X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noodles
    Teacup Member
    • Sep 2008

my pug and rottie had similar wounds come up on thier heads. it was some sort of spider. tried to treat pugs "hotspot" for a day or so. nearly lost her ear, but just so your know after a couple weeks and some antibiotics, all of her hair grew back. no scar. and where i work we give metacam after surgery for pain.

Comment

• LexPauline
      Miniature Member
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DBT View Post
      was that area 'under wraps' before this occurred??

i have a dog that breaks out just like that under wraps. if the skin or coat was slightly damp.or the wraps were pulling a bit of hair tight,or golly forbid the wrap was too tight etc

anything to do with wraps sets him off ,and then rapidly escalates to that sort of disaster
      Nope, I only put that on because of the wound.

Comment

• lexapurple
        Miniature Member
        • Feb 2009

Looks like poison oak or ivy. My BIL got it recently and it looked exactly like that.
        It does not look like a brown recluse bite to me. you could tell BR bite by Bull's eye pattern. The bite itself is where the flesh is starts to dye from. It takes about 2-3 days to get to that point.

Comment

• Jersey
          Miniature Member
          • Jan 2007

Poor Allie. That really looks painful. I;hope she heals fast.

Comment

• LexPauline
            Miniature Member
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by lexapurple View Post
            Looks like poison oak or ivy. My BIL got it recently and it looked exactly like that.
            It does not look like a brown recluse bite to me. you could tell BR bite by Bull's eye pattern. The bite itself is where the flesh is starts to dye from. It takes about 2-3 days to get to that point.
            She has not left my house, no poison anything here :/ Keep in mind it's on a full coated poodle so whatever it was penetrated the coat and in an isolated area -the inner hock. We do have scorpions here though. I found this one under my kitchen sink a few weeks back.
            Attached Files

Comment

• pooh13
              Standard Member & Club 1,000
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by LexPauline View Post
              She has not left my house, no poison anything here :/ Keep in mind it's on a full coated poodle so whatever it was penetrated the coat and in an isolated area -the inner hock. We do have scorpions here though. I found this one under my kitchen sink a few weeks back.
              eeeeew I'll keep my snow lol

I hope she gets better soon the poor gal

Comment

• PuppyFluffer
                Champion Member & Club 1,000
                • Sep 2008

Lex, that there looks like a male centruroides gracilis gracilis, or the Florida Bark Scorpion. It can inflict a very painful sting, but is not considered to be dangerous unlike its South American cousins (or the often-deadly variety found in the American southwest. In fact, my mom gets migrations of those nasty little devils through her yard every year). They're fairly docile (as scorpions go) and can make interesting pets. Because they aren't cannibalistic you can usually keep a male and female together. I have been "gramma" to more scorpion & insect babies than I care to count.
                Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

• winterroo
                  • Jan 2007

My old Standard used to just start chewing his back leg or foot out of no where, and it looked JUST like that! I would have to give him antibiotics and keep a cone on him until it was completely healed. His hair would always grow back, and it never scarred. BUT-you can kiss using her in Atlanta goodbye, sorry to tell you . I would be absolutely shocked if she grew enough hair on that by then. Yeah, my old guy would always start a big spot like that right before a dang competition.

Comment

• BengalCatGuy
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by LexPauline View Post
                    110.00 later and we have no idea what happened. I got some ointment antibiotics and directions on how to do hot and cold compresses three times a day. We are leaning towards some kind of bite. Ooand she got a Metacam injection, anyone heard of it? If it is a brown recluse it will get a lot worse :.( I am so scared, she said it will turn black and become a gaping wound and the affected flesh will likely die and fall off! I might have to shave her whole lower leg which means I more than likely will not be able to compete with her at APF. I'm so upset right now I can hardly type ..I'm gonna go sulk now.
                    Just don't look at the website www.metacamkills.com.....but you should be ok since your pet is a dog and not a cat.

For the record, I had a cat on Metacam for about 6 months without a problem.

Scott

Comment

• LexPauline
                      Miniature Member
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by BengalCatGuy View Post
                      Just don't look at the website www.metacamkills.com.....but you should be ok since your pet is a dog and not a cat.

For the record, I had a cat on Metacam for about 6 months without a problem.

Scott
                      Scott that link won't work for me. What is it!?!

Comment

• LexPauline
                        Miniature Member
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
                        Lex, that there looks like a male centruroides gracilis gracilis, or the Florida Bark Scorpion. It can inflict a very painful sting, but is not considered to be dangerous unlike its South American cousins (or the often-deadly variety found in the American southwest. In fact, my mom gets migrations of those nasty little devils through her yard every year). They're fairly docile (as scorpions go) and can make interesting pets. Because they aren't cannibalistic you can usually keep a male and female together. I have been "gramma" to more scorpion & insect babies than I care to count.
                        PET?! unhuh ..pet my as* it's safer then most lol Let me apologize for the attached photo "Gamma." ::Eeevill snicker::
                        Attached Files

Comment

• qt2168
                          • Jun 2009

Just wondering how is the leg?

Comment

• petgroomaustralia
                            Miniature Member
                            • Jan 2007

Metacam is used for pain relief, its used all the time after surgery and is as safe as anything else.

Comment

• Kindredkiss
                              Toy Member
                              • Jan 2007

Metacam is a pain medication. Its not reccomended for use in cats but dogs generally have no problems with it.

Comment

• PuppyFluffer
                                Champion Member & Club 1,000
                                • Sep 2008

Lex, I think you "petted" him a bit too hard!
                                Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                                George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Working...
                                X