Canine Nail Care 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canine Nail Care 101

New article up on my blog! It is lengthy--but its a good one! Hope you like it!!
    http://groomwise.typepad.com/smartstyling/
    PLEASE give feedback and comments!!
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

I read it and it is excellent. You are a very smart groomer.
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Thank you Chris! I learned more about nails here then I had ever learned in school!

Comment

Great article! filled with lots of good info

Comment

thank you for that article,it was great i was taught to do nails holding paw up front and i have been trying to get used to doing it the way you described,it feels ackward to me any pointers on making it easier for me,i can do the back ones fine its the fronts i have a problem holding the way you suggested
          thanks

Comment

Good article Windy! Thanks!

Comment

Excellent information, and very easy to follow-thanks for putting in the time to educate

Comment

Informative and well-written, Chris! Also explains why some dogs pull away as I start to clip, even though I know damn well I'm not near the quick (I always wondered about that).

I'd love to know how you find the time to write a blog on top of everything else you got goin'...I'm lucky if I get my laundry done these days!
                Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Wow. Can I print that out to keep in my notes and train my son/daughter with?
                  "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                  People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                    Wow. Can I print that out to keep in my notes and train my son/daughter with?
                    Sure!
                    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Read it, love it, AWESOME advice
                      Nails are probably my least favorite thing, if you can believe it.

Comment

WOW really well done. I wish I had your writing skills. I tried to do a seminar plus I made pamphlet (in Dutch - so not even my mother language) in the summer for those basset hound owners. It turned out "ok" but not to my satisfaction. i certainly could have used your skills then.
                        I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Comment

I certainly agree w/ the part where long nails/quicks can cause obesity. On the other side of that, obesity can also cause long nails. Most of the time obese dogs are just overfed and under exercised. If more dogs took a decent stroll everyday, they wouldn't have as much nail to worry about. I have to dremel my dogs twice as much in the winter as the summer, just because they don't wear them down as fast (I'm a sissy and can't stand to walk in cold weather, neither can the danes!) As I'm sure all of us have seen, some dogs who are in fit shape and the owner walks them all the time, have little to no nail to cut every time they come in, I love that!
                          I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
                          -Michelangelo

Comment

Originally posted by rainingcats&dogs View Post
                            i was taught to do nails holding paw up front and i have been trying to get used to doing it the way you described,it feels ackward to me any pointers on making it easier for me,i can do the back ones fine its the fronts i have a problem holding the way you suggested
                            thanks
                            Everyone can do it their way,,this is just how I do it, but its not how I was taught! lol! Depending on the dog, sometimes I clip in front, and sometimes I clip with their feet planted ON the table! If you are fastest and safest at clipping in front of the dog,,there's nothing "wrong" with that!
                            Anytime another groomer shares their advice, I will always take what works for me from that session, and not all of it always works for me, so I would surely expect that from any other groomer that I mentor or talk with, too! Raining, you do it the way you feel best at!
                            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
                              Informative and well-written, Chris! Also explains why some dogs pull away as I start to clip, even though I know damn well I'm not near the quick (I always wondered about that).

I'd love to know how you find the time to write a blog on top of everything else you got goin'...I'm lucky if I get my laundry done these days!
                              Thank you! And if I had more time,,my blog would be a novel by now! I love writing, and learning and sharing (and there's laundry for me to get to today, too--we'll see if that happens!).
                              www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X