Got bit today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got bit today

I had a dachshund come by today for a nail trim. When she got here, she decided she wanted a bath and nails. No prob, I took the dog back and put him in a midlevel cage.
    When I opened the cage door to get the little dog out, he lunged and bounced off my face, and tried to bite my hands. I got him shoved back in the cage. I saw the look of complete shock on the other groomers face and that is when I realized he didnt bounce off my face; he bit my nose; three holes. Ouch.
    I called the owner to come get him.
    "He is not a biter", she stated, when she picked him up.
    "he is biter; he broke the skin and deliberately lunged to bite. You are on notice that he most definitely is a biter."
    She apologized for the bite, rather halfheartedly, scolding him gently as she left, You're a bad dog, aren't you?
    I wanted to stomp him thru the floor, but didn't. Or Perhaps, her.
    did suggest she hire a good trainer before someone else got hurt.
    Deidre

sorry you got bitten, that woman is her dogs worst enemy,you were right to inform her he is biter and suggest a trainer. don't know but what i'd warn other groomers in the area.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

ouch....Hope you are ok... you know what i have noticed though is that those little dachshund tend to be pretty aggressive and nippy. I don't know what their deal is.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseBaby View Post
        ouch....Hope you are ok... you know what i have noticed though is that those little dachshund tend to be pretty aggressive and nippy. I don't know what their deal is.
        Little dog syndrome...

Comment

Quick, go down to the store and get some nose jewelry and take advantage of the new holes! Just kidding, how scary. Glad you are ok for the most part.

Comment

Sorry you got bit. With Dachshunds it's not "little dog syndrome." It's territorial terrierism. You're dealing with a breed of dog that was bred to go down a hole and fight a badger. Or a fox. Or some other equally nasty varmint. And they'll fight or guard to the death.

In spite of the fact that they're shown in the hound group, they aren't really hounds. They're terriers. And you can expect terrier behavior from them. They're hard, determined, territorial dogs. IMO the Dachshund is the most "game" dog going. They have a lot (too much at times) of fight in them, and if you hurt them, they just fight harder.

Unless you're dealing with a long haired Dachshund, always use the same amount of caution that you'd use with, oh let's say, a Scottie. Long haired Dachshunds are much more easy going, but I'd still be cautious when doing nails. They're are, after all, still terriers.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
              They're terriers. And you can expect terrier behavior from them. They're hard, determined, territorial dogs. IMO the Dachshund is the most "game" dog going. They have a lot (too much at times) of fight in them, and if you hurt them, they just fight harder.
              QFT. I got a lotta respect for anything bred to go after a badger in its den. I had a doxie owner tell me that they used to be much larger, in the neighborhood of 45-60 lbs...any truth to that?
              Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
              George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
                QFT. I got a lotta respect for anything bred to go after a badger in its den. I had a doxie owner tell me that they used to be much larger, in the neighborhood of 45-60 lbs...any truth to that?
                I don't know if they were quite that big, but in standards it's not unusual to see dogs that are 30 pounds. My Oli is 28, and I once had a smooth standard that was 32. And neither of them were fat. I'd think if they were much bigger they'd be too large to be effective in doing battle underground.

I do know there are a couple of related breeds in Germany that are probably that big. And, of course, they have the opposite extreme. The tiny Dachshunds known as keninchen (sp) that are used to bolt rabbits from their holes.

Comment

Poor Edderland. Now you've been officially mistook for a varmit.
                  Hope your schnoz feels better soon.
                  Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I never knew that Doxies were actually terriers......that explains a LOT!!! They are one breed that I am always on high alert when we are doing nails. For having such little legs
                    they sure pack a punch of strong muscle and definately know how to fight. Guess fighting to not get nails trimmed is a piece of cake compaired to fighting a badger!

Edderland, sorry your snoz now has extra breathing holes. Maybe you can think of them as piercings and decorate them with pretty nose rings......lol

Hope sibes didn't hurt your feelings by calling you a badger nose......not nice bernie.......(ducking and running.....lol)
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

interesting facts on doxis.......

well, I have 2 dogs that can NOT go in a cage, because the second you try to take them out they'll nail you. One is a doxi cross, that got sent home by the last groomer, as they put him in a cage and couldn't get him back out. The other is a poodle cross. I've heard of cage gaurding too, so that could also have been the issue.

Comment

Scnoz is healing nicely, thank you, all.
                        I choose not to deal with dogs with issues; after 45 years, let someone else get bit, not me.
                        I sent him home untouched. Suggested a trainer. She was not interested; I am probably not the last person he will bite.

Comment

I'm glad you are alright and it wasn't your eye area anyway.

That lady will never listen they never do. Most of them think oh you just don't know how to handle my dog.

Glad you kicked him out,

Comment

Yorkie Gal

I was thinking the same thing....

Comment

I do really hate it when owners

are clearly in denial about their dogs' biting. As tho we, caused it and deserved it. They need to be bitten themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X