X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting news

Dear Groomers,

I have not verified it but it was reported in the newspaper today that a report from Dr. Barbara Stanfield in The Journal of The American Medical Association stated that 225,000 people a year are killed in this country by medical mistakes. Holy Cow Batman! That is not one here and there but 225,000 that's hundreds of thousands of deaths.

We hear on just a handful of accidents by groomers on pets and here are staggering statistics on Doctors and Hospitals and there is no mention of it at all in the press.

We are not talking about accidental nicks and cuts with the medical profession but 225,000 DEATHS. This was found in the Opinion section of the newspaper not on the front page where it belongs to warn people of this tragedy and be aware if they are in need of medical treatment.

[b]If 225,000 people die from medical mistakes each year how many pets die from Veterinary mistakes?[/b]

Will someone try and find out this statistic? I do not think there is a report of this with their associations. I hear stories from my clients on how they brought their pets to the Vet and returned to sorry but we could not save him. How many of these were veterinary mistakes with over medication, anestesia or downright neglegence?

Believe me I am not bashing Doctors and Vets just trying to put it into proper perspective when we see the press unkindly bashing groomers due to the "Pet Value" the story has to sell papers.

With these kinds of statistics I would say Professional Groomers who work on moving biting dogs and cats everyday have an amazing safety record far exceeding doctors and veterinarians. Where are the legislators who are losing loved ones with the bills on safety of our medical care?

I applaud you all for your skill, patience and compassion for the animals. Your track record is next to none. If these statistics are true your skill far exceeds theirs in care and safety. You are the true Champions of pets! You are underpaid, overworked and under appreciated. Let me be the first to say GREAT JOB!

Good Luck and Godspeed,

Chuck

I'm wondering if they're including nosocomial (hospital source) infections in that statistic. And while a nosocomial infection as the cause of death is outrageous too, it's not exactly a medical mistake.

Nosocomial infections in humans is pretty high. We hardly ever see them in veterinary practices. I wonder why that is. I have my own opinion on that, but for now I'll keep my opinion to myself.

And while I haven't worked in a wide range of veterinary hospitals, I don't think I've seen very many mistakes that can actually be counted as mistakes, and not unfortunate complications, like anesthesia reactions or other drug reactions. You really can't call adverse reactions to medications mistakes. They're unfortunate, but if the medication was appropriate for the situation and it was administered correctly, it's really not a mistake if the animal has a reaction to it.

Personally, I've had to deal with a couple of mistakes at the pharmacy. Twice I've run into the problem of receiving the wrong medication. The one I was given (Vicoden) is widely prescribed, but I'm allergic to it. I have to take Emperin instead, and it's rarely used these days. The abreviations are similar. Vicoden is APA, Emperin is ASA. I understand the mistake, but I could have died if I hadn't noticed the pills looked different.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
      Where are the legislators who are losing loved ones with the bills on safety of our medical care?
      They don't have to worry about it. They have the best healthcare our tax dollars can buy!

Interesting post, Chuck. I'll be intrigued to see the responses.
      Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
      George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Thats a lot of deaths. Does make you wonder what the vets track records are considering they are not working with beings that can say that they have a bad headache or tummy ache or what ever. I am very interested in knowing the statistics.
        It would be fun to see that a vet who can not communicate verbally with his/her patient has a better track record than a doctor who can ask his/her patient what ails him/her.
        I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Comment

Wow that is crazy, thanks for the report Chuck

Comment

Healthcare in the US is a mess

Dear Candee,

By the way it was also reported that we have the most deaths of all countries due to these mistakes and are at the bottom of the list.

Blue Cross Blue Sheild wants $27,000 per year for my family of 4 next year for our health insurance premium. I can't afford it and will be looking for alternatives.

My brother married a Flemish lady and when he needs surgery (he got a hip replacement) or extended health care he goes to Antwerp. Health is realitively free to it's citizens and the quality of the care is first class. It seems you guys know how to take care of your people much better then we do.

Chuck

Comment

We will never know because vets don't report on each other. People are seen at hospitals where many physicians work. Vets each have their own hospital.
              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Smarty is right. Vets don't have the same sort of governing agency that human doctors do. They also don't have morbidity meetings like human hospitals do, that go over deaths, and the causes thereof. And vets really don't deal with insurance agencies, either.

On the other hand, vets are much more likely to see morabund patients, too. A lot of people don't seek the advice of their vet until their animal is near death. In those cases it usually doesn't matter if the vet makes a mistake or not.

But I do know that nosocomial infection rates are much lower for vets than for humans hospital patients. And I really can only remember the vet I was working for, years ago, making one mistake that resulted in the death of a patient.

Comment

Chuck - that is so true. My husband and I have both agreed that the health system in America is probably the only things we could never leave is the health system here (which is also fairly comparable in Canada just with more waiting lists with my understanding).
                  When I had my daughter, I had a nurse who came to my house for 5 days who helped care for my baby and myself AND did light house hold duties. She did my laundry, bathrooms, made meals, and so on. It doesn't get better than that!
                  IF there is a waiting list for a much needed procedure, then you are covered to have that procedure done elsewhere with full travel expenses payed for.

It's a shame that health care systems are not like this is all western countries.
                  I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                    Personally, I've had to deal with a couple of mistakes at the pharmacy. Twice I've run into the problem of receiving the wrong medication. The one I was given (Vicoden) is widely prescribed, but I'm allergic to it. I have to take Emperin instead, and it's rarely used these days. The abreviations are similar. Vicoden is APA, Emperin is ASA. I understand the mistake, but I could have died if I hadn't noticed the pills looked different.
                    Working in a pharmacy doing data entry all day long, I can tell you it was probably NOT totally the pharmacy's fault. Most of my day is spent on the phone confirming information on prescriptions that is 1) illegible, 2) doesn't make sense (directions and quantity don't add up to a 30, 60, or 90 days supply); or 3 completely MISSING from the prescription. Maybe our facility is more conservative and we are allowed less latitude to "fill in the blanks" but our error rate is less than 2% as far as major errors (wrong patient, wrong drug, etc). I do know we call the doctors/patients on more issues than most retail pharmacies do, so maybe that is why we have such a low error rate.

Comment

Used to work with a lady who worked with "Bag 'em & tag 'em @#[email protected]@" (doctor's name). This vet supposedly lost sooo many during neuter/spay surgeries that he earned, a hmmm behind the scenes name by his tech's. That's bad, horrible, tragic, etc. I always asked why they never did anything about it? Never got an answer.

Comment

Oooh, the almighty healthcare debate has reared its ugly head. I will keep my private insurance, cuz it is pretty damned great, thanks. I will be sad if it is taken away from me due to higher taxes on private insurance, and my only alternative is socialized healthcare. Taxes are already really high, I surely don't want mine to go up even more, and where else will the $$ come from to pay for it? Just one step closer to losing the freedoms that we know and love, if you ask me. Sorry, can't let this one go...Candee-I am curious to know where the $$ comes from to pay for all of those great maternity services you had-surely it doesn't come out of thin air...

Comment

PS, I take care of MYself and MY family, and don't rely on others (people or government) to do it for me. Our healthcare is a mess, I will agree with that, but the government doesn't have the ability to clean it up IMO-they have only made it worse.

Comment

Working...
                          X