Breeding pet dogs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding pet dogs.

I was looking at local classifieds on the computer just now, and it is amazing all the ads for people wanting to breed their pet dogs. Some of these dogs (bless their hearts) are just plain ugly!! I am not being mean, I have bred my own dogs over the years, but I made sure that at least they would be pet quality. Some of these dogs I was checking out are not up to breed standard. It is wrong to just breed to breed IMO, you do not make money off it if done right. In one ad, the owner said she would make a great mommy!! aarg freaking aarg!!!

You are missing the point, this is the "new" way to make $$ and pay your bills when the economy turns sour or you loose your job. These folks have never heard of genetic testing if the dogs are pure bred nor would they care. They own a cute, nice, big, tiny, playful, good with kids, or great for protection, etc...dog and think everyone else should want one just like it!

I think anyone who plans to breed a dog should have to work in a shelter for 1 day, juts maybe their perspective would change.

sittingpretty

Comment

i agree,before i had my bitch spayed everyone wnted to breed thrieill breed, ill tempered dog to her! lost a couple of clients when i finaly told them their dog was not breed quality! just got tired of these people begging to breed, if i am going to risk my bitch, it'll be for top quality pups.
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

We had an amazing new client come in a couple weeks ago, she was SUPER sweet and just seemed like a nice person all around. She mentioned that she thought her dog needed "some booty" because he was so hyper, but when I told her the reasons she shouldn't try and breed him I believe she actually listened to what I said. I wish more people would...sometimes we really DO know what we're talking about!!

Comment

As annoying as those people are, the ones that know better and still don't health test are the worst. In my search for a new pup, I've run into many who try to pass themselves off as reputable. Then they start w/ all the excuses as to why they only did prelim tests on one of the parents hips and no testing on the other or why only the most recent generation of dogs has any testing whatsoever. (Can we say cheap!?!) You ask about showing, you get more excuses. "It's too political; I don't like the grooming; she's show quality (despite the roach back, weird movement, etc), I just didn't show her; blah blah blah." When it comes out that they've breed more than one dog before a year of age, and breed every female back to back, then they start w/ the conspiracy theories. "Everyone just wants you to think those things are bad." Yet they charge the same price or even more than the show breeder who health tests out the wazoo b/c they have "rare colors" and bigger/smaller (out of standard) dogs that the show breeders don't have. Give me a break!

Comment

I had a guy come in the other day and the discussion of spaying his dog came up with the receptionists. Being a vet clinic, they had to watch their p's and q's. This guy said, "She will not be fixed! I'm a real right-to-lifer. They have the right, just like humans do."

I literally had to bite my tongue. Seriously though, this is how the general public thinks? Still? In this century?

Comment

I hate having to bite my tongue with clients at our vet clinic...you try to gently educate and give them some facts without sounding judgmental...
              We had one idiot come in with a min pin-he was going to breed her and take the pups away at birth so "they don't breast feed and make her nipples all saggy." AAAARRGGGHHH!
              Also we were treating a pitbull with SEVERE on-going allergies-poor dog was almost naked and had horrible ear infections-and the owner casually mentioned she was going to breed her next time she went into heat. Never mind passing on the predisposition to allergies to give the unsuspecting puppy buyers the same headaches and expenses she was going thru!
              Can we say "here's your sign"?

Comment

Originally posted by Groomerchick View Post
                I had a guy come in the other day and the discussion of spaying his dog came up with the receptionists. Being a vet clinic, they had to watch their p's and q's. This guy said, "She will not be fixed! I'm a real right-to-lifer. They have the right, just like humans do."

I literally had to bite my tongue. Seriously though, this is how the general public thinks? Still? In this century?
                I guess he doesn't know we euthanize dogs for a multitude of reasons in this country, including the fact that they are simply homeless. So much for their right to life! It always bugs me when people get up in arms over spaying a pregnant bitch for that exact reason. It's okay to kill an adult dog b/c their owner moved/didn't have the time anymore/etc, but an unborn/unconceived puppy has the right to life?

Comment

Working...
                X