Bloodhound In Trouble!!! Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodhound In Trouble!!! Please Help!

I got the following e-mail from a customer of mine today! I feel so bad for this dog, but they had nothing but problems with him from the start. The funny thing is he is fine when he is away from them (but he does not like being bathed-shoots his anals EVERY time) Please let me know if anyone is interested! I live in Illinois...

"Just was wondering if anyone knew of a farmer or someone that is looking for a dog. Kinda away from other people because he is a major barker. We have to find our dog a new home. About two weeks ago he bit the neighbor, then yesterday he bit one of the kids grandparents picking them up. Nicholas is taking this very hard. I need to do the best thing for him right now and that is to find Duke a new home. I can't have a dog around that will bit. If he bit my little boy and gave him a scar that would kill me. Along with me watching children I also need to be careful. Duke is a great dog for a person that wants to hunt or has a farm. Needs to get out there and run and hunt. He doesn't like other dogs and only likes his family. So someone older without a child. He is not a good house dog. Chewer big time. He is neutered and will be 2 in a few days. He is a bloodhound. Not a good dog to take on walks. Will pull you down. Loves us to death and will be very loyal to you. I was working with a trainer and I had to pay for the classes up front so he does come with a 1 year training class to where they come to your house to work with him. This is breaking my heart and killing Nicholas's but I know this is the best thing to do. If you know anyone please let me know. Thanks so much. I am not asking anything for him, but a loving home where he will be loved like we love him. "

Please PM me if you or anyone you know are interested! I think this dog may be able to do a turn around with a new family...

Bloodhound

First, if the dog came from a responsible breeder, contact them. A responsible breeder will take that dog back in a heartbeat.

If that's not the case, contact a rescue organization so the dog can go to the best home possible:
    http://www.midwestbloodhoundrescue.com/

Comment

)

Thanks I will give them those suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Petekids View Post
        First, if the dog came from a responsible breeder, contact them. A responsible breeder will take that dog back in a heartbeat.

If that's not the case, contact a rescue organization so the dog can go to the best home possible:
        http://www.midwestbloodhoundrescue.com/
        this is most likely the best idea for this dog as it has a history of being a biter.Hes not biting Children He's biting anyone he does not like.This is a very large breed and I'm sorry to say this but he is a big risk to anyone that takes him in.

Comment

I just talked to the owners and they said that rescues do not want to take him because he's a biter. I never had ANY problems with him at my shop until they would come pick him up. He gets very protective ONLY AROUND THEM. He was actually playing with my dog for a while, then they showed up and he tried to go after her. So I'm thinking they are the root of his problem and moving him to some other family might help...We'll see what happens...

Comment

When you re home a known biter you will be held liable for future bites in most states!
            This is why rescues do not want to take him. If he bites around them how do you know that he would not start biting people around his new owners.
            Why can't his owners work with him and prevent contacts with strangers.
            It saddens me that every time a dog bites oner do not want to step up and take responsibility for that, instead they want to push their problem on somebody else. There is not much hope for dogs like that, unless owners "grow up" and deal with it like responsible dog owners and adults.

Comment

If they cannot find a rescue to take this dog in and they won't keep him,I'm sorry to say this but humane society or animal control may be their only option.He has more than one offense against him, he is a huge liability to anyone.

Comment

What caused the biting...

The thing that caused the biting to start was an incident where a dog attacked his owner. After his owner got attacked Duke bit the other dog to get him off his owner. So this is why he is so protective around ONLY his current family. I think now his over protection has spread to people...They do have training for him, and have been trying to work with him since the issue started...

Comment

What started the biting was their decision to allow their bloodhound to be the leader of their pack. They have a big, powerful working dog that they have chosen not to train, socialize or place limits on. He's not a housedog, is a big time chewer and can't be walked on leash. They have taught him he is in charge and taught him that it is ok to bite people and attack other dogs. Now they don't want him because of the very things they have taught him to do. So, they want to pass their problem on to someone else. Rescue is being responsible when they say they won't take a known biter, there are plenty of non-biting Bloodhounds they can spend their time and effort on.

So, they want to find him a "country" home where he can run and hunt? I shudder to think of the quality of home that is going to take him to the country and turn him loose to entertain himself! Living in the country, I deal with roaming dog after roaming dog. Why is it that people think bad dogs belong in the country? Move them to the country and suddenly all the behavior issues go away? Get real. Really, the neighbors in the country don't want to be bit any more than neighbors in the city want to be bit.

They can re-train their dog and manage him appropriately by preventing all access to people, or they should buck up and take responsibility for the problem they created and put him down. I'm actually flabbergasted they run a daycare and this dog has had to bite at least 2 people and attack multiple dogs before they have decided he may not be safe!

This may sound rough, but they are in complete denial if they really believe this dog is going to be no trouble to a new owner.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissNChow View Post
                    What started the biting was their decision to allow their bloodhound to be the leader of their pack. ... This may sound rough, but they are in complete denial if they really believe this dog is going to be no trouble to a new owner.
                    Since the problems are caused by the current owners, and he is ok when he gets brought in for grooming, I feel he may be better for a new family. Especially since this one sounds like they have given up on him. Why should they keep a dog they don't want? Don't you think it would be better off with someone willing to do the training? And willing to give it the love, attention & leadership it needs??? I do.

Also, before making assumptions about what they "taught him" you should know the situation. They love that dog, but OBVIOUSLY did not do the research on the breed. So it is not TEACHING him to bite other people & animals, it is NOT KNOWING how to stop it.

So though it is their fault that they didn't train him properly, I'm sure they will learn from this mistake. Don't judge before you know the full situation.
                    Last edited by alina1686; 12-11-09, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Alina, did I read that right?? You groom AND run a daycare? Barking dogs and crying kids all day long? Grrl, you got some stones on ya!
                      Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                      George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

No I run a doggy daycare & grooming...I can't stand kids lol...

Comment

I appologize that I misunderstood. From the original comments of watching children and one of the grandparents getting bit when they picked up their grandchild, it made it sound as though they watch children, thus running a daycare. The dog has access to strangers which lead me to believe the dog also has access to children. The dog bit a person, and then had access to bite another in a short period of time. The dog should have just barely gotten out of quarantine from the first bite, and already there is another victim. I hope they have him contained now.

As a dog trainer I see a lot of these situations. People are teaching their dogs from the moment they get them. They may have not set out to teach their dog to bite people, but through mismanagement and denial of a bad potential situation, they did indeed teach their dog to do just that--bite people and attack other dogs. Just because they didn't intend to teach that doesn't mean they didn't.

I don't doubt they love the dog. I am sure they love him very much. But love him to the point where he has not received rules, directions or the training he needs. Pretty unbalanced love and it has gotten them in trouble with their dog to the point they can't keep him. That is sad for everyone involved and doubly sad for the dog that has suffered because of that love. Now they are scared and though their intentions of finding him another home may be good, yet again, they have not thought that through.

They seem to have denied there was a serious issue until the dog started biting. That bite was not the first sign of trouble though certainly the one that most often makes people realize they must do something different. They are signed up for training, but are they training him? According to their own email, he's still chewing, pulling, barking, attacking dogs and now biting people. For two years they have ignored the problems, so I'm going to agree that they probably should not keep this dog. The question comes down to what to do with him. I do not believe it is responsible for them to put him into another home.

How many homes are out there that want to willingly take on a huge dog that has a multiple bite history and many behavior issues? How many people want to pay for that kind of insurance? Is the dog even insurable now that he bitten multiple people? If the dog has any access to people, then they are putting people at risk. They are also putting the very members of their family at risk. There are not many people who have the training and knowledge to take on a dog with multiple serious issues, and most people that do have that knowledge base will choose to get dogs they don't have to manage through those issues.

Maybe there is a home out there for a dog such as this. I take problem dogs, retrain them and rehome them, but I personally wouldn't take on a biting dog for the liability involved. Rescue won't take a dog such as this due to the liability. Placing one dog with a known bite history could shut them down. Unless this dog is put into a home that is going to step up, be the dog's leader and give him some serious instruction, he's going to maintain the same behavior with the next family. He'll transfer his loyalty in a matter of weeks and then be in the same situation with his new owners. Certainly his history says that he has bitten multiple times, so you have to believe he would do it again. What if the next victim is a child and those parents whos kid is now traumatized and scarred sue the previous owners of the dog for medical and emotional damages? The dog is a biter, and while he may not have bit a child yet, it's just because he hasn't, not because he won't. The owner states fear for her own child (appropriate that she is being protective), so there must be some validity in that fear. The owner knows this dog will bite again.

I'm just saying people are thinking with their hearts rather than thinking with their heads. As an outsider that does not know the dog, that is easier to do than when you have an emotional attachment to the dog.

Comment

Biter

I totally agree with SwissNChow!

Comment

Why rehoming a known biter is not My recomended action

Many years ago My once Brother in law was offered a beautiful huge red doberman .The original owner was looking for a new home for this dog because it had bit his child,My brother in law offered to take him as he felt he could offer a better home and training for this dog.A few months passed the dog was well behaved ,then one day his son went to give this dog a bowl of food the dog bite him for trying to feed him.Luckily the dog just nipped but he did break skin it could have been worse.Now My brother in law knows he cannot keep this dog as it has now bit his child as well as the original owners child.My other brother in law insisted on taking this dog knowing his background he still insisted.Instead of taking this dog to the shelter to be dealt with my 2nd Brother in law takes this dog in keeps him for a full yr no issues .His teenage son was feeding him one day and his little brother age 4 wanted to help so he let his little brother give this dog his food unfortunately they trusted this dog after a yr of trust.This dog lunged at my nephew with full intent to do harm to the child who was feeding him.My nephew received well over 1000 stitched in his face to re-secure it .This dog ripped off a 4 yr y old boys face .and his ear.My nephew went through countless numbers of reconstructive surgery due to his father haste and reckless attempt of keeping a dog he knew from the start was not safe as a companion.Please think long and hard when trying to re home these types of dogs.A dog that cannot be trusted is not a good dog to place in a home.No matter what the new owners intentions may be of retraining this type of dog is like playing Russian roulette.

Comment

Working...
                              X