A report by UK's RSPCA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A report by UK's RSPCA

This is so important that I didn't want it to get lost in the Pedigree Dogs Exposed thread.

After "Pedigree Dogs Exposed" was aired in the UK, the RSPCA did a scientific study on pedigree dog breeding using acclaimed experts in the fields of animal welfare science, genetics, epidemiology, and veterinary science.

Link to the the RSPCA's report

I have to ask....are these posts AR or PETA related? There seems to be an awful lot of purebred dog bashing going on...
    "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

Originally posted by fiveoclockdog View Post
      I have to ask....are these posts AR or PETA related? There seems to be an awful lot of purebred dog bashing going on...
      I noticed the same thing. So many purbred bashing threads, so little time....sigh.

Comment

Absolutely not. Animal WELFARE related? YES! There's a difference between the animal rights movement and animal welfare. I have no ties to any animal rights nor animal welfare group. I'm just a pet owner.

Comment

Animal welfare, I can relate to. I've spent three decades involved in shelter support and operations, animal cruelty investigations, spay/neuter projects, feral cat projects, community support and training to reduce shelter surrenders and returns, therapy dog, and on...and on... Over the years, conscientious breeders of purebred dogs have have put in more funding and man hours, created additional rescue groups, and donated more equipment and supplies, knowledge and time, than any other group as a whole. On a personal level, I know that I became a breeder because of a profound love and admiration for my chosen breed. I do everything I can to promote and support it. However, a good portion of my time is spent cleaning up the messes and repairing the damage of other "pet" owners. Whether it's been standing in a room euathanizing dozens of puppies and kittens that were the products of intact mixed origin pets owned by people who just don't give a sh!#, grooming and training cruelty cases at no charge (as I'm sure many of the members of this forum do), working at the local shelters, visiting schools to provide humane education, and generally trying to think of animal welfare as a concern for ALL animals instead of hyper focusing on a particular group. Attacks on the breeders of purebred dogs will result in them putting up a defensive wall and shutting animal welfare groups out. The result will be that the animals in need will be deprived of care, funding, man hours, and knowledge that these people provide. "Be careful what you wish for...You just might get it."
          Last edited by fiveoclockdog; 12-13-09, 02:40 PM.
          "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

instead of hyper focusing on a particular group. Attacks on the breeders of purebred dogs will result in them putting up a defensive wall and shutting animal welfare groups out.
            Once again, I don't see any "attacks" on good breeders of purebreds. I do see, and support, a call to expose breeders of purebreds (and, yes, I would hope for non-purebreds as well ) who knowingly pass on genetic defects via breeding.

I can't imagine any good breeder feeling threatened by this.
            The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by blue View Post
              Once again, I don't see any "attacks" on good breeders of purebreds. I do see, and support, a call to expose breeders of purebreds (and, yes, I would hope for non-purebreds as well ) who knowingly pass on genetic defects via breeding.

I can't imagine any good breeder feeling threatened by this.
              Well...I AM a good breeder and I don't feel threatened...I feel offended. I'd also like to hear/read about less blah blah blah and see a little more action in the trenches. How about everyone substituting rhetoric for action. How about putting deeds and funds where their mouths are? Talk is cheap.

Comment

Well...I AM a good breeder and I don't feel threatened...I feel offended. I'd also like to hear/read about less blah blah blah and see a little more action in the trenches. How about everyone substituting rhetoric for action. How about putting deeds and funds where their mouths are? Talk is cheap.
                If you're a good breeder, why on earth would you feel offended? Can you specifically say what offends you? Are you offended that bad breeders are being criticized?

And what exact deeds, funds and actions would you like to see? And from whom? It would help my understanding if you could be a little more specific.
                The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by blue View Post
                  If you're a good breeder, why on earth would you feel offended? Can you specifically say what offends you? Are you offended that bad breeders are being criticized?

And what exact deeds, funds and actions would you like to see? And from whom? It would help my understanding if you could be a little more specific.
                  There's no IF about it.

I am offended by distortion and dramatization.
                  I am offended by unethical one sided reporting.
                  I am offended by people with little or no knowledge of genetics spouting unfounded ****.
                  I am offended by people who talk talk talk but never dream of hauling their lazy butts off the couch to go down to the shelter to volunteer.
                  I am offended by people who never donate a dime, their time, or anything other than their tongues to animal welfare but are more than happy to swallow and then spout sensationalistic **** hook, line, and sinker.

Deeds -
                  Go down to the shelter and break a sweat.
                  Volunteer to help with spay/neuter and humane education.
                  Take a few bucks out of a pocket and buy supplies.
                  Offer free grooming or training
                  Foster
                  Help with feral cat populations
                  Picket puppy mill pet shops

Funds -
                  How about taking all the funds spent on air time and reporters and rhetoric for a campaign against purebreds and spend it on spay/neuter? or humane education? or cruelty investigations?

"Charity begins at home."

Comment

Funds -
                    How about taking all the funds spent on air time and reporters and rhetoric for a campaign against purebreds and spend it on spay/neuter? or humane education? or cruelty investigations?

"Charity begins at home."
                    You're totally missing the point. No one is "campaigning against purebreds." Or at least nothing I've seen. Can you point me to a real campaign against purebreds" ?

And a lot of the people who would like to see better breeding practices DO help out with animals. I know, because I know some of these people. They DO spend money and time. What evidence do you have that they don't?

As far as cruelty investigations... in a nutshell, that's what the BBC show was about.

Comment

Well... I don't think I'm missing the point. I think a lot of people are fascinated by "shiny objects" and miss the agenda beneath them. The only proof I have as to whether or not these people are involved or not, is my life experience and thus far it's been my experience that they are not. As far as "knowing someone who spends time and money"...I'd rather BE someone who does.. I'm done with this. It's a waste of time and leaves me depressed and disgusted.

Comment

Well... I don't think I'm missing the point. I think a lot of people are fascinated by "shiny objects" and miss the agenda beneath them. The only proof I have as to whether or not these people are involved or not, is my life experience and thus far it's been my experience that they are not. As far as "knowing someone who spends time and money"...I'd rather BE someone who does.. I'm done with this. It's a waste of time and leaves me depressed and disgusted.
                        I have spent many an hour and many a dollar on the welfare of animals. Your false dilemma is a logical fallacy and one of many in your posts on this thread. But I'll clarify anyway- my simple assertion that I know people who spend time and money in no way comments on whether I do the same or not. Although, you might consider that I know myself reasonably well. And as far as I know, you have had no "experience" with me or the animal lovers I know.

But I'm just responding to your smoke and mirrors. Your lengthy diatribe on working in shelters, fostering, etc. has little, if anything to do with the issue at hand.

And I can't help but wonder why there are some purebred breeders on this site who totally understand the thrust of the BBC show and you cannot. That it's not about "bashing purebreds". Go read the thread on the mobile site. Maybe they can teach you something.

Comment

I've read all the threads... and as stated in my prior post... I'm done.

Comment

Ignoring the problem won't make it go away. Anyone who is involved with purebred dogs, either breeding or showing, has got to realize there are some serious issues in the health and soundness caused by improper breeding and things like popular sire syndrome.

I know it's convenient to blame groups like PETA and ALF. But we have to be honest about it. Breeders created the problem, and continue to give animal rights organizations ammunition because not enough is being done to fix the problem.

Too many breeders hide the faults they know are in their lines. Case in point, my little Whizzy. He came from a local breeder. When she found out he has a severe parrot jaw, she dumped him at a local vet's office, who placed him with a rescue organization. After I got him I tracked down his breeder. We discussed his deformity. She assured me they were "...heartbroken about his mouth, and the breeding will not be repeated." WHAT?!?!

They aren't going to repeat the breeding? What good is that going to do? Both parents are carriers. Both need to be culled from further breeding with any other dogs. Whizzy's siblings probably should not be bred, either, unless DNA testing could rule out that they carry the gene for parrot jaw. Any puppy from either parent should also be tested, if the test exists. Is the breeder going to do that? Nope. She's just not going to breed Mom with Dad again.

And that's the sort of thinking that's put purebred dogs in peril. Stick your head in the sand. Ignore the problem and hope it goes away. But it won't.

I no longer breed, and probably won't get involved in it again. But those who DO breed MUST pull their heads out of the sand (or wherever they have it stuck) and realize THEY are at fault, not PETA. And they are the only ones who can fix it.

Comment

The RSPCA is an animal RIGHTS organization, no question. They are the most powerful AR group in Great Britain and they don't give two hoots about ending genuine abuse/neglect of pets/domestic animals, but the total abolishment of entire animal industries. They just banned a woman from owning dogs because her show Tibetian Terriers were debarked by veterinarians. Apparently, they can't abolish veterinarians from performing this sometimes necessary and life-saving procedure but they can abolish people from owning dogs that have been de-barked. Like PeTA, ALF, SHARK, PAW...RSPCA is a dangerous animal RIGHTS group that needs to be stopped!

Comment

Working...
                              X