So very sad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So very sad

My heart is broken today. As you know, I raise Pomeranians. My friend and I do a few litters a year. It has been almost 2 years since we did a litter so this fall we bred two girls. One girl had her beautiful puppies before Thanksgiving, a boy and girl who are thriving. The other girl had to be taken in for a C-section. She had a boy and girl also. But when she came out of anthesia and back home, she had no interest in her puppies. One pup did not nurse well at all while the other one did fine. So I tube fed the one pup and my other girl cleaned her up. After 3 days of every 2 hours, I lost that little pup. I don't know why I did not look, but checked out her mouth and sure enough she was a cleft puppy. If we had checked at the vets, we would have put her down then.
    So now I am putting the other puppy on my first girl as mom still had no interest in her. A couple days later, I loose that puppy too.
    My friend who works on the North Slope of Alaska 3 weeks on and 3 weeks home, calls me when she got home last week. (We split the Poms between her place and mine). While she was at work in October, one pom came in season and husband did not know she got bred. So now my friend comes home and finds a pregnant bitch. She is taken in for xrays, which shows 3 pups. She ends up a C-Section also this past Friday. 3 beautiful boys. All is fine, she is a great mother, they are all nursing. But last night, one puppy I find dead. I kept checking all night, 2 remaining pups fine, nursing well, moving around. Around noon today, I go and check, both puppies are dead. Mom is crying, licking them. I am crying, hubby comes in, hugs me.
    I have bred poms for 15 years. Never have I lost an entire litter, much less 2 litters. I know, they call the Poms the heartbreak breed. I am just so sad, wondering what I did wrong. I know I did nothing wrong, but it sure hurts, this close to the holidays.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I know the pain you are in right now. I've been there many times through the years, about 25 or so. I've bred and shown Great Danes, Briards, OES, Jap. Chin, Maltese, Tzu...
    With the Maltese, sections aren't all that unusual. Chins, I went for years with no problems. then had a couple years of nothing but whelping/post natal problems. I even had my vet do necropsy, nothing. Sometimes there just aren't any answers. Sometimes it's the roll of the dice. A lot of disorders do have some degree of inheritance. Nature has a way of taking care of non-viable puppies. Certainly do as much as you can to see if there is any inheritance at play. But it's entirely possible that you could repeat the same breeding and have a perfectly healthy litter. It isn't an easy thing we do when we try to produce the best quality dogs we can. Losing pups though, it doesn't really get any easier through the years. Chin up, this too will pass.

Comment

All dogs (& puppies) go to Heaven.
      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

How sad....

Sorry this happened to you. It's heartbreaking. There was nothing you could do to prevent this.
        I have been fostering kittens (with or without their mother) for many years. I rarely have any deaths. One summer, almost half the kittens I was taking care of died. This was over the course of 3-4 months and at different ages. We ran tests and never did find a reason. Thankfully, that was 5 years ago and it haven't had a repeat of that summer.
        The only thing that helped was to cuddle the survivors and breath in their sweet baby breath.
        "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

That is so sad

OMG I'd be bawling my eyes out. I'm so sorry furrondie. {{HUG}} My heart is broken with yours. QQ
          www.gomobileandsucceed.com
          http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I am sorry for your puppies. That is very sad. I wonder if anesthesia contributed to it.

Comment

I am so sorry. How heartbreaking for you and the mothers.

Comment

It is sad

It seems I know a few people who've had such problems. A heartbreaker. I've had some problems quite a long time ago but everyone pulled through, though I had a lame dog and a blind dog and wonder if they should might have been eliminated by nature if not for good intervention?
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Thank you all for your kind posts. The poor mommy, Penny, was looking for her pups all afternoon and during the night. Her crying was so sad. She is better today and so am I. I know it is better if something was wrong for them to go now then later.
                  I am giving the first litter special hugs all the time and they are so wonderful!

Comment

That is so sad.....((HUGS))

Comment

I am soooo sorry

That is so sad and disappointing too. I just have to believe we will see them all again someday. I lost one little pup once in January of that particular year. It was very sad.

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose even one pup.

But if I may, I'd suggest you have all of the dogs tested for brucellosis if you haven't already done so. Brucellosis can cause fading puppies, and most adult dogs don't really show symptoms.

The other thing I'd test for, simply because I battled it once before, is beta-hemolytic strep. This bacteria can infect the reproductive tract in bitches and cause infertility and fading puppies. While many bitches don't show symptoms, just as many will develop a discharge thats kinda watery and grayish after mating. Male dogs often are not symptomatic but they can pass it to bitches during mating.

Comment

That is so sad FurR. It's hard to accept that sometimes nature knows best (if you rule out things like Helly mentioned, of course).

I learned the hard way 20 years ago w/ a Sibe that had been accidentally bred and had 2 (of 5) puppies that did not want to thrive.
                          I struggled and struggled to keep them going...only to find out at the adorable age of 6 weeks..they were chondrodysplastic (dwarfs). It was no where near as cute as it sounds, and I had to euthanize them both on the same day at 6 months of age. I know the feeling of heartbreak and unfairness. That hurt for quite awhile.

I'm glad to hear that hearts are slowly on the mend, and hope that with the passage of some more time....there will be smiles again.
                          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Working...
                          X