OMG! Any Suggestions for puppies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG! Any Suggestions for puppies

Hey you guys. I was just wondering how some of yall that have been grooming for say 20 plus years handle puppy's first groom. I have had 2 puppies both 4 months in the last two weeks and they are the hardest things to groom ever. My policy is no dogs under 15 weeks, but after these last two puppies I must say I am reconsidering a policy of NO PUPPIES. I love them they are cute but gosh they are wiggle worms. I explained to both owners that I want to keep the first groom simple as not to give them a bad start with the groomer but even the simplest of task with a puppy seems to be an exausting chore. Does anyone have any really good pointers for dealing with puppies when they get there first grooms. Up until I opened my shop I did not see very many pups for grooming. Like I said I try and just keep it simple with the basics but I am open to any suggestions you guys might have.

Start them earlier? I start them as sson as possible. NEVER have a bad puppy! I just clean the table, often place a towel of puppy pad on it and use a cage that has been bleached well. No worries about them getting sick, and they are wonderful to groom.
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I say start them earlier also ,yes they can be somewhat difficult to handle to start with but they do get better over the course of regular grooming.Waiting until the pup is 4-6 months old makes it much harder for the first groom as they are now larger stronger and twice as scared as an 8 week old pup would be. Not to mention already have mats to be removed.Does not make for a good first grooming.

Comment

At my work we take puppys after they have had their second set of shots, and we just start off slow. We usualy offer feet, face, & sani for starters and go from there depending on how the puppy acts. We also offer special puppy prices for bath also just to get them used to even coming to the grooming salon.

Comment

The biggest thing that helps me is getting the puppy into a calm state before starting anything on it. I then pet the puppy like crazy with my hand while they remain calm and slowly transition my my petting hand to the clipper. I begin petting the puppy with the casing of the clippers while they are turned off. I then turn the clippers on and just sit there and see how they react to the noise. As soon as they are relaxed with the noise, I use a soft petting motion with the clipper blade on the fur. In a sense the puppy is being "petted" with the clippers and they really enjoy it.

Comment

I love grooming puppies! They should be started as early as possible though. Go slow and have fun with them, you want to make it a fun experiance!

Comment

Somebody needs to make a puppy DVD with like, 20 puppies on it. Are you listening, Jodi Murphy?
              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
              X