From grooming to the hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From grooming to the hospital

Sheesh, I was worried about today because I had booked myself so heavily. I asked my groomer to ride with me today to be an extra pair of hands and thankfully she agreed. She met me at my first appointment because it's pretty close to her house and I had 4 maltese to do there. We decided to bring two out at a time so she could work on one while I worked on the other. As I was grooming Max all of a sudden I was hit with severe abdominal pain. It doubled me over and it was all I could do to stay fairly upright. I went outside to walk in the cold, asked the client to use their bathroom, and the pain seemed to subside. Got back in the van and started back on Max and within a few minutes the pain returned. this time it seemed to last longer and nothing seemed to make it go away, like walking in the cold. I sat down for a while and decided, as I felt it was starting to subside, that I needed to go to the hospital. I asked my groomer how she felt about finishing the dogs and she agreed and offered me the use of her van to drive myself (only if I felt up to it). I went in to talk to the owners and the pain hit me again as I was trying to explain the situation. Dad was worried about the dogs with a stranger, mom was worried about me LOL. So I left, went to the ER and was seen right away. Apparently, even though I had my gall bladder taken out, there can still be stones in what the doc called the "common bile duct " (I think that was it) which is what he felt was causing me the pain. because honestly it felt like either a gall bladder attack or labor pain and since I knew I didn't have a gall bladder and I wasn't pregnant I couldn't figure it out. So they put me on an IV and the woman who did it, though very nice, did the worst job ever. My arm is swollen, black and blue, and you can see an outline in reddish purple of where the tube was under my skin. They gave me fluids for a few hours and some IV meds.
    My poor groomer. I had asked her to come along to help me because of what a long day it was and instead she got the entire day dumped on her! I hope I didn't freak her out too much because I was in so much pain and there isn't a lot of room in the van. But she's still finishing my day and it's almost 7pm, started the day at 8:30am. I came home and went to bed as I was exhausted. My stomach feels like I did a million ab crunches. I am not supposed to eat anything greasy and no dairy for the next 72 hours.
    thank goodness she was with me or I don't know what I would have done today. What a lifesaver she is. And I am thankful that the pain in gone!
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I'm so glad you're feeling a bit better. Isn't it strange how things seem to work out for the best...even if we didn't plan it that way. Will you be able to eat some Christmas goodies by the end of the week?

Comment

What a tale.

Poor Mylady but yep good that she was with you. I've thought before of the what ifs, like I got sick etc. when grooming. Your groomer may not be to pleased with the long day but the money will ease her pain I'm sure.

I hope if it is a kind of stone that you can find some kind of natural preventative for that. Take care of yourself. Also good that it seems to not be too serious, at least I pray and hope that it's not at all.
      Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

OHHH I am so sorry, I know that pain. I had my gall bladder removed 2 years ago this month. I ended up in the hopital for a week, for a procedure that was suppossed to be overnight. I was admitted from the ER, schedualed for surgery, and got it taken care of I thought. No, they removed it, but left stones that they hadn't looked for. The day after surgery I was told I would feel fine. No way jose. It was worse than I felt before they removed it. But they weren't believing me. It took them 2 days to listen and look. Once they got rid of them I felt like they told me I would originally.

I hope you feel better, and don't have to feel that again
        If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

Comment

This might be graphic for some, but this is my arm after they took the IV out and the swelling went down (I'm assuming it was just fluid I hadn't absorbed yet).

I'd had nightmares all night about today, dreams that I showed up to do the 4 maltese and they suddenly had 4 standard poodles as well to do, etc. The normal stressed groomers dreams.

I am so blessed to have the employee I do. She didn't complain or bat an eye, just took it in stride.
          Attached Files
          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I'm glad you are feeling better....pace yourself gal! Things like that can really wipe you out when your body is already in high-stress holiday gear.
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Oh MY!

I am glad for you that it happened today and you will be fine for Christmas Eve and Christmas. I guess it was almost the best place to get sick. I am glad you have her. Take care, we care about you in case you didn't already know that.

When I saw your title my heart skipped a beat.

Comment

So sorry to hear about that! Hope you are soon back on your feet and feeling better. That sounds excruciating!! My SIL is having her gall bladder removed tomorrow, she says she has been miserable and is more than ready for surgery to get rid of it!

Comment

Melissa, did you notice your bruise looks like a little frowny-face? Appropiate, huh?

Take care of yourself and let us know you're doing, k?
                  Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                  George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

awww, bless your employee! And bless your heart as well. I always have a huge fear of getting sick and not being able to work during the holidays. ((hugs)) Take it easy, lady!
                    Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
                    Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

Poor Mylady. I think you just need more grit in your gizzard to break up those stones.
                      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

AHHH.. I had my gall bladder out 6 years ago, and on occassion have had that horrible pain.. So much so that it's almost made me pass out.. I didn't go to the hospital because i was like,, well, it's not my gall bladder because it's NOT there. But now that I know the stones could still be in the duct, I'm gonna bring that up to my dr.. You may have just solved my mystery.. Hope you feel better too!!

Comment

Wow, that's scary! I'm glad you are okay! How nice that you had such a great helper today too.

I thought this was going to turn into an episode of "I didn't know I was pregnant".

Comment

Glad you're on the mend. Bless your helper and give her a nice Christmas bonus.
                            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Glad you're feeling better. I've had a gall bladder attack, although I still have mine. I know how painful it is.

Keep an eye on that arm, too. It looks like the nurse went completely through the vein, or it infiltrated at some point. A little bruising is normal, but that's ridiculous. And I'd probably be on the alert for signs of phlebitis, too. That's inflamation of the vein, can be very sore and in some instances quite dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                              X