Groom anything besides cats and dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groom anything besides cats and dogs?

So latley their have been a few people coming in and asking if we groom ferrets,guine pigs etc. So my question is would anyone offer to groom these? We don't but I was just curious if other people, besides vets actualy offer small animal grooming?

I Do.....

I groom rabbits, ferrets, show goats and I have even had a bearded dragon in for a nail clip.... I am the one groomer I know that offers all pet grooming. Of course they are scheduled on certain days and/or times. How ever you must have the knowledge of how to groom the pets you will be working with. I have a great vet, he is willing to work with me one on one with anything. He sent a spy to examine my shop and how i would deal with a special needs schnauzer(epilepsy) His owners could never get him groomed because of the noise and the typical day of a conveyor belt groom shop. Its must be quite and you must stay calm. I can groom him without sed meds. I know get at least one call a day saying( the vet recommended you) sorry I got off track. I You can't just toss a rabbit in a tub of water, you can kill them from shock or stress. If you choose to groom other types of pets, I promise you'll have fun....

Comment

I have groomed a potbelly pig (can't stand the squealing and screaming, or the pig's noise, either).
      guinea pigs, lots. A few rabbits.nobody wants to pay what they are worth to shave down awful matted messes.
      I hav e done a skunk. A couple of ferrets; don't care for the musk that either species exudes.
      deidre

Comment

There's not a big demand for grooming on the "pocket pets" around here, but I'm up for challenge.

I've had one person call twice in 8 months for guinea pig grooming. It's the same person and she owns a matted long haired GP. She booked the first time she called, then canceled a couple days later. The second time she called, she didn't bother to make the app't. I've quoted her a nominal fee to demat with her there - I'd like to teach her how to keep her GP combed out and how to safely cut out a mat. I think she's holding out for a free grooming session, since she ONLY paid $10 for the pig.

I also groom a couple of angora rabbits, two different clients. I'm sure to tell the owners of these small pets the risks of death due to stress. I like to have them stay in the building while I work on their pet and ask them to bring along their favourite treat and some of their bedding (smells like home) and get them done and back home as soon as possible.

I haven't had any requests for birds yet, and I don't think I'd like to work with them anymore (Did when I worked as a Vet Tech, many years ago).
        "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

My first salon we groomed rabbits, ferrets and Guinna pigs.clipped wings and trimmed nails of birds.I personally don't do these types of pets any more.I would rather groom a ticked off rabbit any day over a ticked off rabbit or other lol.

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
            My first salon we groomed rabbits, ferrets and Guinna pigs.clipped wings and trimmed nails of birds.I personally don't do these types of pets any more.I would rather groom a ticked off rabbit any day over a ticked off rabbit or other lol.
            HUH??
            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

If I had the time, energy and ambition I would offer horse grooming. There's alot of clipping to be done in the winter time, and mane and tail braiding. Its very time consuming.
              don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
                I would rather groom a ticked off rabbit any day over a ticked off rabbit or other lol.
                Lol...I think that was written wrong...but I would love to try to groom other types of animals...where would you get the education for such things??

Comment

Before I was a dog groomer I groomed Arabian, American Saddlebreds, and National Show Horses for the show ring.It's funny how things come full circle.Show horses led me to showing dogs,and they led me to grooming.

Comment

I've done shave downs on rabbits. Very scary, super thin skin. Lots of guinea pig nails. Did our resident macaw's nails the other day. First time for that. I've shown my Quarter Horses, so have done all clipping, banding/braiding, washing etc. Keeping show tails clean is a pain.

Comment

When I worked at a pet store I had two odd regulars, one giant flop eared bunny and one Skunk (de-skunked and it still had a funny smell). They came for bathes only, I would never clip them to scary. I don't have any 'different critters' anymore, but I do offer bird wing and nails for select clients who behave.

Comment

Years ago I worked at a vet hospital and I would grrom ferrets, rabbits, potbellied pigs, did a bobcat (sedated) and I put my foot down on grooming a turkey.

Comment

I groom a part angora rabbit about four times a year. The owner likes to keep his coat shorter and of course his nails get trimmed too.

Comment

Boyfriends count?
                            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                            People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I'll do almost any pocket pet. In the past I've done rabbits, Guinea Pigs, rats, and ferrets. I once had 20 baby ferrets to bathe. Whee, what fun. All I did was put a couple of inches of soapy water in the tub and add 10 ferrets. They pretty much washed themselves while they played. Rinsed them and repeated with the other 10 ferrets.

I also do bird wings and nails. I draw the line at beaks. I'll do my own bird's beak, but not anyone else's birds.

Comment

Working...
                              X