afford you. You have her back, plus her friend. that tells me you are doing everything right, but the client isn't being honest. No matter have open and available you are, some just don't tell you the truth. It isn't YOU it's them. Sometimes, and mostly, we never know why someone leaves.

I got a client back....it was my fee. She had me last Easter, then again, I have not heard from her. I told the woman, she does not have to tip me too. The shop on the way to work was $20 less, convenient. but doesn't do a good job, she said.

BTW I never understand the excuse that they can drop them off on the way to work, excuse. Nothing is more convenient IMO than mobile. Yesterday my client carried the dog out to me in her bathrobe! She was on a conference call. It does bother me that I can't compete for her attention and never was able to communicate with her.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
        Find something else that has some VALIDITY to it...to beat yourself up over, please, .

Something else is going on w/ this client and that's the only reason she could come up with to beg her way back into your fold. I mean seriously...that's prolly one thing she knows you can't "prove"..."no I didn't"!

If I was a decent client, and that happened AND upset me to that extent...I think I would mention it a little sooner than 8 months later whilst I'm attempting to sneak back in via the back door!

She's groveling in the only way she knows how...by making it your "fault".

Curious to see, when you do groom the dogs, if they've been groomed elsewhere in the interim and how that job looks?
        AMEN!!

MyLady, I can tell from your posts that you are meticulous with your grooms. Every hair in place, every tiny little nitty knot brushed smooth, everything done right. This lady probably got herself in a financial jam, had to scale back on her spending, (and we all know what always gets cut from the budget...), maybe even tried to groom them herself or took them to a cheap hack joint to save a buck, and now is too embarrassed to tell the truth so she is laying the blame on you. If it was that big of a deal, she would have called and said something-not come crawling back 8 mos later with that flimsy excuse....10 bones says she is lying about the damp spots left on the dog..

Comment

Thank you, I guess I can relax a bit. I had actually given her a price break because she has the two, the one Cav is maybe 8 pounds, and I love doing Cavs. I'd do about anything to get more Cav clients. I'm not privy to others financial situations, but I believe this woman is comfortable financially. She just bought a new condo and had always tipped me very well. I know I was letting it get to me more than it should and I didn't want to believe she'd make something up as an excuse to get back in. She told me she's been taking them to Petsmart so they have been getting groomed. She said they were groomed the day before she emailed me to set up the next appointment with me.
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

She was saving money

She didn't want to spend so much, but wanted to give you a reason other than her not wanting to spend the money.

Do not beat yourself up like that for ANY reason - if the woman had an actual complaint, she ought to tell you since you do such a great job. If she doesn't tell you and goes somewhere to save money, then that is her decision. I don't think damp spots ever killed a dog, and I don't think she has had such detailed, beautiful grooming elsewhere, so just take it all more casually. Ho hum. (lol)

Comment

Working...
            X