Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting bows in the ears??????? I CAN'T do it!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting bows in the ears??????? I CAN'T do it!!!!

can anyone tell me HOW to fasten bows to the ears?? I have tried, but the coat I fasten the bows to just sticks out. Am I supposedd to use thread instead of bands to fasten them??? Is there any good resources on the internet that explains this or anything??? I'm quite flustered with trying to accomplish this task..............

Thanks, Vicki

Just put the bow on the collar and tell the client that bows cause cancer when attached directly to any part of a dog.

Comment

when I put bows on I use hemostats I wrap the band around the hemostats 4-6 times depending on tightness(you have to be able to open them part way.then take a small amount of hair clip with hemostats and slide the band onto the hair.I hope this makes sense to you.I have had clients come in a full yr later(obviously not regularly groomed clients lol) with bows still attached.

Comment

I put several loops around the end of a locking hemostat. Here's how Melissa Verplank does it. This is a good video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oSt3b6QU6g&NR=1

Comment

I have used the Hemostat technique as well....it works pretty good. The only thing I like to do different is get the hair a little damp (I run a damp cloth over the piece of hair I am attaching the bow too) and twist it. If I don't the hair will bunch up and get super messy looking.
          A good book is (if I am remembering correctly) Whiskers by M. Verplank. I THINK she goes over how to put a bow in (somebody pipe in if I am wrong) as well as how to make different bows. It is a pretty cheap buy (around 15.00) and well worth it......I have referred to it a few times for bow making!
          Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
          Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

youre not the only one i cant put bows in either,one will look good but the other wont always lopsided

Comment

I do what pooh says works every time and very quickly!
              I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Comment

If you go to Melissa VerPlanks website she has a short video that shows you how. I hate putting those dang things in. I tell my customers the dogs don't like it. lol
                www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabearwith2 View Post
                  I put several loops around the end of a locking hemostat. Here's how Melissa Verplank does it. This is a good video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oSt3b6QU6g&NR=1
                  this is exactly how I do it, thanx for the vid

Comment

Yup, that is what I do....just like the video (except for I get it damp)....can anyone tell me what that was sticking out of that dogs mouth? Looked like a tongue but it was almost white....lol
                    Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
                    Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

I'm very good at putting bows in, using the hemostat technique. Let me share a few things I have learned over the years: Some types of hair, usually wispy drop coats, simply don't hold bows well. No matter what you do, they will twist around, even if you use more hair! I've even tried a double rubber band - the bow in the top section, then a second band below it with extra hair. I have found that with the troublesome wispier hair, the tinier the bow the better. If it is too heavy, it is a waste of time. Sometimes, a 'never upside down bow' is the best option.

If you still have trouble, try putting the bows on tiny barrettes instead. I have a hard time finding them anywhere, but when I do, the owners especially like that they can take them out and put them back in themselves. If the dog is not a frequent flyer member, they can take them out and BRUSH the ears and replace them so they don't come back to me with ear mats : )

Comment

one of the girls I work with purchased baby combs they are bows on tiny hair combs ,She uses them on her whippet and her chihuahuas and they stay in .she got them overseas somewhere

Comment

If you are ever in the Guelph area, stop by and we'll have a bow placing session. I'd love to meet more groomers in the area. PM me if that works for you.
                          "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

try tying the bow itself to the hair then do quick backcomb to the bow. smooth down with the comb.
                            ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

thanks for posting the video!!! QUESTION........does the hair not bunch up when you slide the band up?? I'm gonna try it.............it does look awfully easy, so I hope I can finally get the bows in the ears.

Cat Crazy, if I am ever in the guelph area I will certainly look you up!!! I'm near london, so I'm about an hour away.

Thanks again, Vicki

Comment

Working...
                              X