Product to reduce matting in between grooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product to reduce matting in between grooms

What is the general concensus on what types of products create more matting, or help avoid it?

I have a lot of Bichons, maltese, etc that come in to get brushed out and neatened up every other appt because their owners want them to remain fluffy without having to get shaved down each appt. One Bichon in particular has the tightest curls I have ever seen that hug her body and she tends to want to turn into a pelt every time I see her.

I have The Stuff, cream rinse, Mane and Tail Olive Oil spray, and a heavy conditioner on hand. Sometimes I wonder if these products will help fend off mats, or make them worse. What about using shampoo only with no conditioner or products? ..I use the Davis product line and do not want to get into having to buy other lines or make orders from other companies.

What do you use, or not use to fend off mats?
    Last edited by D'tails; 12-21-09, 04:42 PM.

Nothing from tha tline will do it IMO. You are limiting yourself greatly restricting it to Davis. The more heavy conditioner you use the more likely to mat. Fluff out mats up coats IMO and I am not a huge fan of their entire line, only certain items. The more oils you use the more matting you will get because the oils trap dirt and dirt causes mats.

I use Stazko. PERIOD. FOr those types of coats his shampoo and spray are miraculous. They keep my cockers mat free for a week with no brushing in between and my poodle for a full two weeks.
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

So much for following the directions..

I keep overly diluted "Stuff" for the likes of Collies, Huskies, Newfies, etc....and a little more concentrated than recommended for Maltis, longer coated Shihs, Beardies and the like.
      I do think it helps.
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Good advice to the owner is the best product I have to these pet owners,I have found with many pet owners tend to make the issues worse by every day practice thinking they are doing whats best for the dog ,discourage washing at home #1 cause of matting#2 toweling a pet that gets wet while outside,(suggest letting the dog air dry no toweling this creates matting,)once fully dry brush the dog.I recommend brushing from back to front starting at back leg working forward so they are not over brushing the surface and covering matting.
        if the pet becomes muddy let the mud dry then brush out(the dirt will fall off)suggest placing the muddy or wet pet in a safe zone to avoid plastering it through the house be it laundry room , bathroom,kennel,
        as a leave in conditioner for helping routine brush outs any product that contains natural oils or lanolin will help during brushing.Personally I use natures specialty quicker slicker .but most of the spray on products for pets work with a little elbow grease.encourage brushing not bathing at home.

Comment

The best product to reduce matting between grooms is a comb. Seriously.

Now, to aid that comb, I use Groomer's Edge Solution. You can use it full strength for damaged coats, but for mats I dilute it about 25:1 and use as a leave-in conditioner. Of course, if the owner bathes the dog, or he goes out in the rain, the conditioner is gone, and your back to just using that comb. Unless you want to sell them a bottle of Solution, LOL.

Comment

Whenever my customers ask me this I always say, "I have JUST thing for you-a brush!" Haha. To be fair, if they are seriously asking I will steer them towards something but most just want to leave their pet alone, spray some sort of magic concoction on them, and watch the mats melt away.

For heavily matted dogs I use the Iv San Bernard fruit peks. That is some serious magic. LOVE it! Of course Les Pooch mat zapper, and to try and keep them away I use a light, clarifying shampoo followed by Isle of Dogs #50 or #51 depending on coat. I always, always use The Stuff. On bichons I like the Les Pooch vitamin enriched shampoo, that has helped me a lot.

As (pooh I think?) said, discourage bathing, swimming, snow playing, etc at home, sell or direct them to a great brush AND comb, and get them on a regular schedule. No product that you use is going to last that long if your customers aren't coming in every 4-6 weeks.
            There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I totally agree with pooh13, and use the same products. I get very pelted Bichons and most of the time the owners tell me that they gave her a bath last week. Or ask if bathing between grooms is to frequent. I give the same advice "Please Leave the bathing to me."

Comment

OT

Originally posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
                As (pooh I think?) said, discourage bathing, swimming, snow playing, etc at home,
                WHAAAAAT??? [shrieking from Sibes ensues...:O] I hope that was kidding, or misinterpreted by me!

They are dogs!!!! They are meant to swim and play in the snow and the mud, and roll in doo-doo and get their lil white feet grass stained when we mow cuz they love being with us...
                And furthermore...if an owner wants to turn the hose on a big 'un...or toss a lil smelly doo-covered one in the sink for a clean up.... I say have at it!!!!!

I can't imagine ever discouraging my clients from bathing their dogs...quite the contrary...I'll walk them through it if they need. I think as dog owners...people should know HOW to safely bathe their pet.

It's our chosen profession to get these guys sorted out and beautiful again...And..we get paid to do it!

I equated what you typed w/ my mechanic saying "I changed your oil, and it was FILTHY BLACK...in order to prevent that from happening again...I am discouraging you from driving your vehicle".

Comment

what sibes said(tone it down, i heard you here) i do a bichon,she is brown,black grease, green, everytime i see her, she is one happy dog. i encourage my clients to let them be dogs, and to squueeze the water out,let it get curly in between,just brush it first.
                  ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
                    what sibes said(tone it down, i heard you here)
                    oopsie. sorry.

Comment

I have tried the brush lecture, and other advice from above, trust me /sigh. The dog I did today gets a modified show trim and was semi pelted again.

I started using a new method that works pretty well. I call it an illusion trim. Everything is shelled out and shaved close in areas that are not easily visible - behind ears, under ears, entire underside, armpits, insides of all legs to feet are shaved with a 7 F. Hand scissor shaved areas to blend perfectly with longer areas. If rear hips get pelted I will shave the hip area with a 4 or 5 in an airedale pattern (on a Bichon) then scissor it longer down the aound the hocks and rest of leg - sounds horrific but you cant even tell it was done if blended well.

I guess I will break down and buy some Stazko. So far I have been using whitening/clarifying shampoo with no conditioner and using The Stuff and my K9 III to blast most of the "webs" to the surface while drying.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

The best way to prevent mats developing between groomings is the proper application of a brush and comb by the owner.

Lacking that sort of commitment on the part of the owner, the best preventative by the groomer is a #7, all over.

Comment

---One of the best ways to fend off matting between grooms is to use a tool--not just a topical, IMO. I always go over my finished grooms thoroughly with a (DULL) coat king--every dog, every time. Think I am nuts, but whether a double, single, curly, straight, stand up, or drop coat--they all get it, and it works.
                          Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Hey Windy, me too, especially ears and tails, but mostly I do it before I do the finish. None of my regulars get matts.

Comment

Sibes-haha, I know...but if they don't want to brush at home, come in often, and have a longer clip that is what they have to do to keep it mat free! Away from water! I live in Southern CA, snow is not an issue, and if the dog is inside they usually stay relatively clean so it doesn't cramp their style. Also, if I have dogs that regularly come in pelted messes, I refuse to brush it out after the third time. Too painful, and I don't want to have negative associations with the groomer. The owner will either learn how to take care of it or we can change to a different clip that works better for their lifestyle.
                              There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                              X