Got Broken Into!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Broken Into!

Just have to vent, I am so pissed off. Came in this morning to a smashed in front door, and a broken cash register with $200 gone. Thankfully that's all that was taken. It could've been a lot worse. But, I've been sitting here in the freezing cold all day first giving a police report, then getting an estimate to fix the glass in the door, and now watching the glass guys put in a new pane. To top it all off, they just broke the whole huge piece of glass trying to put it in.

We had to cancel everyone for today, and reschedule them for Monday, a day that we're not even open.

I just want to go home, get under the covers, and start over tomorrow. But I have to wait for another new piece of glass, finish cleaning up all the little pieces, and try to find a new cash register. My "try to be positive" attitude is not doing well.

That sucks. I always hide my money or take it home, and always leave the cash drawer open. My dad taught me that. Burglars see its empty and don't break it open. One less thing to replace.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, especially during the holidays.

Comment

what a day! hopefully the clients will be extra generous to help pay for it.
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Holy cow why was there 200?!

Comment

Ugh!

I am so sorry. I hate it when someone violates another. I pray you are blessed twofold in the upcoming days.

We had our gate bashed into right before Thanksgiving and then my insurance agent said it wasn't covered. I said how can it not be covered ... she said we didn't write it into the policy. Good grief. It was over $2000. I kept hassling the insurance company and they ended up paying all but $500.

I hope yours is covered without the deductible.

Comment

Sorry to hear it. Never leave money in the register. It's wierd to see this post because I was stressing out over the fact that I left a measley $35. in my register. I usually take it home with me and leave the register open for the world to see there's no money.

Comment

I don't leave any cash or money period at the shop for that sole reason.

I'm sorry your day was not worth getting out of bed for
              ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
              Apparently common sense isn't all that common
              *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Number one lesson I learned was never have a cash register. And if you do have it hidden. I had my shop 14 years and never got broken into. And near the end the area the shop was in turned pretty seedy too. It was near a high school. Cash registers cause more broken windows. When my Amazon ate the keys out of my hidden register I never replaced it. Computer is better . you can do more through it.

Comment

There was $200 in the register, because I'm an idiot. Expensive lesson learned!

All in all, it'll end up costing me about $700, but it's not over my deductible.

Comment

Oh I am so sorry! I know you feel violated. The store at the end of my building got broken in to a few months ago, (it is a "smoke" shop) and they obviously knew exactly what they wanted because they took one thing in particular and the guy said they had to know what and where it was to be able to get it. He figured it was the 17 yr old he refused to sell anything too earlier that day. They did about 1000 worth of damage getting in and getting in the case, to steal 100 worth of "stuff." I know with this economy plus the holiday season this kind of thing is going happen, and I hate it.

Comment

They will be back. It payed off this time. Be sure it looks like there is nothing to steal and you post a sign saying so.
                      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

i have a security camera, $60.00 at harbor freight tools, all you need is t.v. vcr and at least you can catch them! i always leave money in the register, small token amount leave register open, so they get something and hopefully don't tear up the place.
                        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

One good thing is that you were able to reschedule all of your clients for Monday. If it wasn't your normal day off, you'd have no where to squeeze them into an appt. It is the last few days of "crunch week" at least you won't be over worked !

sittingpretty

Comment

I am sorry to hear that too and it makes me MAD! That is because my shop was broken into back in February. I was so ticked and felt so violated that I wanted to spend the night there the next night with my 12 gauge shotgun and pray the creep came back again. But I refrained. I almost put a sign on the door that said, "Try me again, Sucker!"
                            But I refrained from that too because I figured the clients wouldn't get it and it would be bad for my daytime business.

The thief did come back......3 times to be exact and hit up the businesses right beside me. When he broke into my place he smashed out a window pane that went from floor almost up to the ceiling. The entire front wall of my salon is all glass. He used a metal bar of some sort to do it. I know this because we have video surveillance.

The worst part was that when I pulled up to the shop that cold, rainy day I immediately saw the glass everywhere and the gaping whole in the front of my salon. When i ran up to the door I could see that the back door at the end of the hall was wide open. My first thoughts were that my 3 shop kitties had gotten out and were dead in the road somewhere. Soon as I got inside the cats came running to me, all with stories to tell.

I gave everything a quick look and then called 911. The dispatcher asked me if the perpetrator was still on the premises and I replied that I wished he were. I have my CWP and I pack at all times. I would like to have met the perpetrator, yes indeed.

The salon had been ransacked and all was a mess. he made off with about $100 in cash but didn't take any computer equipment or video stuff. Figured he just wanted money for a drug hit. He did miss another stash of money I had in an odd place. That gave me the tiniest bit of satisfaction.

After I called the po po I slipped on a pair of rubber gloves used for applying color for some creative cat grooms and started to investigate. They did send in our own little small-town version of Horatio Caine and his crew and it all got really cool at that point. I had a student training that week so she and the early morning clients got in on all the excitement. The police asked me if I had touched anything and I was like, "duh, of course not. I watch CSI."

There is just something about that type of thing that makes one feel completely violated in an odd sort of way. But at least they caught the guy. It took about 7 months but they got him. He left behind some blood and a fingerprint. Too bad for him. No worries though, I'm sure he'll be back out in no time. I do not keep cash in the salon anymore and I have a beefed up security system - all thanks to him.

(sorry for the long post)

Comment

Originally posted by odette View Post
                              i have a security camera, $60.00 at harbor freight tools, all you need is t.v. vcr and at least you can catch them! i always leave money in the register, small token amount leave register open, so they get something and hopefully don't tear up the place.
                              Is it clear or fuzzy?
                              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
                              X