Grooming a Scottie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooming a Scottie

So I have a few questions about grooming a scottie. I have a pair of them coming in tomorrow, and I just wanted to make sure i know what I am doing. I have done these scotties once almost 8 months ago, but honestly i really don't remember what i did to them and the owners requested me, so I want to make sure they look extra good. Nothing worse then having someone request you and then them not being satisfied with what you did to their babys.

My first question, I remember my co-worker told me to leave these little tuffs of hair in front of their ears, but when I saw a video online of someone grooming a scottie face they shaved everything in front of the ear so which is correct?

Also The owners where talking about doing a carrot tail. They said i did a great job last time, but I'm not sure what I did. again online someone shaved the top of the tail and under the tail and just left the sides and trimmed it. now that doesn't sound right to me, but i could be wrong. if somone could just please give me some advice i would greatly apreciate it.

I use a Wahl

snap on come first on the tail and then scissor carefully. I noticed I did a great Westie tail on Chip last time I groomed him. same kind of tail. The size? I dunno but the plastic is royal blue.

Comment

The tufts is correct, and the carrot tail shape is exactly the way it sounds, like a carrot! Wide on the bottom, narrow on top. There are several different ways to do it. I personally like to scissor the whole thing but I've heard of taking a blade down the bottom to save time and shaping the top.

http://www.caninereference.com/canin...25738D005BF033
      There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Big mistake...

That drives me crazeeeee is when groomers leave hair on the underside of the tail n a scottie! Typically top and sides of the tail are same lenghth as the body and shaped like a carrot. Back sides of ears are clipped smooth, and fronts only have tufts on the bottom inside corner..imagine dividing the ear into 4 sections... then fold ear inhalf length wise and scissor off the long stuff....... Did that make any sence???? I also do scottie heads with a 8 1/2 or 7f as some seem to have thin hair on top.... my 2 cents....

Comment

Yes, tufts are correct and IMO they look horrible without it. The tuft is a key factor in the personality of the Scotty. Do you have Notes from the Grooming Table? If so use it, if not BUY it! The tail is shorter on the underside, not the top. I take a 5 on the back of the tail and use thinners to blend it down to carrot size. Now technically the tail is pretty skinny, but with pets I find most people like the tail a bit thicker ....a fat carrot if you will

Comment

An easy trick to set scottie ear tufts: hold the scottie's ear and then place your into the front inside corner of the ear with the ball of your in the hollow, the rest of your lining up along the front side of the ear. That will cover the front part of his ear. Clip off everything behind your to the back of the ear, cleaning it off. Then take your away and clip the top half of the ear. Scissor or thinning shear the longer hair so it blends into the head, giving the ear a softer look flowing into the top of the skull. They're not supposed to look like golf balls or big weedy patches, don't leave too much. I hope this makes sense and halps you out some. Good luck with the scotties! We wanna see pictures!

Comment

and remember, they don't have a schnauzer face. It is more square and blocky. Oh and they probably won't like their toenails being messed with so be prepared for that. Never had a scotty that didn't bite for nails.

Comment

Discovered this website and thought it might help.

www.groomersreference.com

They have a whole tutorial on many breeds, including the scottie
                There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                X