good deeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good deeds

i wanted to start a thread on good deeds done on your behalf.
    during one horrible snow storm, it was snowing every other day here. i live on a bend in a curve so that every time the snow plow would come by, it would dump the snow from the block onto my driveway.
    well, i had just finished shoveling my driveway, when the plow come by and dumped snow 18 inches high and four feet down my driveway.
    i sat down on the snow pile on my lawn and wanted to cry.
    this guy comes by with his snow plow, tells me to move, plows my driveway and then leaves before i could get his name. his truck was not lettered.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Mine is snow related too.

Had a genuine BLIZZARD 6 years ago, and as my driveway is recessed into a hill, with fancy, artisan crafted, local rock walls on either side...instead of getting just the 18 inches...I got the benefit of all the blowing snow as well. 5 FEET of it.
    It completely FILLED my driveway, to the point that ALL you could make out was the roof of my rather large extended cab pick-up truck.

I waded out to the road, took me 1/2 the morning, and just as I got to the road (40 feet from my front door, btw)...a neighbor driving a humongous John Deere tractor w/ a bucket on the front...stopped and asked if he could "scoop" me out.

I was on the verge of Sibe tears and told him "PLEASE!!!! Why would you EVEN ask?"

He responded that sometimes when he dug people out w/out asking...they actually tried to sue him for damage to a mailbox, fence post or the like? Ungrates!!!!!

So he dug out as far as my truck, dumping what was eventually two piles of snow, 15 feet high at the end of the driveway...freeing me!!!!!
    I gave him everything I had in my house in appreciation. I think I even gave him my window Air Conditioner?

Follow-up. The mountains of piled snow began to melt. Took me 12 weeks to gather the giant rocks he had "scooped" up in the bucket. I "glued" the 40 lb. suckers back into "a wall" with bathroom caulk and it's never looked the same. Actually...it looks pretty bad. But...it is my "monument" to a good deed! Truthfully...the end of my driveway looks downright horrible. Stonemason...I am not. As a child, I didn't even do wooden blocks very well.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Mine...

has been posted before, but last September I had a really bad day. I had an 80lb old dog on the table. he was blind and deaf. I had my bather on the other side of the table for support, but she stepped away to answer the phone. The dog's back foot stepped off the table, she got scared, and she started fighting. I grabbed her around the middle and she cow-kicked with her back foot and somehow broke my finger. She was fine, went home happy. An hour later, I was using my 10" shears and SOMEHOW managed to stab myself in the chin. Bad news, I was grooming a bichon and ended up bleeding all over him. I also had 2 staff members call in sick that day.

Understatement: I had a real bad day. I had a client come in who I'd groomed for for about a year. I had a band-aid on my face, my hand was in a bucket of ice and I was about ready to scream. She came in, took one look at me and gave me a key off her key chain. It was a key to her condo on the beach (4 hours away) and told me to go away for a day or two on her. It was stocked with food and everything! I ended up taking a day off and leaving hubby, dogs and everything at home and went by myself for 3 days! That was the best Good Deed ever. I now have a copy of the key and am invited to use it whenever it is available.

God puts people in our lives for a reason. Sometimes I think that we encounter few really good deed-doers so that we will appreciate them more.

Comment

I had a really bad day back when my dog Missy first got diagnosed with Addison's, I was sitting in line at a drive through, and when I pulled up to the window to pay, the lady told me the guy ahead of me paid for my lunch and told her to tell me, that such a pretty face should never look so sad, and that he would pray things would get better for me. I got my food and pulled up out of the way and just cried. I've never heard of anyone ever doing something like that before. But it really did help.

Dang I'm tearing up thinking about it.
        "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

That was really nice of him!
          Good deeds for me--well, the most recent was that the local coffee house owner saw me outside shovelling, and about 15 minutes later ( I live about 5 minutes from town) ,,he showed up at my driveway with a full large cup of joe--now that was NICE!!
          Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Sometime I don't have any money or anything but, I make sure to get the service person's name and write an e-mail or call corporate and see to it that the service person is recognized for a great attitude, being funny, going out of their way for me, etc. You never know how much that person appreciates getting appreciated.
            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
              Sometime I don't have any money or anything but, I make sure to get the service person's name and write an e-mail or call corporate and see to it that the service person is recognized for a great attitude, being funny, going out of their way for me, etc. You never know how much that person appreciates getting appreciated.
              Me too, I always think it's important to let a company or someone know that they're doing a good job, good people make a good and successful company, and if you're employees are recognized for their assets, they will want to continue. I know I feel that way if someone compliments me.

Comment

I'm always the one doing the good deeds...

It's been a while since anyone did something nice for me now that I think about it. I felt really bad this year because I did not have the means to follow through with my Christmas charity since we closed our shop location. Every December the first Tuesday is my 'Toys for Tots Tuesday' every dime I make tips and all I take at the end of the day and load up on toys. Last year I had four shopping carts full! This year I find myself dropping quite a bit extra in those little red baskets, but it still doesn't feel the same :/

Ya know what?! The other day I did get a random compliment that felt so good it may just fall into the good deed category. I was so happy I posted about it on FB actually lol

Comment

Originally posted by pawsitivepetgrooming View Post
                  Me too, I always think it's important to let a company or someone know that they're doing a good job, good people make a good and successful company, and if you're employees are recognized for their assets, they will want to continue. I know I feel that way if someone compliments me.
                  I totally agree. I love doing this,,I walk away feeling like I gave a smile to someone else,,and the cool thing is that they don't know who said it; and it might give them a boost they need to get them thru a tough day.
                  Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                  www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Working...
                  X