Passing it on...Holiday Joy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing it on...Holiday Joy

During the holidays I like to take the time to be thankful for what I have, and try to pass some random joy onto others.

A few things I do:

I keep 10.00 bills in my purse and randomly hand them to to cashiers, waiters or other people in the service industry that look a little down and out or overworked. I always wish them a happy holiday and it brings a very surprised smile to their faces.

I keep a plow on my Jeep and will stop and plow drives if I see an elderly person out shoveling in the snow.

Doing things for others brings such joy to all involved.

What do you do this time of year to bring a little joy to those around you?

I do a lot of cooking and baking and bring what I make to neighbors, my mechanic, the bank, etc. Also bake for church a lot over the holidays.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Tossing in small add ons that the clients didn't ask for, like painting the nails on a girly standard poodle whose mother has cancer.

Pay for the guy behind you on a toll road.

Take a group of teens christmas caroling and then out for hot chocolate at McDonalds afterward.

Let the guy behind you who has only two items go in front of you and your full cart at the check out lines - that ALWAYS gets a smile.

Tell the harried cashier that they are doing a great job and that you appreciate how difficult their job has to be at this time of year. ( and slip them a little gift if you have it.)

Comment

I took in a large nut/snack stuff in to 2 of our local Vets offices.
        I too keep extra money in my purse for when people are putting things back cause they can't afford it I give them money so they can buy it.
        I offer to take the grocery cart in the store or rack for the ones that are done with it in the parking lot.
        I think it would be fun to tell the cashier to give a credit of so much to the person behind me..without that person knowing it until I'm gone. Maybe I'll try that this week.

Comment

We always travel for the Holidays and I so love paying the tolls for the person behind me!
          Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Tips

I try to tip very well and make sure I give thoughtful gifts. I also try to have a smile for everyone and make sure I do those extra kindnesses that make people smile.

Comment

Hahaha

Originally posted by Plexi View Post

Sorry I must be really tired... I had to double look cause I thought it said " I look a large nut/sack .... "

my appoligies...

I feel like a terrible person. I'm so frazzled this time of year I don't think of all those need little things. I do tend to give gifts to my service providers, like my chiropractor, massage therapist, daycare lady, etc.

I think i'll try some random act of kindness... maybe on christmas, i'll go to the seven eleven and give the people who have to work the holliday a little gift... now what to give?

Comment

I like paying for people behind me at the drive-thru, but instead of handing out cash, I like handing out gift cards in small increments. $10 Itunes, Starbucks, McDonalds, Visa Gift cards. I do this with homeless people too when they ask for cash. (but only to food places.)
                There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

We help out at a local soup kitchen for Christmas. Hopefully someday we'll have kids, and I'll have them do the same thing with me.

We're inviting one of our elderly neighbors out to dinner for Christmas Eve. She's a widow and her only son will be out of town; sometimes there's no better gift than to have a little company.

Comment

Originally posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
                    I like paying for people behind me at the drive-thru, but instead of handing out cash, I like handing out gift cards in small increments. $10 Itunes, Starbucks, McDonalds, Visa Gift cards. I do this with homeless people too when they ask for cash. (but only to food places.)
                    Damn that's smart.
                    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Plexi View Post
                      I too keep extra money in my purse for when people are putting things back cause they can't afford it I give them money so they can buy it.
                      I offer to take the grocery cart in the store or rack for the ones that are done with it in the parking lot.
                      I think it would be fun to tell the cashier to give a credit of so much to the person behind me..without that person knowing it until I'm gone. Maybe I'll try that this week.
                      I thought you said "large nut sack" too, lol.

My vet got a Godiva chocolate and coffee gift basket from Sams Club as a thank you for referrals. Sams makes holiday shopping so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
                        I do this with homeless people too when they ask for cash. (but only to food places.)
                        This is a really neat idea.
                        Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                        www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I give money to the Salvation Army. I would do more if I could but to be honest I try to do all through the year.

Comment

I give money to the Salvation army too. I ate Christmas dinner at a Salvation Army when I was 16. I had run away from home....

Comment

I have a regular customer with a little poodle who I groom once a month.. Her husband is in construction, and now they are having a hard time.. But she STILL comes once a month.. Today she's getting a free groom.. But doesn't know it yet..

I also live next door to a gas station, and they are open EVERY day.. I brought them thanksgiving dinner, and will bring them christmas dinner.

I just gathered up my daughters gently used books, wrapped them and dropped them off at a toy drive.

I'm also planning on buying a little extra food this week and dropping it off at the food bank.. I do that through out the year, because I've had to use the food banks on occassion.

I've allowed my mother to live with us for over a year now.. And if you knew her, you'd understand JUST WHAT an act of kindness that really is.. (sigh)

Comment

Working...
                              X