UPDATE on Collie w/ Red Mange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE on Collie w/ Red Mange

As you know I was asking about Red Mange in a Collie that the owner deided they couldn't or wouldn't treat. Sounds like the Red Mange is only on the head but the vet told them without treatment that it was going to get way worse. After reading what you guys had to say about Red Mange I kinda think it might be worse than they led me to believe. I don't know. Anyway I got in touch with the Collie rescue in N.C and they have agreed to take the dog. I am so thrilled. Apparently after being diagnosed they banished the dog to the pasture with the horses and goats and the horses are biting her. It's been raining and cold all day here and of course I've been thinking about her all day. I hope she goes and gets treated and finds the best forever home ever. Hooray for rescues!!!
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

If the dog has Sarcoptic Mange this is highly contagious not only to dogs, But to humans as well and goats and horses the list goes on.
    this may give a bit of incite on the extent of this dogs condition not only for the dogs well being but for the family and other animals and live stock they may keep.Not to mention its a very informative reference for several issues.
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...rd=red%2cmange
    I wish this dog the best

Comment

Contagious BUT

I think a healthy pet/person is fairly resistant, in general. I know some may be more susceptible (like I am to ringworm), but generally a bit of hygiene and separation will probably go a long way.

Comment

Red mange not contagious!

Uh, just "refreshed" myself by reading up, since I did not know which mange the "red" one is - guess what, it's the demodectic, which is NOT contagious!!

This happens frequently in puppies, plus you can almost guarantee it in a dog given many steroid shots in too short a time (it compromises the immune system, so the mange starts to appear - in a healthy animal it is present, but kept in check).

So this dog will likely be a very easy "cure" - good food, no toxins into the system, plus they can do the vet med as an addition. Surgery or shots at this time would NOT be good, so I hope the Collie Rescue is aware of this.

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
          If the dog has Sarcoptic Mange this is highly contagious not only to dogs, stock they may keep.http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...rd=red%2cmange
          I wish this dog the best
          Red mange is demodecosis, not sarcoptic mange. And it is NOT contagious to anything, even other dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
            Red mange is demodecosis, not sarcoptic mange. And it is NOT contagious to anything, even other dogs.
            Yes this I do know ,However if it turns out to be not red mange and is in fact sarcoptic as she made the comment it may be much worse than expected.I have not had the privilege of experiencing this issue all info I have read about it has been minuet, just sharing with helpful resources so others may read up on issues at hand personally.
            the link I posted above is an actual veterinarian recourse manual nothing more.

Comment

Outlook looks good for this one! Rescue saves the day! But you know, demodex can be quite stubborn. I had a hound years ago with generalized demodex. It took a year of treatment-dips and injections. Collies can't take ivermectin injections, but hopefully it's not that bad.
              That Tenacious Terrier!
              www.thattenaciousterrier.com
              https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Originally posted by Canopener Sally View Post
                Outlook looks good for this one! Rescue saves the day! But you know, demodex can be quite stubborn. I had a hound years ago with generalized demodex. It took a year of treatment-dips and injections. Collies can't take ivermectin injections, but hopefully it's not that bad.
                WHICH IS WHY the long acting PROMERIS works. It stays in contact better than dips....
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
                  Yes this I do know ,However if it turns out to be not red mange and is in fact sarcoptic as she made the comment it may be much worse than expected.I have not had the privilege of experiencing this issue all info I have read about it has been minuet, just sharing with helpful resources so others may read up on issues at hand personally.
                  the link I posted above is an actual veterinarian recourse manual nothing more.
                  If the vet in question refered to it as red mange, I doubt he meant sarcoptic. And in truth, demodecosis can be much more serious, and much more difficult to treat, than sarcoptic mange.

If the lesions are generalized, it's going to take quite a long time to get it under control, if control is even possible. This is doubley true in the case of a Collie. In the mean time, the dog is very prone to secondary bacterial infections, some of which can be quite deadly.

I lost two dogs to this disease. It was just overwhelming. The dogs in question were Dalmatians, from different breeders. But both dogs didn't have strong enough immune systems to fight the mites off.

Sarcoptic mange is much easier to treat. If the dog in question cannot take the usual medications used to treat it, there's always lime supher dips, which will knock it out fairly quickly. But it stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                    WHICH IS WHY the long acting PROMERIS works. It stays in contact better than dips....
                    This was nearly ten years ago and I'm not up to date on demodex treatment options. I'll look that up.
                    That Tenacious Terrier!
                    www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                    https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post

Yeah. It' works. Except when it doesn't. Not all cases of demodecosis are curable, the rare case pops up when it's not even controllable.

Much depends on what's happening with the dog's immune system. If it ain't working, for whatever reason, you can haze the mites with tacticle nuclear weapons and you still won't get rid of them.

Comment

Question? just a curiosity if a lime sulfa shampoo will help what about regular tar sulfa shampoos helpful ?maybe? like I said I have had no experience with this before.

Comment

Working...
                        X