Blood on the Poodle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood on the Poodle

Really super sweet std poodle with european owners. Short body, huge top knot but since it was raining -- he looked like Mo from the 3 stooges. The other gal was working on him and when I went to lunch she was working on the matts in the ears and top knot. I called as I was coming back and she was hysterical saying blood was coming from a hole in the dog's stomach. I felt like the wind was knocked out of me. I kept asking, were you scissoring and accidentally poked the dog, did the dog lay on something, etc etc. She kept saying she was just finishing and saw the blood. She literally is waiting ... leaning out of the door as I arrive. It really did seem like a lot of blood and I kept thinking ... what did she do. Well after cleaning up and seeing what was underneath ... she had been brushing one last time and her slicker caught on a skin tag and pulled it off (it was still in her brush). We got the bleeding stopped, was cleaned and some liquid bandage to seal.

The owner was calm and didn't even flinch when we showed him the wound (size of a head of a small nail) but the rest of the day I kept harrassing the other gal about blood gushing from the dogs stomache. She really needs some new adjectives. I think I got 40 new gray hairs.

Hate those skin tags

Especially if they are dry and crusty those suckers always bleed like crazy.

I'm glad that is all it was.

I was trying to scrub out what I thought was an eye booger on an old dirty cocker one time and yep it was a dry crusty skin tag that proceeded to spurt blood and being in the corner of the eye not much I could do but hold some moistened gauze on it with pressure until thank goodness it stopped pretty quickly.

I felt awful and told the guy how sorry I was and how the poor dog didn't even flinch or seem to know he was bleeding at all just sat there and let me do what I needed to and the guy just giggled and gave me a $15.00 tip.

Comment

We had a new groomer who did a bichon. After the owners picked the dog up, they called back saying: my dog's penis is bleeding. OMG. Are you kidding me? So we all thought the groomer had cut the end of the penis off.....when the dog got there we saw it was a minor nick on the sheath and the bleeding had stopped on its own. Talk about a heart attack!!!!

Comment

Oh gosh, hpw many lives did you lose there? At my last job vocabulary was VERY important. It wasn't a "cage" it was a "kennel", we were not allowed to say "blood", "gash", "cut", "slice", "bleeding" etc, my boss also didn't like works like "penis", "anus", "rectum", "feces" etc ESPECIALLY when talking to a client. Made it interesting when I had to discuss an issue with a client.

Stephen: That's great mylady. My mother wrote the New Language for Pet Care Businesses back in early 90's, and then Melissa Verplank added something similar in Theory of 5. What else, well so many in our New Language but one I have OFTEN heard from pet owners, is "I never go back there because I heard the groomer say to someone she was throwing the dog into the tub and it will be ready soon." Humans use words to send pictures to. I have a picture in my mind and to get you to see the same, we describe and pet owners often misunderstand. We will be re-releasing the New Language title later in 2012, in Advanced Client Relations, another title in the series, Grooming Business in a Box, but this time with audio files and more.
        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

My eyes turned the size of saucers when I read the first part of your post. Oy, what a nightmare. Glad it was just a skin tag. just take it "Nice n' Easy" tonight...

Comment

Wow!,,yes, it DOES seem like those skin tags have the best blood supply, and a direct artery running thru them. Ug.
            Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

"Yes, Mrs Smith your dog is nearly finished, we just have to use the blaster to dry him" LOL

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                Oh gosh, hpw many lives did you lose there? At my last job vocabulary was VERY important. It wasn't a "cage" it was a "kennel", we were not allowed to say "blood", "gash", "cut", "slice", "bleeding" etc, my boss also didn't like works like "penis", "anus", "rectum", "feces" etc ESPECIALLY when talking to a client. Made it interesting when I had to discuss an issue with a client.
                I get (and agree with) the general idea, but what did you say instead of "blood" and "anus" ? And to me, any other word for "penis" (when talking with a customer) sounds silly.

The imagined alternatives are sometimes funny, though. "My clippers made a small separation in the skin and some liquid red stuff came out." LOL
                The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

I have found, and I believe Helly brought this up to, many times when groomers are referring to the penis, it's actually the sheath instead.
                  Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

'Blood on the Poodle'.....sounds like the name of some English punk group album.

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                      I have found, and I believe Helly brought this up to, many times when groomers are referring to the penis, it's actually the sheath instead.
                      Given that I actually once used the word "sheath" and got a blank stare, I think I'll continue with the dreaded "P" word, lol.
                      The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Working...
                      X