Working.... is it that difficult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working.... is it that difficult?

I need to hire a groomer extremely bad :-) But, my issues are: How hard is it to show up to work SOBER, ON-TIME and not bring drama?

I have been spoiled and have had a great staff, one of my lovely groomers is opening up her own shop and I am helping her. I am trying to fill her shoes (which will be hard for anyone) but am feeling disheartened.

I just needed to vent- if you know of anyone REPUTABLE please send them my way :-)

Welcome to my he##. I feel the same way and have had no luck......
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Amen, sista'

I have hired 3 in the past and swear I will never hire another one! They work for a while then decided to steal clients and open a shop right down the road. If I could find a groomer that was loyal and honest, I may just forgive the drinkin' and the drama!!! (JK)

Comment

I can't believe its that hard.

Wow I wish I lived near all of you. I have a hard time finding a good place to work. I do have a small shop I run from home but need extra day or two somewhere else. I can't find any place near me good to work for. I don't want your clients, I'm not interested in grooming all the dogs you don't want or weigh more than I do. I just want a kind, caring atmosphere who is willing to divide dogs evenly. That must be to much to ask for.

Comment

I recently opened my own shop and to be honest I don't know if I ever want to hire more groomers.I'm sorry to say but as a woman I can almost get away with it lol.No matter what type of work place it is when you put several women in the same place you get drama petty bickering and cat fights(verbal).its almost inevitable

Comment

Drunk grooming?!

I am surprised to hear that there is a problem with intoxicated groomers. I have groomed for many years and NEVER had the idea to drink while I use sharp instruments on a dog. That is sooo dangerous. I'm sorry that you are having to go through this. I am guilty of taking clients because I worked for a terrible business man that kept a filthy & ill equipped environment, so I just got an offer at another shop and I intend to contact my regular customers and let them know where I am. If I don't tell them they will be so distraught because I have been their groomer for so many years. Good luck on finding a respectful groomer that takes pride in their work and not just looking for a good paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
              I recently opened my own shop and to be honest I don't know if I ever want to hire more groomers.I'm sorry to say but as a woman I can almost get away with it lol.No matter what type of work place it is when you put several women in the same place you get drama petty bickering and cat fights(verbal).its almost inevitable
              AMEN to that. I left corporate and office work because of the drama and junk and was disappointed when I found the same thing at my first two grooming jobs.

Comment

I have a hard enough time getting a couple of bathers to do a half decent job. I finally gave up on groomers, and won't be going down that road again.

Comment

I would imagine popping pills would be more prominent than drinking, but I haven't come across any kind of substance abuse. Now the cat fights on the other hand...and I don't mean the felines! I guess that's why they call women catty(sp?) right?

Comment

That's really depressing, Kristen, and GROSS! I would so totally work for you if I wasn't running my own joint and 3K miles away.
                    Jacob

Comment

Too bad this country is so big.

I would love to work with you, but it would be a real bummer of a commute. I just got laid off and am determined to find a job in a shop where my supervisor is direct (but in a nice way, no screaming or throwing things) and coworkers are not backstabbing gossiping drama queens. I am pretty sure that will only happen if I find the dream boss and am the only other person in the shop. Sorry I don't live closer Gracy Rose.

Comment

and i suppose you expect soap and water used!? sheesh.... if they cant come straight from adrunken onenighter,hungover, disheveled why would you want them? that's why i work alone. had agood groomer once, she then rediscovered all the above. and an abuusive boyfriend that threatened me! best of luck.
                        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I have called in sick twice in nearly 4 years. I have been late twice---one of those times I was bringing a quiche for everybody, lol.

I don't drink, smoke (wow, no smoke breaks every 10 min!) or do drugs, and I don't scare people when they first see me, lol.

But I am not looking right now, and I'm too far away. But if I were in FL, I might apply. But wouldja hire me? I'm reaaaaaallly boring!

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

If I was nearer, I'd be there in a heartbeat for you!
                            Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Very, very hard

Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
                              I need to hire a groomer extremely bad :-) But, my issues are: How hard is it to show up to work SOBER, ON-TIME and not bring drama?
                              Apparently it can be extremely difficult for an awful lot of groomers; how sad - for them, the employers, and the dogs.

Currently there are 2 of us sharing space we rent from a 3rd business owner. We each have our own phones, own hours, own clients. It's a great little "grooming co-op", and I consider that we are very fortunate. Each of us has been in our own shop previously, none of us has any substance abuse issues, we are all responsible and reliable, all dog lovers and still enjoying our work - wow!! And we try hard to deal with each other fairly, kindly and with a generous spirit - double/triple WOW!!

Good luck with your search.

Comment

Working...
                              X