Is It really this hard....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It really this hard....

to find work around here? I worked in salons for a while now, been screwed over by 2-3 places, and I have moved for a job, got screwed, moved back here got screwed again. Why is that? not totally sure... makes me kinda sad and confused.. :-( I try and try and try to find work, but no one here is hiring. I'm trying to do house calls, and so far found 2 people out of a week of searching- guess I need to do more on monday. I'm just at lost on why I can not find any work... any suggestions or advice, would be greatly appreciated. As I am becoming sooo confused, and having doubt and thoughts of a career change.. I really do want to go mobile, but I clearly can not afford it right now, and won't any time soon, unless I can get more work in! Sorry, I am just upset and confused with this all.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. Oh! One last thing.. What amount of commission would you all agree is fair? Thanks again for listening to me rant!

In this economy, it is hard to find a job. That said, I would try the big box stores, call vet clinics in your area and post a position wanted on pg. I would say min. of 50% comm.

Comment

Boo: A lot of times there are jobs in good shops that are not necessarily advertised. What I would do is put together a portfolio of your work that looks nice and a professional looking resume. Call all the shops in your area, and the vets (even if they don't offer grooming). Dress nicely and neatly. Walk in and ask to speak to the owner. Tell them you have just moved back to the area, you are looking for a position, are reliable and have xyz years of experience. Show them your portfolio. I have worked in a shop setting for 10 years and you wouldn't believe the slovenly people who show up, leaning on the counter and sort of whining "Are you hiring?" Even if those people are great groomers, they don't even get a second look...we just say no. If you walk into a place with confidence, looking neat and nice and professional, you would be surprised at the reactions you might get! I hope it works out for you!!

Comment

and when you interview you might want to leave out the part about how you got screwed. I know interviewers look down upon if you badmouth past employers. Its a big warning flag

Comment

I'm sure it has as much to do w/ just flaky type groomer people. You will read many posts about how hard it is to get good help on this board. I believe many of those "bad" helpers eventually go on to open their own shop. Then Voila! Bad owner/boss.
          I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
          -Michelangelo

Comment

Thanks again! :-)

Originally posted by elizo View Post
            Boo: A lot of times there are jobs in good shops that are not necessarily advertised. What I would do is put together a portfolio of your work that looks nice and a professional looking resume. Call all the shops in your area, and the vets (even if they don't offer grooming). Dress nicely and neatly. Walk in and ask to speak to the owner. Tell them you have just moved back to the area, you are looking for a position, are reliable and have xyz years of experience. Show them your portfolio. I have worked in a shop setting for 10 years and you wouldn't believe the slovenly people who show up, leaning on the counter and sort of whining "Are you hiring?" Even if those people are great groomers, they don't even get a second look...we just say no. If you walk into a place with confidence, looking neat and nice and professional, you would be surprised at the reactions you might get! I hope it works out for you!!
            Thanks! I do have a portfolio and a good resume put together. I think I need to wait until the holiday is over, put out a bunch more fliers, and cards. And really see what I can get. In the mean time, Guess I need to find a part time job doing something else. And still work up to getting more clients in. I guess I should not get so frustrated with things, but I just hate getting screwed over. I guess I do need to go to more places and bring everything and just ask, when in doubt, I could just leave my resume with them and see what happens. Even at vet clinics, I can ask to leave a house call flier, and see if they are interested in someone grooming for them part time and all. Sigh, patience is all I need more of. :-)

Comment

Thanks to you to! :-)

Originally posted by Jadenlea View Post
              and when you interview you might want to leave out the part about how you got screwed. I know interviewers look down upon if you badmouth past employers. Its a big warning flag
              Thanks for the advice, but I have never told anyone about me getting screwed over, I just needed to vent here.. :-/ I usually don't bad mouth a place at all either.

Comment

Working...
              X