acrobatic dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acrobatic dog

So today I'm feeling a little like more of an idiot than usual.

I had a one year old shih tzu that I attempted to groom today (I say attempted because I finally gave up). This dog should be considered for the next summer olympics. It would jump, tug, swirl, pull on the loop until it started choking, try to dive off the table etc... I couldn't do much with him so I finally gave up. Luckily it was only my sisters dog so no harm done. But is there some secret handling technique for these acrobatic dogs or am I going to have to break down and try the groomer's helper?

Dogs like these make a newbie like myself question my sanity.
    And be gentle, I'm tender.

it could be because

you are related, so to speak. senses he can get away with it. lol at the description though ........ acrobatic dog!

Comment

Too bad you had such a tough time. Has it ever been groomed before? If not, you have to treat it as a puppy who has never been done before as they usually are scared. I've had some that had such a bad experience with other groomers that they take a long time to trust you. You just have to have lots of patience. Sometimes you can cradle them in one arm while rubbing a clipper with no blade on it (so you can't accidentally cut something) with the other hand until they calm down. The groomers helper could help too. Would it behave any better if your sister was there? Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Jedd View Post
        So today I'm feeling a little like more of an idiot than usual.

I had a one year old shih tzu that I attempted to groom today (I say attempted because I finally gave up). This dog should be considered for the next summer olympics. It would jump, tug, swirl, pull on the loop until it started choking, try to dive off the table etc... I couldn't do much with him so I finally gave up. Luckily it was only my sisters dog so no harm done. But is there some secret handling technique for these acrobatic dogs or am I going to have to break down and try the groomer's helper?

Dogs like these make a newbie like myself question my sanity.
        And be gentle, I'm tender.
        Your a dog groomer of course your sanity is questionable lol.
        for dogs like this I like to add a grooming loop under one arm pit,it can be more taught than the neck loop.when he pulls its not pushing on his throat, But you can still have one on his neck for your safety and when switching armpits hes still in a loop(harder to get free).Many times the technique is patients.when a dog starts to spazz or flip or tug pull bite etc. I do a quick blow right in the dogs face.its an attention getter but keep your face away from his.this many times causes the dog to focus on something other than what you are doing.Encourage him by speaking to him calmly in a low tone of voice (no high pitch squeaks this excites them and makes them harder to calm).If this dog happens to be young and inexperienced with the whole grooming thing,I like to do a test run with my clippers over the whole dogs without touching him with a blade.I run the side of the clipper itself along the sides, the back feet,head, ears etc. once they get used to the noise and vibration of the clippers and become relaxed then I will start to clip.If they start to react again, I do the rub thing again till relaxed and start again.It can be a long drown out process and time consuming but IME it has been well worth the extra effort and time .

Comment

GROOMERS HELPER, I work alone and literally saved my butt! I love this little device and could'nt do near the dogs I do alone without it!
          I'm growing now, and have help but the GH WILL BE ON EVERY STATION!
          Need to ask chuck about a TUB GH? Have'nt used it there but think theres probably a way....to help with those swirlers!

Comment

I tell owners to wear out their pups before bringing them in. Take them on a walk, don't let them nap, whatever. Makes my part of the job easier. It's easier to train a tired pup

I also tell owners to tire their dogs out BEFORE they try to practice brushing or handling their feet at home, because they seem to have better luck that way. I think Caesar even says something like "a tired dog is a good dog."

Comment

Working...
            X